Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > AVG not detecting viruses???

AVG not detecting viruses???

Petit Alexi

voodoo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:02:40 GMT, "Jumbo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Do you think if I click on one of those EXE files that AVG will catch it?
>>I'm not gonna take that chance but it would be nice to know if AVG would.

> If you want to test your AV,

<snip odd advice>

If you want to test your AV use something like the EICAR test string.

<http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm>

Jumbo

I'll try that now and see what happens.

"Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bkmumo$3f0gi$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Jumbo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:j0Dbb.63874$(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...
> > Well, I did try both things a few days ago when the virus appeared. I

> saved
> > the EXE file to a floppy and then scanned the attachment with AVG and no
> > viruses were found.

> Good thing you didn't double-click on it "just to see," eh? But you do

say
> that you did this "a few days ago." According to the AVG site, they just
> added Swen to their definition files on September 18:
> http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php Did you update since then?
>
> Ian.

Jumbo

AVG caught the virus in these EICAR files. Not sure what it's supposed to
do with the TXT extension file because nothing happened when I clicked on
it.

"Petit Alexi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> voodoo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:02:40 GMT, "Jumbo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Do you think if I click on one of those EXE files that AVG will catch

it?
> >>I'm not gonna take that chance but it would be nice to know if AVG

would.

> > If you want to test your AV,

> <snip odd advice>
>
> If you want to test your AV use something like the EICAR test string.
>
> <http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm>

Miggsee

Amen!!

(: Sorry for the piggy-back, but I wanted to add to your statement for new
users' knowledge.

Even if you know the sender, some virii/worms steal addresses, and then
procede! If in doubt, email the sender and ask if they sent the file.

"Petit Alexi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jumbo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:QpCbb.63755$Ch2.24615
> @news02.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:
>
> > Do you think if I click on one of those EXE files that AVG will catch

it?
> > I'm not gonna take that chance but it would be nice to know if AVG

would.

> Never ever click on any attachment. Always save *any* attachment to disk
> and scan it with your virus scanner. Make sure your scanner has up to

date
> definitions.

sorry help again AVG not detecting virus Angel thoughts \(The real one\) Computer Support 10 07-05-2005 07:22 PM
Cisco 3640 3620 3600 not detecting, not enabling, not working: NM-2FE2W Taki Soho Cisco 0 09-22-2004 07:28 AM
AVG will not update SHRED Firefox 4 08-26-2004 12:09 PM
AVG not detecting viruses Ron Martell Computer Support 32 05-11-2004 03:27 PM
Update AVG 7.0 - AVI 260.1.3 and AVG 6.0 - 521 Fred Computer Support 0 09-23-2003 06:31 PM

Advertisments