Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > AVG not detecting viruses???

AVG not detecting viruses???

Jumbo

I have the lastest upgrades of AVG anti-virus. However, those MS patch
virus emails still keep getting downloaded to my inbox. Is AVG not supposed
to detect and kill the email before it arrives. I'm really not sure what
AVG is supposed to be doing with these viruses. Or does AVG notify me that
it is a virus only when I click on the EXE file. What really is AVG
supposed to be doing??? Thanks for the help.

Gordon Burgess-Parker

Jumbo wrote:
> I have the lastest upgrades of AVG anti-virus. However, those MS
> patch virus emails still keep getting downloaded to my inbox. Is AVG
> not supposed to detect and kill the email before it arrives. I'm
> really not sure what AVG is supposed to be doing with these viruses.
> Or does AVG notify me that it is a virus only when I click on the EXE
> file. What really is AVG supposed to be doing??? Thanks for the
> help.

No, an AV program does NOT stop the emails being downloaded. That is a
server function which your ISP may or may not have.
Your AV program is there to protect you from opening any infected email.

--
Google is your Friend
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

Jumbo

Do you think if I click on one of those EXE files that AVG will catch it?
I'm not gonna take that chance but it would be nice to know if AVG would.

"Gordon Burgess-Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jumbo wrote:
> > I have the lastest upgrades of AVG anti-virus. However, those MS
> > patch virus emails still keep getting downloaded to my inbox. Is AVG
> > not supposed to detect and kill the email before it arrives. I'm
> > really not sure what AVG is supposed to be doing with these viruses.
> > Or does AVG notify me that it is a virus only when I click on the EXE
> > file. What really is AVG supposed to be doing??? Thanks for the
> > help.

> No, an AV program does NOT stop the emails being downloaded. That is a
> server function which your ISP may or may not have.
> Your AV program is there to protect you from opening any infected email.
>
> --
> Google is your Friend
> Email address deliberately false to avoid spam:
> gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

jean simkin

"Jumbo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QpCbb.63755$(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...
> Do you think if I click on one of those EXE files that AVG will catch it?
> I'm not gonna take that chance but it would be nice to know if AVG would.
>
> Try it and see ........Jean
>

> "Gordon Burgess-Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Jumbo wrote:
> > > I have the lastest upgrades of AVG anti-virus. However, those MS
> > > patch virus emails still keep getting downloaded to my inbox. Is AVG
> > > not supposed to detect and kill the email before it arrives. I'm
> > > really not sure what AVG is supposed to be doing with these viruses.
> > > Or does AVG notify me that it is a virus only when I click on the EXE
> > > file. What really is AVG supposed to be doing??? Thanks for the
> > > help.

> > No, an AV program does NOT stop the emails being downloaded. That is a
> > server function which your ISP may or may not have.
> > Your AV program is there to protect you from opening any infected email.
> >
> > --
> > Google is your Friend
> > Email address deliberately false to avoid spam:
> > gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
> > www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

> > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Miggsee

Please delete the carets when replying, as it makes your message difficult
to find.

You might also read this link, and learn to munge your address to avoid
spambots.

"jean simkin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aACbb.1655$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jumbo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:QpCbb.63755$(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...
> > Do you think if I click on one of those EXE files that AVG will catch

it?
> > I'm not gonna take that chance but it would be nice to know if AVG

would.

> > Try it and see ........Jean
> >

> > "Gordon Burgess-Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

AVG

EXE

> > > No, an AV program does NOT stop the emails being downloaded. That is a
> > > server function which your ISP may or may not have.
> > > Your AV program is there to protect you from opening any infected

email.

> > > --
> > > Google is your Friend
> > > Email address deliberately false to avoid spam:
> > > gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
> > > www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

> > > http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> > > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

voodoo

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:02:40 GMT, "Jumbo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Do you think if I click on one of those EXE files that AVG will catch it?
>I'm not gonna take that chance but it would be nice to know if AVG would.

If you want to test your AV, don't click on the file or execute it.
Just try saving it. I bet that if you do that your AV will catch it at
that point. Saving it is safe as long as you don't open the file.
Depending on how your AV works or how you have it configured, it might
either delete or quarantine the file when you try to save it, or it
might simply warn you that it's a virus or a worm. If necessary, you
can delete the file after you save it.

Ionizer

"Jumbo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QpCbb.63755$(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...
> Do you think if I click on one of those EXE files that AVG will catch it?
> I'm not gonna take that chance but it would be nice to know if AVG would.

I wouldn't risk it. If you want to reassure yourself that AVG can identify
the virus, it would be safer to save the attachment to your hard drive and
manually scan the file. To be honest, I wouldn't even do that.

Avoiding viruses involves two things: a good antivirus program and an
educated user- in this case you, the educated user, have already identified
and avoided the infection. Just leave it at that.

If you want to test your AVG program, do it with this safe test file
instead: http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Regards,
Ian.

Jumbo

Well, I did try both things a few days ago when the virus appeared. I saved
the EXE file to a floppy and then scanned the attachment with AVG and no
viruses were found.

"Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bkmtom$3dbpm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "Jumbo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:QpCbb.63755$(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...
> > Do you think if I click on one of those EXE files that AVG will catch

it?
> > I'm not gonna take that chance but it would be nice to know if AVG

would.

> I wouldn't risk it. If you want to reassure yourself that AVG can

identify
> the virus, it would be safer to save the attachment to your hard drive and
> manually scan the file. To be honest, I wouldn't even do that.
>
> Avoiding viruses involves two things: a good antivirus program and an
> educated user- in this case you, the educated user, have already

identified
> and avoided the infection. Just leave it at that.
>
> If you want to test your AVG program, do it with this safe test file
> instead: http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm
>
> Regards,
> Ian.

Petit Alexi

"Jumbo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:QpCbb.63755$Ch2.24615
@news02.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

> Do you think if I click on one of those EXE files that AVG will catch it?
> I'm not gonna take that chance but it would be nice to know if AVG would.

Never ever click on any attachment. Always save *any* attachment to disk
and scan it with your virus scanner. Make sure your scanner has up to date
definitions.

Ionizer

"Jumbo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:j0Dbb.63874$(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...
> Well, I did try both things a few days ago when the virus appeared. I

saved
> the EXE file to a floppy and then scanned the attachment with AVG and no
> viruses were found.

Good thing you didn't double-click on it "just to see," eh? But you do say
that you did this "a few days ago." According to the AVG site, they just
added Swen to their definition files on September 18:
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php Did you update since then?

Ian.

sorry help again AVG not detecting virus Angel thoughts \(The real one\) Computer Support 10 07-05-2005 07:22 PM
Cisco 3640 3620 3600 not detecting, not enabling, not working: NM-2FE2W Taki Soho Cisco 0 09-22-2004 07:28 AM
AVG will not update SHRED Firefox 4 08-26-2004 12:09 PM
AVG not detecting viruses Ron Martell Computer Support 32 05-11-2004 03:27 PM
Update AVG 7.0 - AVI 260.1.3 and AVG 6.0 - 521 Fred Computer Support 0 09-23-2003 06:31 PM

Advertisments