Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Swen virus - Block Message Rule - How To...

Swen virus - Block Message Rule - How To...

Boomer

Borrowed from George (Bindar Dundat )
Posted at: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

<Quote>
One protection method is to create a message rule in Outlook Express
as follows;
Go to Tools>Message Rules>Mail>New
In the top box) Check "Where the From Line Contains People" and
"Where the
Message has an Attachment"
In the center box) Check "Mark as Read" and "Delete it" and "Stop
Processing
More Rules"
In the bottom box) Click on "Contains People" (in blue) and add
"microsoft.com"
(no quotes).
Do not use "Delete from server" since OE has no way of knowing if
there is
an
attachment until it arrives in your inbox.
If you use any other rules which sort mail into different folders or
otherwise
move the mail from the Inbox, then it is imperative that the above
rule be
moved
to the top of the rules list.
</Quote>

Stevo

Boomer wrote:
> Borrowed from George (Bindar Dundat )
> Posted at: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
>
> <Quote>
> One protection method is to create a message rule in Outlook Express
> as follows;
> Go to Tools>Message Rules>Mail>New
> In the top box) Check "Where the From Line Contains People" and
> "Where the
> Message has an Attachment"
> In the center box) Check "Mark as Read" and "Delete it" and "Stop
> Processing
> More Rules"
> In the bottom box) Click on "Contains People" (in blue) and add
> "microsoft.com"
> (no quotes).
> Do not use "Delete from server" since OE has no way of knowing if
> there is
> an
> attachment until it arrives in your inbox.
> If you use any other rules which sort mail into different folders or
> otherwise
> move the mail from the Inbox, then it is imperative that the above
> rule be
> moved
> to the top of the rules list.
> </Quote>

Boomer,

There are so many variations of From / To / Subject etc that it will be hard
to keep any message rule up to date..

The other thing is, is if you have to download it to find out it has an
attachment, then any possible threat is likely to be already in your machine
already...

Having got paranoid (I am not ashamed to admit that.. LOLOL) about email
borne viruses and spam a few years back, I use a sort of reverse engineered
set of message rules.. anyone in my address book can send me an email and
it will get to me and be virus checked along the way, everything else
doesn't get downloaded at all... I can see those via web mail, but they get
deleted.. works quite well with little boogers like swen...

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

B. Al. Zeebub

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:45:52 +1000, B. Al. Zeebub read a prime example of
Darwinism:

*snip*
> Having got paranoid (I am not ashamed to admit that.. LOLOL) about email
> borne viruses and spam a few years back, I use a sort of reverse engineered
> set of message rules.. anyone in my address book can send me an email and
> it will get to me and be virus checked along the way, everything else
> doesn't get downloaded at all... I can see those via web mail, but they get
> deleted.. works quite well with little boogers like swen...

But then again some of us don't need to worry about these nasty little
buggers...what is swen? A Swedish masseur gone feral? Ikeas latest gadget?

Boomer

Stevo said:

> Boomer wrote:
>> Borrowed from George (Bindar Dundat )
>> Posted at: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
>>
>> <Quote>
>> One protection method is to create a message rule in Outlook
>> Express as follows;
>> Go to Tools>Message Rules>Mail>New
>> In the top box) Check "Where the From Line Contains People" and
>> "Where the
>> Message has an Attachment"
>> In the center box) Check "Mark as Read" and "Delete it" and
>> "Stop Processing
>> More Rules"
>> In the bottom box) Click on "Contains People" (in blue) and add
>> "microsoft.com"
>> (no quotes).
>> Do not use "Delete from server" since OE has no way of knowing
>> if there is
>> an
>> attachment until it arrives in your inbox.
>> If you use any other rules which sort mail into different
>> folders or otherwise
>> move the mail from the Inbox, then it is imperative that the
>> above rule be
>> moved
>> to the top of the rules list.
>> </Quote>

> Boomer,
>
> There are so many variations of From / To / Subject etc that it
> will be hard to keep any message rule up to date..
>
> The other thing is, is if you have to download it to find out it
> has an attachment, then any possible threat is likely to be
> already in your machine already...
>
> Having got paranoid (I am not ashamed to admit that.. LOLOL)
> about email borne viruses and spam a few years back, I use a
> sort of reverse engineered set of message rules.. anyone in my
> address book can send me an email and it will get to me and be
> virus checked along the way, everything else doesn't get
> downloaded at all... I can see those via web mail, but they get
> deleted.. works quite well with little boogers like swen...

Better yet....don't use OE.

Trev

"B. Al. Zeebub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> But then again some of us don't need to worry about these nasty little
> buggers...what is swen? A Swedish masseur gone feral? Ikeas latest gadget?

Nobody loves you baby!

MaryL

> Better yet....don't use OE.

What do you recommend? I use OE for newsgroups and Yahoo for newsgroup
mail. My Yahoo box has been absolutely swamped by this junk. It is
filtered and most of the junk is transferred to "bulk" mail, but it still
fills the box in a remarkably short period of time. I use Eudora for my
"private" mail and have had very few hits (although Norton has intercepted a
few attempts). I want to continue using a separate mailer for newsgroup
contacts and private contacts.

