Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > System Restore Problem

System Restore Problem

Robert

Hi, I have a a problem with Windows XP Home.
I need to restore my system to a date.
When I run restore,Windows shuts down and starts to restore the files,it
freezes at about 80% I have to turn the computer off. Why does restore fail
?

Would be grateful for some advice.
Robert

trotsky

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ngecb.9507$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I have a a problem with Windows XP Home.
> I need to restore my system to a date.
> When I run restore,Windows shuts down and starts to restore the files,it
> freezes at about 80% I have to turn the computer off. Why does restore

fail
> ?
>
> Would be grateful for some advice.
> Robert

If you can get windows running, run scandisk, try to UNDO the last updates
of any software or any other last performed stupidity only you know of, try
restore again, if it fails again, forget about that restorefile.
Next time you think you have windows running properly, create a backup of a
_restore.

Why do you need to restore anyway?

Robert

I deleted a folder by accident and when I boot up I get an error ( cant find
etc)
Out of interest where is scandisk in Win XP ?
Thanks
Robert

"trotsky" <1@2.3> wrote in message
news:3f71732d$0$10182$(E-Mail Removed)4al l.nl...
> "Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ngecb.9507$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, I have a a problem with Windows XP Home.
> > I need to restore my system to a date.
> > When I run restore,Windows shuts down and starts to restore the files,it
> > freezes at about 80% I have to turn the computer off. Why does restore

> fail
> > ?
> >
> > Would be grateful for some advice.
> > Robert
> >

> If you can get windows running, run scandisk, try to UNDO the last updates
> of any software or any other last performed stupidity only you know of,

try
> restore again, if it fails again, forget about that restorefile.
> Next time you think you have windows running properly, create a backup of

> _restore.
>
> Why do you need to restore anyway?

Patrick

Robert wrote:
> I deleted a folder by accident and when I boot up I get an error (
> cant find etc)
> Out of interest where is scandisk in Win XP ?
> Thanks
> Robert

It isn't!,
XP dosn't use (or have) 'SCANDISK', instead it uses 'CHKDSK'
To use CHKDSK; goto properties of drive (right-click drive, select
Properties), select 'Tools' tab
Press 'Check Now' button, you'll have a few options (full-check etc.,).
If you are wanting to check the SystemDrive then you will be told that it
can't be run right-away, but do you want to run it on next reboot, say Yes,
(reboot if you want to do it now).

Or CHKDSK can be run from a Command-Prompt, type at Command-Prompt;
CHKDSK /? [Enter]