Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Replacing CMOS battery - need visual Step-By-Step

Replacing CMOS battery - need visual Step-By-Step

Ed

I have a remote user that has an older Pentium class system. The PC is in
need of a new CMOS battery.
Rather than shipping the PC cross-country or taking it to a local shop, the
user wants to attempt changing the battery himself.

I believe it's a button-type and not soldered in, so the first hurdle is
cleared.

What I'm looking for is a step-by-step instruction (with graphics) for
changing the battery.
This is a BEGINNER user who had trouble finding the "ON" switch for the
monitor a few weeks back, but I think with the
proper instruction and some pictures, he should be able to handle this task.
If not then I go to "Plan B" (whatever that is).

I understand the battery will be in different places on different MB's but
he should be able to recognize it.

Anyway.... do any of you regulars know where I can find a step-by-step with
illustrations (so I don't have to make one myself)?

TIA

Ed

olfart

"Ed" <emalphrus@remove_this.yahoo.com> wrote in message
newsXDcb.545$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I have a remote user that has an older Pentium class system. The PC is in
> need of a new CMOS battery.
> Rather than shipping the PC cross-country or taking it to a local shop,

the
> user wants to attempt changing the battery himself.
>
> I believe it's a button-type and not soldered in, so the first hurdle is
> cleared.
>
> What I'm looking for is a step-by-step instruction (with graphics) for
> changing the battery.
> This is a BEGINNER user who had trouble finding the "ON" switch for the
> monitor a few weeks back, but I think with the
> proper instruction and some pictures, he should be able to handle this

task.
> If not then I go to "Plan B" (whatever that is).
>
> I understand the battery will be in different places on different MB's but
> he should be able to recognize it.
>
> Anyway.... do any of you regulars know where I can find a step-by-step

with
> illustrations (so I don't have to make one myself)?
>
> TIA
>
> Ed

Did he get an instruction book with the machine? Many times there is a
section in there on replacing the battery.

why?

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:35:48 GMT, Ed wrote:

>I have a remote user that has an older Pentium class system. The PC is in
>need of a new CMOS battery.
>Rather than shipping the PC cross-country or taking it to a local shop, the
>user wants to attempt changing the battery himself.
>
>I believe it's a button-type and not soldered in, so the first hurdle is
>cleared.
>
>What I'm looking for is a step-by-step instruction (with graphics) for
>changing the battery.

Since you are more aware of the user skill level, you could somply
search www.google.com there are many images of the cmos battery and/ or
change notes. You could pick the best one you think would help.

Try looking for 'guide change cmos battery'

Pictures of cmos battery
http://images.google.com/

>This is a BEGINNER user who had trouble finding the "ON" switch for the
>monitor a few weeks back, but I think with the

<snip>

Me

Ed

"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bkv28e$6cacn$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "Ed" <emalphrus@remove_this.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> newsXDcb.545$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > I have a remote user that has an older Pentium class system. The PC is

in
> > need of a new CMOS battery.
> > Rather than shipping the PC cross-country or taking it to a local shop,

> the
> > user wants to attempt changing the battery himself.
> >
> > I believe it's a button-type and not soldered in, so the first hurdle is
> > cleared.
> >
> > What I'm looking for is a step-by-step instruction (with graphics) for
> > changing the battery.
> > This is a BEGINNER user who had trouble finding the "ON" switch for the
> > monitor a few weeks back, but I think with the
> > proper instruction and some pictures, he should be able to handle this

> task.
> > If not then I go to "Plan B" (whatever that is).
> >
> > I understand the battery will be in different places on different MB's

but
> > he should be able to recognize it.
> >
> > Anyway.... do any of you regulars know where I can find a step-by-step

> with
> > illustrations (so I don't have to make one myself)?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Ed
> >

> Did he get an instruction book with the machine? Many times there is a
> section in there on replacing the battery.

No, VERY old system. I'll defer to "Why?" and get back to googl'ing.

Ed

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:35:48 GMT, Ed wrote:
>
> >I have a remote user that has an older Pentium class system. The PC is in
> >need of a new CMOS battery.
> >Rather than shipping the PC cross-country or taking it to a local shop,

the
> >user wants to attempt changing the battery himself.
> >
> >I believe it's a button-type and not soldered in, so the first hurdle is
> >cleared.
> >
> >What I'm looking for is a step-by-step instruction (with graphics) for
> >changing the battery.

> Since you are more aware of the user skill level, you could somply
> search www.google.com there are many images of the cmos battery and/ or
> change notes. You could pick the best one you think would help.
>
> Try looking for 'guide change cmos battery'
>
> Pictures of cmos battery
> http://images.google.com/
>

> >This is a BEGINNER user who had trouble finding the "ON" switch for the
> >monitor a few weeks back, but I think with the

> <snip>
>
> Me

Thanks.... this guy is going to need it from "Step 1: there are six screws
on the back of the case... Step 2: You need a Phillips screwdriver, not a
flat screwdriver." etc.

I just dont want to ship a PC cross country to change a battery.... I'll
start with the battery pix from Google and see where I can get to from
there.

Thx again.

Brian H供

Ed said:

> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:35:48 GMT, Ed wrote:
>>
>>> I have a remote user that has an older Pentium class system. The PC is in
>>> need of a new CMOS battery.
>>> Rather than shipping the PC cross-country or taking it to a local shop, the
>>> user wants to attempt changing the battery himself.
>>>
>>> I believe it's a button-type and not soldered in, so the first hurdle is
>>> cleared.
>>>
>>> What I'm looking for is a step-by-step instruction (with graphics) for
>>> changing the battery.

