Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Possible to stop M. Updates from reaching Yahoo?

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Possible to stop M. Updates from reaching Yahoo?

 
 
MaryL
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2003

"John Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> What you gotta do, then, is have one email box for your friends/family,

and
> another for other stuff. I have one I use for online purchases, another

for
> signing up for stuff I don't really want (but when I have to sign up for

it to
> get stuff I do want), another for normal use, one for my gaming persona,

one I
> use for email lists, and I create and destroy throw-away addresses like

this one
> for usenet posting.
>
> This address is valid -- send to it and I'll get the email. But when the

spam
> gets too thick I'll throw it away and create a new one. The old one will

be
> redirected to spamcop.
>


I do basically the same as you, except that I only have 3 boxes. However,
my problem is that I like to use Yahoo for newsgroups because I can access
it even when I travel. Since it is on the Internet, anti-virus programs
can't intercept junk mail before it reaches the boxes. Junk mail is
redirected to the bulk box, but that still takes space -- and the box fills
even before I can open it. I opened a new account a few days ago with extra
words within the address that shows to users (and instructions below my
signature). Maybe that will help -- we'll soon see.

I'm not familiar with what you mean by "spamcop," though, although I can
guess at the basic concept.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2003
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:35:55 -0500 "MaryL"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I do basically the same as you, except that I only have 3 boxes. However,
> my problem is that I like to use Yahoo for newsgroups because I can access
> it even when I travel. Since it is on the Internet, anti-virus programs
> can't intercept junk mail before it reaches the boxes. Junk mail is
> redirected to the bulk box, but that still takes space -- and the box fills
> even before I can open it. I opened a new account a few days ago with extra
> words within the address that shows to users (and instructions below my
> signature). Maybe that will help -- we'll soon see.


Hmm. Do you mean you're using Yahoo to read the newsgroups? That doesn't
necessarily mean you have to post with a Yahoo address. I'm using Verizon for my
newsgroups (my ISP) and my hosting package for my email. I've used other
combinations before.

If you mean you use Yahoo for your newsgroup email, then first, a lot of email
services seem to now include some kind of webmail-type interface; and second,
the whole idea of having a separate email box for your newsgroup reading is to
be able to throw it away whenever it gets too much spam. If you're posting with
a permanent email address, even if it's not your "main" email address, you're
not doing anything useful.

If you're travelling with a laptop, you should be able to set it up to get your
email from a regular box, even when you're away. I even got a special dialup
account specifically for the purpose -- I didn't use them for much of anything
else. When at home I use DSL, but when I was travelling I'd dial into a local
number through using my Martnet account and suck the mail into my laptop. Of
course, it was made easier because I tended to use the laptop for reading my
mail in the first place.

These days I don't travel much, and I haven't had a working laptop for a while.
On the other hand, I've got Pocomail PE which lets me easily use my data on
different computers, so that's not an issue either. Or at least it won't be if I
go mobile again.

But in any case, if you've got multiple addresses in order to avoid spam and
you're getting spam anyway to an address that you can't throw away, you're doing
it wrong.

> I'm not familiar with what you mean by "spamcop," though, although I can
> guess at the basic concept.


It's a blacklist organization. A friend has an account and has set up some email
boxes specifically designed for being forwarded to. I have some old spamcatcher
addresses feeding directly into the mail box designated for the purpose.

---
Did you hear about the dyslexic insomniac agnostic? He would lie awake nights wondering if there was a Dog.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
MaryL
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2003

"John Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:35:55 -0500 "MaryL"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I do basically the same as you, except that I only have 3 boxes.

However,
> > my problem is that I like to use Yahoo for newsgroups because I can

access
> > it even when I travel. Since it is on the Internet, anti-virus programs
> > can't intercept junk mail before it reaches the boxes. Junk mail is
> > redirected to the bulk box, but that still takes space -- and the box

fills
> > even before I can open it. I opened a new account a few days ago with

extra
> > words within the address that shows to users (and instructions below my
> > signature). Maybe that will help -- we'll soon see.

