Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Guess who's helping propagate Swen?

Guess who's helping propagate Swen?

Max Quordlepleen

Snagged from another NG:

Microsoft's news forums are allowing the W32.Swen.A@mm worm to be
posted as
an attachment in their newgroups - at least 1 day after this jewel has
been
circulating and has been tagged by all the anti-virus folks.

--
Though this be method, yet there is madness in 't

http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html

Boomer

Max Quordlepleen said:

> Snagged from another NG:
>
> Microsoft's news forums are allowing the W32.Swen.A@mm worm to
> be posted as
> an attachment in their newgroups - at least 1 day after this
> jewel has been
> circulating and has been tagged by all the anti-virus folks.

Why doesn't that surprise me?

Sheeesh!

why?

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:59:18 +1200, Max Quordlepleen wrote:

>Snagged from another NG:
>
>Microsoft's news forums are allowing the W32.Swen.A@mm worm to be
>posted as
>an attachment in their newgroups - at least 1 day after this jewel has
>been
>circulating and has been tagged by all the anti-virus folks.

Nice one, I finally got to see what all the fuss is about.

Thanks
Me

Ron Martell

Max Quordlepleen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Snagged from another NG:
>
>Microsoft's news forums are allowing the W32.Swen.A@mm worm to be
>posted as
>an attachment in their newgroups - at least 1 day after this jewel has
>been
>circulating and has been tagged by all the anti-virus folks.

I have yet to see any such item attached to any posting in any of the
30+ microsoft.public newsgroups that I subscribe to.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Max Quordlepleen

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:40:48 GMT, Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)>
proffered, in : news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have yet to see any such item attached to any posting in any of the
> 30+ microsoft.public newsgroups that I subscribe to.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --

Thanks, Ron, it's nice to have authoritative refutation of the above. I
should not have been so quick to repeat it.

--
"Very good. Very deep. Right now I need aphorisms like I need holes in my heads."

Plato

Max Quordlepleen wrote:

> Microsoft's news forums are allowing the W32.Swen.A@mm worm to be
> posted as
> an attachment in their newgroups - at least 1 day after this jewel has

MS is actually quite conservative and reserved when it comes to
moderating it's NGs.

ie prohibiting posters, sending letters to posters isps, content, etc.

ie they dont have the "heavy hand" you'd expect.

why?

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:40:48 GMT, Ron Martell wrote:

>Max Quordlepleen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Snagged from another NG:
>>
>>Microsoft's news forums are allowing the W32.Swen.A@mm worm to be
>>posted as
>>an attachment in their newgroups - at least 1 day after this jewel has
>>been
>>circulating and has been tagged by all the anti-virus folks.

>I have yet to see any such item attached to any posting in any of the
>30+ microsoft.public newsgroups that I subscribe to.

I can see 40 now, on my ISPs binary post server. Some are duplicates due
to x-posting. Very few in XP groups, most NT,2000 and scripting.

From: "TUBADOGS" <ooxttmibeohes<snip>
Subject: Try on these corrective package
Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.xbox.nflfever2002,microsoft.publi c.xbox.projectgothamracing,microsoft.public.xbox.r allisport,microsoft.public.xml,microsoft.public.xm l.msxml-webrelease,microsoft.public.xml.soap,microsoft.pub lic.xml.soapsdk,microsoft.public.xml.xmlsqlwebrele ase
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:10:21 -0700
68.68.113.39

From: "engine<snip>
Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.management.mmc,microsoft.public.p roxy,microsoft.public.ageofempires,microsoft.publi c.certification,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft .public.jp.activex,microsoft.public.jp.win2000,mic rosoft.public.msmq.programming,microsoft.public.xm l
Date: 20 Sep 2003 06:07:41 GMT

From: "John Haines" <maitx<snip>
Subject: Prove the internet package from MS Corp.
Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.xbox.halo,microsoft.public.xbox.k ungfuchaos,microsoft.public.xbox.munchsoddysee,mic rosoft.public.xbox.nbainsidedrive,microsoft.public .xbox.nflfever2002,microsoft.public.xbox.projectgo thamracing,microsoft.public.xml,microsoft.public.x ml.xmlsqlwebrelease
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:50:58 -0700

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:27:11 GMT

FROM: "test" <eaupuu-prla<snip>
NEWSGROUPS:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public .windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hard ware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,m icrosoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft. public.word.conversions
SUBJECT: FWD: See the internet pack that comes from Microsoft
Date: 20 Sep 2003 16:13:25 -0400

why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

>I can see 40 now, on my ISPs binary post server. Some are duplicates due
>to x-posting. Very few in XP groups, most NT,2000 and scripting.

Okay.

Windows NT and Windows 2000 are versions of Windows that I do not
support so I do not follow any of those newsgroups. Likewise
scripting.

Thanks for the specifics.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

L Mehl

Oh.

I thought it was Earthlink. THey are certainly doing nothing to stop it
from getting into their customer's in-boxes.

"Max Quordlepleen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Snagged from another NG:
>
> Microsoft's news forums are allowing the W32.Swen.A@mm worm to be
> posted as
> an attachment in their newgroups - at least 1 day after this jewel has
> been
> circulating and has been tagged by all the anti-virus folks.
>
> --
> Though this be method, yet there is madness in 't
>
> http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html

---