Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Filemaker 6.0 very very slow in loading initially

Filemaker 6.0 very very slow in loading initially

Idris Alooma

I posted a few days ago stating that I was having problems getting
Filemaker 6.0 to load. It was taking 15 minutes or more before it
loaded.

So I then uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times so far. I also
installed Filemaker 5.5 this afternoon.

Both of them load up and say "tcp/ip" loaded" The they freeze on the
square screen. Neither will go any further and rebooting the computer
doesn't help.

I have Zonealarm installed and when I start them up they ask for
Internet access which I grant, but they don't go past that point.

So now it seems that neither filemaker product will run...?

What to do now? Any suggestions?

On my Dell XPS-T-600 running Windows XP Professional, I have removed the
font file and the font that Filemaker hangs on when it initially boots
up. The first time it was a font named "sydnie" There was no such font
in the font folder in control panel. I also ran disk doctor, windoctor,
one button checkup and repaired the errors.

The next time it hung up on some font name "@ming" something.

If it does get past loading the fonts, it hangs after saying "tcp/ip"
loaded. It stops there also.

I ran a complete virus scan of my system. It revealed nothing. Yet
Filemaker refuses to load on my primary computer.

On my older 400MHZ Hewlett Packard Pavilion, Filemaker Pro 6.0 installs
and runs just fine. No problems what so ever.

This is really puzzling considering it ran fine for over a year until it
started loading very slowly.