>
> Hmm. Do you mean you're using Yahoo to read the newsgroups? That doesn't
> necessarily mean you have to post with a Yahoo address. I'm using Verizon

for my
> newsgroups (my ISP) and my hosting package for my email. I've used other
> combinations before.
>


No, I don't use Yahoo to read newsgroups. I use it for my email to which
people on the newsgroups may reply. It's not my primary mail -- I use it
only for newsgroup correspondence and also as the contact for some
commercial groups where I occasionally place orders, and that address is
where I receive confirmation numbers. It isn't a big deal to me because I
can easily change to a new addy (as I did last week -- to the one being used
now), but it does mean that I will need to change the contact information
for those few places where I need confirmation numbers. My primary mail
goes through Eudora. However, that resides on my desktop and I cannot
access it when I'm traveling. Likewise, my office account is on the desktop
at the office and is not accessible through the Internet. In the past, I
would give a few people my Yahoo number in case they would need to reach me
when I was on vacation. This has worked well for a number of years. It
looks like I will now need a completely separate address reserved just for
those who read newsgroups and want to respond -- not frequent, but it does
occasionally happen.

>
> If you're travelling with a laptop, you should be able to set it up to get

your
> email from a regular box, even when you're away.


I don't usually travel with my laptop. I use computers belonging to friends
and relatives to check on whether anyone has sent a message.

>
> These days I don't travel much, and I haven't had a working laptop for a

while.
> On the other hand, I've got Pocomail PE which lets me easily use my data

on
> different computers, so that's not an issue either. Or at least it won't

be if I
> go mobile again.
>
> But in any case, if you've got multiple addresses in order to avoid spam

and
> you're getting spam anyway to an address that you can't throw away, you're

doing
> it wrong.
>

So far, the problem has been only with the old Yahoo account (the one I had
used without difficulty for several years -- but no more).


Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
MaryL


 
Reply With Quote
 
john63401@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2003
>What you gotta do, then, is have one email box for your friends/family, and
>another for other stuff. I have one I use for online purchases, another for
>signing up for stuff I don't really want (but when I have to sign up for it to
>get stuff I do want), another for normal use, one for my gaming persona, one I
>use for email lists, and I create and destroy throw-away addresses like this one
>for usenet posting.


Yeah..... I kinda have that right now

But my real problem is using my news
resader....Agent..... with such a setup.

You see I use Agent for BOTH news and email..... and if
you use Agent you'd know that it not a simple matter to
have one email for news posting and another for email

Question.... Ive been thinking abt using a separate app
for email...and a separate app for news (Agent).

Do YOU have separate apps for email and news everyone?

 
Reply With Quote
 
john63401@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2003
> I opened a new account a few days ago with extra
>words within the address that shows to users (and instructions below my
>signature). Maybe that will help -- we'll soon see.


Mary.... I think you have a good idea on the above....
i.e. "take out the litter"

But Ive read that any munging "should" be done on the
domain side....i.e. AFTER the @ sign

Hence maybe.....

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-OUT-THE-LITTER>

would be better?
 
Reply With Quote
 
john63401@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2003
>On the other hand, I've got Pocomail PE which lets me easily use my data on
>different computers, so that's not an issue either. Or at least it won't be if I
>go mobile again.


Hey John.... what's is this Pocomail PE?

And why is it better than other email apps?
 
Reply With Quote
 
john63401@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2003
>No, I don't use Yahoo to read newsgroups. I use it for my email to which
>people on the newsgroups may reply. It's not my primary mail -- I use it
>only for newsgroup correspondence and also as the contact for some
>commercial groups where I occasionally place orders, and that address is
>where I receive confirmation numbers. It isn't a big deal to me because I
>can easily change to a new addy (as I did last week -- to the one being used
>now), but it does mean that I will need to change the contact information
>for those few places where I need confirmation numbers. My primary mail
>goes through Eudora. However, that resides on my desktop and I cannot
>access it when I'm traveling. Likewise, my office account is on the desktop
>at the office and is not accessible through the Internet. In the past, I
>would give a few people my Yahoo number in case they would need to reach me
>when I was on vacation. This has worked well for a number of years. It
>looks like I will now need a completely separate address reserved just for
>those who read newsgroups and want to respond -- not frequent, but it does
>occasionally happen.


Mary..... I am doing what you do as well... i.e have a
Yahoo acct for an address to use for news group use.
So yes I can get legit email there as well. And like
you I liked it cause I COULD use it for personal use
when traveling too.

However.... it is now pretty much useless cause it
COMPLETLY fills up with the MS bullshit within minutes
after emptying it.

