Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PP on projector

PP on projector

Neil Greenough

Hi,

I'm doing a presentation in university tomorrow, and have to bring my laptop
in to uni as presentation is too big to save onto disk. Anyway, the lecturer
will be plugging in a projector into my laptop so that it can be shown on
the big screen. The problem is, will this project audio? I've got some video
clips in my presentation, however I don't think that my laptop speakers will
be loud enough to fill a classroom! Also, what ports do these projectors
normally plug into? Do they use drivers too?

Thanks in advance!

matthew rowe

Alot of projectors do have audio, some don't. Usually projectors plug into
a VGA socket a blue D-SUB with 15 pins on the back of your laptop.

"Neil Greenough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bknneq$l6v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm doing a presentation in university tomorrow, and have to bring my

laptop
> in to uni as presentation is too big to save onto disk. Anyway, the

lecturer
> will be plugging in a projector into my laptop so that it can be shown on
> the big screen. The problem is, will this project audio? I've got some

video
> clips in my presentation, however I don't think that my laptop speakers

will
> be loud enough to fill a classroom! Also, what ports do these projectors
> normally plug into? Do they use drivers too?
>
> Thanks in advance!

ilmc

Neil Greenough typed:
> Hi,
>
> I'm doing a presentation in university tomorrow, and have to bring my
> laptop in to uni as presentation is too big to save onto disk.
> Anyway, the lecturer will be plugging in a projector into my laptop
> so that it can be shown on the big screen. The problem is, will this
> project audio? I've got some video clips in my presentation, however
> I don't think that my laptop speakers will be loud enough to fill a
> classroom! Also, what ports do these projectors normally plug into?
> Do they use drivers too?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Its a few years since I played with projectors, but they all plugged into
the (analogue) video port of a pc. Some had audio jacks as well. As long
as you can make your laptop match one of the projectors screen resolution,
you should get a picture (might be cropped).
HTH

Another Airnet User

In article <bknneq$l6v$(E-Mail Removed)>,

>Hi,
>
>I'm doing a presentation in university tomorrow, and have to bring my laptop
>in to uni as presentation is too big to save onto disk. Anyway, the lecturer
>will be plugging in a projector into my laptop so that it can be shown on
>the big screen. The problem is, will this project audio? I've got some video
>clips in my presentation, however I don't think that my laptop speakers will
>be loud enough to fill a classroom! Also, what ports do these projectors
>normally plug into? Do they use drivers too?

The projectors typically plug into the external vga monitor port on a laptop -
typically a blue colored port. A few projectors have speakers, but they may
not be much louder than your laptop's speakers. You'd need to have an audio
cable for the headphone/speaker miniplug out to go to whatever audio input
they have available at the presentation location. I wouldn't be surpised if
they don't have a setup for getting the audio from the laptop to the PA system
in the room unless you ask about and get it setup in advance.

No drivers needed for any of these setups.

TAJ Simmons

Neil,

What everyone else said.
But also.....no drivers are needed.

Also have a read of this page (regarding video clips and projectors and
laptops).
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00467.htm

Cheers
TAJ Simmons
microsoft powerpoint mvp

awesome - powerpoint backgrounds,
free sample templates, tutorials, hints and tips etc
http://www.powerpointbackgrounds.com

"Neil Greenough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bknneq$l6v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm doing a presentation in university tomorrow, and have to bring my

laptop
> in to uni as presentation is too big to save onto disk. Anyway, the

lecturer
> will be plugging in a projector into my laptop so that it can be shown on
> the big screen. The problem is, will this project audio? I've got some

video
> clips in my presentation, however I don't think that my laptop speakers

will
> be loud enough to fill a classroom! Also, what ports do these projectors
> normally plug into? Do they use drivers too?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Ute Simon

Hi Neil,
projectors usually have speakers (though they are usually not very good
quality), so it will be possible to hear the sound of your video clips! How
good - depends of the classroom, whether it's a small one for 10 students or
a large one for 100 ... (If you have any additional PC speakers, why not
take them with you. I have very small ones for my portable CD-Player, but
they are better than those built in in my laptop, anyway. And they are
sufficient for a class of appr. 20 persons, if necessary.)

Normally (i.e. using Windows 2000 or above as an operating system) you
should not have to care for any drivers or port compatibility. I suppose,
your lecturer has done that more than once before ...

So just concentrate on your presentation tomorrow! It's most important, that
YOU are calm and confident, to make your audience feel good about your
presentation! Don't worry about technical things TOO much

And for your next presentation in university: Check alternative methods of
"transportation" (I often prefer the equipment provided on the location): Is
it possible to burn a CD? Is it possible to "span" your files across several
floppy discs using WinZip? At the moment I'm very fond about USB memory
sticks - they carry 128 MB or more and fit into every pocket - and most
modern computers have USB ports (and my USB stick also functions as an MP3
player - nice device!)

Good luck, best regards,
Ute

"Neil Greenough" wrote:

> I'm doing a presentation in university tomorrow, and have to bring my

laptop
> in to uni as presentation is too big to save onto disk. Anyway, the

lecturer
> will be plugging in a projector into my laptop so that it can be shown on
> the big screen. The problem is, will this project audio? I've got some

video
> clips in my presentation, however I don't think that my laptop speakers

will
> be loud enough to fill a classroom! Also, what ports do these projectors
> normally plug into? Do they use drivers too?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Neil Greenough

Thanks to everyone who replied!

I have just borrowed a pair of speakers from a friend! I'm just scared now
about the fact that maybe my MPEG file will not play, however I now know to
toggle in between screens!

Thanks again

TAJ Simmons <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neil,
>
> What everyone else said.
> But also.....no drivers are needed.
>
> Also have a read of this page (regarding video clips and projectors and
> laptops).
> http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00467.htm
>
> Cheers
> TAJ Simmons
> microsoft powerpoint mvp
>
> awesome - powerpoint backgrounds,
> free sample templates, tutorials, hints and tips etc
> http://www.powerpointbackgrounds.com
>

> "Neil Greenough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bknneq$l6v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm doing a presentation in university tomorrow, and have to bring my

> laptop
> > in to uni as presentation is too big to save onto disk. Anyway, the

> lecturer
> > will be plugging in a projector into my laptop so that it can be shown

on
> > the big screen. The problem is, will this project audio? I've got some

> video
> > clips in my presentation, however I don't think that my laptop speakers

> will
> > be loud enough to fill a classroom! Also, what ports do these projectors
> > normally plug into? Do they use drivers too?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

TAJ Simmons

Neil,

Don't stay up too late.

You can prove the MPEG video clips will work on a projector by connecting up
just a local (normal pc) monitor to your laptop.

Cheers
TAJ Simmons
microsoft powerpoint mvp

awesome - powerpoint backgrounds,
free sample templates, tutorials, hints and tips etc
http://www.powerpointbackgrounds.com

news:bknug0$3qv$(E-Mail Removed)...