Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > modem tries to dial at startup

modem tries to dial at startup

Davidand

I am running Win98 and everytime I boot my PC my modem tries to dial out. I
have Norton's Antivirus and Firewall installed. My modem tries to dial out
before these load at start-up. I have not installed any new programs or
devices lately. None of my programs are set to auto-update or to check for
updates. I have checked the number it is dialing and it is the correct one.
This has been happening now for about 2 weeks. If I just keep hitting escape
after about 8 times it stops and Norton's loads.
I have let it dial out once and it gives no indication as to what program is
dialing out. Any help would be appreciated.

why?

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 08:54:47 GMT, Davidand wrote:

>I am running Win98 and everytime I boot my PC my modem tries to dial out. I
>have Norton's Antivirus and Firewall installed. My modem tries to dial out

NAV won't usually tell the modem (dialingr app) not to dial out.

>before these load at start-up. I have not installed any new programs or
>devices lately. None of my programs are set to auto-update or to check for
>updates. I have checked the number it is dialing and it is the correct one.

You NAV should be set to auto update, unless you remember to manually do
it all the time.

>This has been happening now for about 2 weeks. If I just keep hitting escape
>after about 8 times it stops and Norton's loads.
>I have let it dial out once and it gives no indication as to what program is

So no strange long distance numbers on your bill?

>dialing out. Any help would be appreciated.

Ad-aware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Spybot S& D - http://security.kolla.de/ can't reach just now
try http://spybot.eon.net.au/

In the modem properties, turn on the Create Modem Log, this way you may
be able to see what is happening.

Me

Davidand

Just mentioned Norton's so you know I have them installed. I did not think
they were the culprits. I update at least once a week unless I know more
nasties are floating around. My PC has been running fine for months but has
only just started doing this. I have no strange numbers appearing on my
phone bill. I have also got Spybot on my PC and says all ok.

why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 08:54:47 GMT, Davidand wrote:
>
> >I am running Win98 and everytime I boot my PC my modem tries to dial out.

> >have Norton's Antivirus and Firewall installed. My modem tries to dial

out

> NAV won't usually tell the modem (dialingr app) not to dial out.
>
> >before these load at start-up. I have not installed any new programs or
> >devices lately. None of my programs are set to auto-update or to check

for
> >updates. I have checked the number it is dialing and it is the correct

one.

> You NAV should be set to auto update, unless you remember to manually do
> it all the time.
>
> >This has been happening now for about 2 weeks. If I just keep hitting

escape
> >after about 8 times it stops and Norton's loads.
> >I have let it dial out once and it gives no indication as to what program

is

> So no strange long distance numbers on your bill?
>
> >dialing out. Any help would be appreciated.

> Ad-aware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
> Spybot S& D - http://security.kolla.de/ can't reach just now
> try http://spybot.eon.net.au/
>
> In the modem properties, turn on the Create Modem Log, this way you may
> be able to see what is happening.
>
> Me

Boomer

Davidand said:

> I am running Win98 and everytime I boot my PC my modem tries to
> dial out. I have Norton's Antivirus and Firewall installed. My
> modem tries to dial out before these load at start-up. I have
> not installed any new programs or devices lately. None of my
> programs are set to auto-update or to check for updates. I have
> checked the number it is dialing and it is the correct one. This
> has been happening now for about 2 weeks. If I just keep hitting
> escape after about 8 times it stops and Norton's loads.
> I have let it dial out once and it gives no indication as to
> what program is dialing out. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you check this out?

Control Panel> Internet Options. Connections tab, select the dial-up
account and click Settings. On the Settings dialogue, click
Properties,
Options tab, uncheck "Redial if line is dropped".

Or

Control Panel> Network Connections. Select the dial-up account, then
Advanced> Dial-up Preferences.
On the Autodial tab check "Always ask me before autodialling".

°Mike°

Modem Dials when Windows starts

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 08:54:47 GMT, in
<rHdbb.115037$(E-Mail Removed)>