I guess I could have TWO Yahoo addresses as you
suggest.... one for Usenet use..... and another for the
occasional times I travel and want web email access

But as the other John has suggested..... MOST if not
all ISPs now have web access to their email as well.
However...... it just seems easier to use Yahoo for web
email.... plus I can use Yahoos free calendar and all
that stuff as well when on the road
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2003
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:56:23 -0500 "MaryL"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> "John Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:35:55 -0500 "MaryL"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

>
> No, I don't use Yahoo to read newsgroups. I use it for my email to which
> people on the newsgroups may reply. It's not my primary mail -- I use it
> only for newsgroup correspondence and also as the contact for some
> commercial groups where I occasionally place orders, and that address is
> where I receive confirmation numbers. It isn't a big deal to me because I
> can easily change to a new addy (as I did last week -- to the one being used
> now), but it does mean that I will need to change the contact information
> for those few places where I need confirmation numbers. My primary mail
> goes through Eudora. However, that resides on my desktop and I cannot
> access it when I'm traveling. Likewise, my office account is on the desktop
> at the office and is not accessible through the Internet. In the past, I
> would give a few people my Yahoo number in case they would need to reach me
> when I was on vacation. This has worked well for a number of years. It
> looks like I will now need a completely separate address reserved just for
> those who read newsgroups and want to respond -- not frequent, but it does
> occasionally happen.


Then I suggest having a throw-away address solely for newsgroup-posting. If you
get any legitimate email responses that you want to maintain contact with, you
can always give 'em your permanent email address (so they don't lose you when
you morph).

> I don't usually travel with my laptop. I use computers belonging to friends
> and relatives to check on whether anyone has sent a message.


Fair enough.

> > But in any case, if you've got multiple addresses in order to avoid spam

> and
> > you're getting spam anyway to an address that you can't throw away, you're

> doing
> > it wrong.
> >

> So far, the problem has been only with the old Yahoo account (the one I had
> used without difficulty for several years -- but no more).


Time to change over, then.

I've had to change my habits too. I've abandoned more than one address in the
last couple years. So far I've managed to keep my current main address almost
spam-free, and I've been taking even more precautions lately.

Heck, when I switched over to my latest one, after informing everybody I could
find in my address book, I did this trick:

1) Put an auto-respond on the old one that said I was changing over. That gave a
different email address to write to... one entirely not associated with anything
else.
2) If you wanted to get my new real address, you wrote to the intermediate
address and asked for it. If any spammers harvested the "new" address
automatically from the auto-response, they'd just get a throw-away address.
3) That was a legitimate "normal" address, so they had to get the new address
from me... no auto-responder or scripts to fool.

> Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.


No problem. Information is the one thing that gains value when you share it.

---
If I fail, no one will say, 'She doesn't have what it takes.' They will say, 'Women don't have what it takes.' -Clare Boothe Luce
 
Reply With Quote
 
MaryL
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2003

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I opened a new account a few days ago with extra
> >words within the address that shows to users (and instructions below my
> >signature). Maybe that will help -- we'll soon see.

>
> Mary.... I think you have a good idea on the above....
> i.e. "take out the litter"
>
> But Ive read that any munging "should" be done on the
> domain side....i.e. AFTER the @ sign
>
> Hence maybe.....
>
> (E-Mail Removed)-OUT-THE-LITTER>
>
> would be better?


Yes, I have wondered about that. I have seen both versions used, but I
could easily change mine if it is better to have the "extraneous"
information after the @sign. I also saw somewhere that it should not come
immediately after the @sign but instead should come in the position you
listed. Do you know why?

Thanks,
MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Munger Joe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2003
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:38:03 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>You see I use Agent for BOTH news and email..... and if
>you use Agent you'd know that it not a simple matter to
>have one email for news posting and another for email


In Group|Properties|Post you can configure a different email address
for each group that you post to.

Joe

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reaching VPN from a Virtual network on same cisco router Greenhorn Cisco 0 04-01-2005 07:33 AM
Cisco PIX 501 Problem reaching internal networks Andre Cisco 1 02-25-2005 04:25 PM
reaching the parent =?Utf-8?B?RXNyZWYgRFVSTkE=?= ASP .Net 1 02-24-2005 11:52 AM
Reaching/changeing Parameter Value in Java Applet =?Utf-8?B?TGVpZg==?= ASP .Net 3 12-07-2004 06:45 AM
custom http handler -- not reaching the session mortb ASP .Net 7 09-01-2004 08:13 AM



Advertisments