Thanks,
MaryL

Bryan

"MaryL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> Better yet....don't use OE.

> What do you recommend? I use OE for newsgroups and Yahoo for
> newsgroup mail. My Yahoo box has been absolutely swamped by this
> junk. It is filtered and most of the junk is transferred to "bulk"
> mail, but it still fills the box in a remarkably short period of
> time. I use Eudora for my "private" mail and have had very few hits
> (although Norton has intercepted a few attempts). I want to continue
> using a separate mailer for newsgroup contacts and private contacts.
>
> Thanks,
> MaryL

Here's a start:
http://www.newsreaders.com/

Boomer

MaryL said:

> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> Better yet....don't use OE.

> What do you recommend? I use OE for newsgroups and Yahoo for
> newsgroup mail. My Yahoo box has been absolutely swamped by
> this junk. It is filtered and most of the junk is transferred
> to "bulk" mail, but it still fills the box in a remarkably short
> period of time. I use Eudora for my "private" mail and have had
> very few hits (although Norton has intercepted a few attempts).
> I want to continue using a separate mailer for newsgroup
> contacts and private contacts.
>
> Thanks,
> MaryL

Eudora seems fine.

Mozilla Thunderbird is another good e-mail client.
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/

I use an older version of Netscape and have not seen one of these
viruses. In fact I've never gotten a virus in the mail.

For a news reader, I love Xnews.
http://xnews.newsguy.com/

Others:
http://www.newsreaders.com/win/clients.html
http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/mi...wbrowser.shtml

Newsgroup: news.software.readers

Some popular readers:

Agent
www.forteinc.com
Dialog
http://www.40tude.com/dialog/
Gravity
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tba...ity/super.html
XanaNews
http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d7xananews.htm

And a new one:
MesNews
http://www.zoo-logique.org/mesnews/index-gb.php

MaryL

> MaryL said:
>

> > "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Better yet....don't use OE.

> > What do you recommend? I use OE for newsgroups and Yahoo for
> > newsgroup mail. My Yahoo box has been absolutely swamped by
> > this junk. It is filtered and most of the junk is transferred
> > to "bulk" mail, but it still fills the box in a remarkably short
> > period of time. I use Eudora for my "private" mail and have had
> > very few hits (although Norton has intercepted a few attempts).
> > I want to continue using a separate mailer for newsgroup
> > contacts and private contacts.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > MaryL

> Eudora seems fine.
>
> Mozilla Thunderbird is another good e-mail client.
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/
>
> I use an older version of Netscape and have not seen one of these
> viruses. In fact I've never gotten a virus in the mail.
>
> For a news reader, I love Xnews.
> http://xnews.newsguy.com/
>
> Others:
> http://www.newsreaders.com/win/clients.html
> http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/mi...wbrowser.shtml
>
> Newsgroup: news.software.readers
>
> Some popular readers:
>
> Agent
> www.forteinc.com
> Dialog
> http://www.40tude.com/dialog/
> Gravity
> http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tba...ity/super.html
> XanaNews
> http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d7xananews.htm
>
> And a new one:
> MesNews
> http://www.zoo-logique.org/mesnews/index-gb.php

Thanks! I'll check out some of these. Incidentally, I used to use
Netscape. However, I work at a university, and they no longer support
Netscape. I try t keep the same configuration at home -- so, I finally
switched to IE for the Internet and OE for newsgroups, but I have never used
it for mail. Yahoo has become a monster over just the last few days with so
much of the bogus MS stuff that the box fills almost as soon as I can empty
it.

Thanks, again.
MaryL

MaryL

"Bryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45Fab.3176$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "MaryL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
> > "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Better yet....don't use OE.

> > What do you recommend? I use OE for newsgroups and Yahoo for
> > newsgroup mail. My Yahoo box has been absolutely swamped by this
> > junk. It is filtered and most of the junk is transferred to "bulk"
> > mail, but it still fills the box in a remarkably short period of
> > time. I use Eudora for my "private" mail and have had very few hits
> > (although Norton has intercepted a few attempts). I want to continue
> > using a separate mailer for newsgroup contacts and private contacts.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > MaryL

> Here's a start:
> http://www.newsreaders.com/

Thanks very much. I'm really looking for something for mail (rather than
the actual newsreader), but I'll look into some of these -- along with the
list that Boomer sent.

MaryL

how to add validation rule for url in the validation-rule.xml ,I added some thing like this but......... shailajabtech@gmail.com Java 0 10-12-2006 08:36 AM
the swen virus pat Computer Support 6 10-05-2003 03:42 PM
[SWEN tiny FAQ] How to filter out Swen emails with M$ Outlook Express Thore Schmechtig Computer Security 17 09-27-2003 01:50 PM
[SWEN tiny FAQ] How to filter Swen mails with M$OE 6 Thore Schmechtig Computer Security 19 09-27-2003 03:26 AM
Virus (Swen) oplossing ! (Bla) bla Computer Support 0 09-22-2003 12:51 PM

Advertisments