>> Since you are more aware of the user skill level, you could somply
>> search www.google.com there are many images of the cmos battery and/ or
>> change notes. You could pick the best one you think would help.
>>
>> Try looking for 'guide change cmos battery'
>>
>> Pictures of cmos battery
>> http://images.google.com/
>>

>>> This is a BEGINNER user who had trouble finding the "ON" switch for the
>>> monitor a few weeks back, but I think with the

>> <snip>
>>
>> Me

> Thanks.... this guy is going to need it from "Step 1: there are six screws
> on the back of the case... Step 2: You need a Phillips screwdriver, not a
> flat screwdriver." etc.
>
> I just dont want to ship a PC cross country to change a battery.... I'll
> start with the battery pix from Google and see where I can get to from
> there.
>
> Thx again.

If this guy had trouble finding the ON switch, how is he going to cope with
handling his BIOS settings after they have reset to factory default after
removing the CMOS battery?

Ed

"Brian H供" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:miEcb.4092$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ed said:
>
> > "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

in

shop, the

is

> >> Since you are more aware of the user skill level, you could somply
> >> search www.google.com there are many images of the cmos battery and/ or
> >> change notes. You could pick the best one you think would help.
> >>
> >> Try looking for 'guide change cmos battery'
> >>
> >> Pictures of cmos battery
> >> http://images.google.com/

the
> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> Me

> > Thanks.... this guy is going to need it from "Step 1: there are six

screws
> > on the back of the case... Step 2: You need a Phillips screwdriver, not

> > flat screwdriver." etc.
> >
> > I just dont want to ship a PC cross country to change a battery.... I'll
> > start with the battery pix from Google and see where I can get to from
> > there.
> >
> > Thx again.

> If this guy had trouble finding the ON switch, how is he going to cope

with
> handling his BIOS settings after they have reset to factory default after
> removing the CMOS battery?

I'm praying for a miracle and that he will replace it QUICKLY.

This guy also lost the START button in Windows98. Took me an hour to find it
over the phone.

bill@nospam.net

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:56:27 GMT, "Ed"
<emalphrus@remove_this.yahoo.com> wrote:

>"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bkv28e$6cacn$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>>
>> "Ed" <emalphrus@remove_this.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> newsXDcb.545$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> > I have a remote user that has an older Pentium class system. The PC is

>in
>> > need of a new CMOS battery.
>> > Rather than shipping the PC cross-country or taking it to a local shop,

>> the
>> > user wants to attempt changing the battery himself.
>> >
>> > I believe it's a button-type and not soldered in, so the first hurdle is
>> > cleared.
>> >
>> > What I'm looking for is a step-by-step instruction (with graphics) for
>> > changing the battery.
>> > This is a BEGINNER user who had trouble finding the "ON" switch for the
>> > monitor a few weeks back, but I think with the
>> > proper instruction and some pictures, he should be able to handle this

>> task.
>> > If not then I go to "Plan B" (whatever that is).
>> >
>> > I understand the battery will be in different places on different MB's

>but
>> > he should be able to recognize it.
>> >
>> > Anyway.... do any of you regulars know where I can find a step-by-step

>> with
>> > illustrations (so I don't have to make one myself)?
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >
>> > Ed
>> >

>> Did he get an instruction book with the machine? Many times there is a
>> section in there on replacing the battery.
>>

>No, VERY old system. I'll defer to "Why?" and get back to googl'ing.

HP have a very good guide under its support section.

BillH
Cornwall, UK.

Brian H供

Ed said:

> "Brian H供" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:miEcb.4092$%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ed said:
>>
>>> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Thanks.... this guy is going to need it from "Step 1: there are six screws
>>> on the back of the case... Step 2: You need a Phillips screwdriver, not a
>>> flat screwdriver." etc.
>>>
>>> I just dont want to ship a PC cross country to change a battery.... I'll
>>> start with the battery pix from Google and see where I can get to from
>>> there.
>>>
>>> Thx again.

>> If this guy had trouble finding the ON switch, how is he going to cope with
>> handling his BIOS settings after they have reset to factory default after
>> removing the CMOS battery?
>>

> I'm praying for a miracle and that he will replace it QUICKLY.

I read people saying that you need to leave the CMOS battery out for 30 seconds
to 1 minute to clear CMOS, yet on every pc I have replaced the battery on, the
CMOS was cleared within a couple of seconds, and certainly by the time I swapped
the new one in, even doing it quickly.

> This guy also lost the START button in Windows98. Took me an hour to find it
> over the phone.

Brian H供

Brian H供 said:

> Ed said:
>
>> "Brian H供" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:miEcb.4092$%(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> If this guy had trouble finding the ON switch, how is he going to cope with
>>> handling his BIOS settings after they have reset to factory default after
>>> removing the CMOS battery?
>>>

>> I'm praying for a miracle and that he will replace it QUICKLY.

> I read people saying that you need to leave the CMOS battery out for 30
> seconds to 1 minute to clear CMOS, yet on every pc I have replaced the
> battery on, the CMOS was cleared within a couple of seconds, and certainly by
> the time I swapped the new one in, even doing it quickly.

BIOS :-S