Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Agent won't display jpg files

Agent won't display jpg files

Solar^

Anyone know why Agent won't display jpg files in XP home?
Keeps saying that file is not associated with any MIME file type. Then
when I look for the MIME app, all that I get is the Agent/Data folder.

why?

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:57:35 -0500, Solar^ wrote:

If you save a .jpg, (it's .jpg you are seeing rather then .jpeg) and
launch that from Windows Explorer, what application defaults to open a
jpg file?

>Anyone know why Agent won't display jpg files in XP home?
>Keeps saying that file is not associated with any MIME file type. Then
>when I look for the MIME app, all that I get is the Agent/Data folder.

When you select a post containing a jpg, is there an icon showing the
associated application? For example My default is the Irfan red blob
icon, telling me IrfanView will open the file. However if I goto
PaintShopPro and the File Associations menu and select 'All' the
(restart Agent) the preview Icon changes to a PSP icon.

You mean from the Agent menu, Option / General Preferences / MIME types?

I have ,

Type / Subtype - image/jpeg
Extensions - jpg,jpeg
Application IrfanView JPG file.

(doing the PSP change mentioned above, the Application now says PSP 7
Image instead.)

Do you have an entry like that, or can you create an entry, for your
cause fill in the application box using browse to find the application
that loaded the jpg file above (top of the msg)

It's also worth getting IrfanView (it's freeware)
http://www.irfanview.com/ anyway, I associated all image extensions
(Options / Set file assiciations) with it and use it to preview pictures
all the time. For that it's worth getting for the rest of the features
it's a must have utility.

My XP box is disconnected, so a couple of examples with WinNT4/Win2000.

You could also check the association via (on NT4/2000) open a command
prompt type

assoc > filesassoc.txt

This creates a textfile called fileassoc.txt listing the file extensions
and what opens them, have a look at that.

Type 'exit' , without the '' to close the cmd prompt.

Also ,

In Win2000,
Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / File Types and check the
settings for the file extension there.

In NT4
Windows Explorer / View / Options / File Types/

Me.

Solar^

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:30:14 GMT, why?

>If you save a .jpg, (it's .jpg you are seeing rather then .jpeg) and
>launch that from Windows Explorer, what application defaults to open a
>jpg file?

The icon I'm getting is just the Forte Agent Icon. When I save the
file to a folder, I can then open it with Windows Picture and Fax
Viewer. I'd like to install that to handle the jpgs, but have done
numerous searches for its location and have come up empty. Will look
into irfanview and thanks for the reply, why?

Ray

Solar^ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
[snip]
>Will look into irfanview

I think you will like Irfan View. I use it with Xnews. Unlike some other
image programs you can size the image to fit the screen by just clicking
the "Enter" key so no scrolling needed to see the whole picture. Once you
hit the "Enter" you can also step through a whole file of pictures just by
pressing a mouse key to move to the next.

why?

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:22:46 -0500, Solar^ wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:30:14 GMT, why?
>
>>If you save a .jpg, (it's .jpg you are seeing rather then .jpeg) and
>>launch that from Windows Explorer, what application defaults to open a
>>jpg file?

>The icon I'm getting is just the Forte Agent Icon. When I save the
>file to a folder, I can then open it with Windows Picture and Fax
>Viewer. I'd like to install that to handle the jpgs, but have done

www.google.com
Searched English pages for ms picture and fax viewer.

There should be something in the first dozen or so hits, there is info
about how to disable P&F viewer, registry keys to look at for the file
association will tell you the programs details.

5 minutes at www.google.com

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com...?threadid=5073
P & F seems to be running off another process and it's not a standalone
app. The bottom of that thread also mentions changing to IrfanView.

>numerous searches for its location and have come up empty. Will look

Open up task manager and see what new process appears when you launch a
jpg?

>into irfanview and thanks for the reply, why?

YW.

Me

Solar^

Thanks why?, irfanview fixed me up.
Regards
Solar^

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:03:44 -0500, Solar^ wrote:

>Thanks why?, irfanview fixed me up.
>Regards
>Solar^

YW.

>On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:57:35 -0500, Solar^ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Anyone know why Agent won't display jpg files in XP home?
>>Keeps saying that file is not associated with any MIME file type. Then

<snip>

Me