Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Unsolicited E Mail purportedly from MSN

Unsolicited E Mail purportedly from MSN

Frank Aston.

In the last day or so I've been getting an usual number of e mails, via
Outlook Express, relating to critical upgrades, message non delivery, error
letters and similar issues.
I'm a bit worried about opening them. Anyone else noticed this lately?
Kind regards,

Frank.

Boomer

Frank Aston. said:

> In the last day or so I've been getting an usual number of e
> mails, via Outlook Express, relating to critical upgrades,
> message non delivery, error letters and similar issues.
> I'm a bit worried about opening them. Anyone else noticed this
> lately? Kind regards,
>
> Frank.

Only poted a few times in this group.

W32.Swen.A@mm or W32/Gibe-F, or Worm Swen.A

"W32.Swen.A@mm is a mass-mailing worm that attempts to spread through
file-sharing networks, such as KaZaA and IRC, and attempts to kill
antivirus and personal firewall programs running on a computer.

The worm arrives as an email attachment. The subject, body, and From:
address of the email may vary. Some examples claim to be patches for
Microsoft Internet Explorer, or delivery failure notices from qmail."

"The worm can also impersonate mail delivery failure notices..."

"The worm spreads through email, KaZaA, IRC, Network Shares, and
newsgroups."

Further information at:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/(E-Mail Removed)
AVG
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_vir_tt.php#1

And at this newsgroup: alt.comp.anti-virus

Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me,
Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

Systems Not Affected: DOS, Linux, Macintosh, Microsoft IIS, OS/2,
UNIX, Windows 3.x

why?

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:40:59 +0100, Frank Aston. wrote:

>In the last day or so I've been getting an usual number of e mails, via
>Outlook Express, relating to critical upgrades, message non delivery, error
>letters and similar issues.

Yet again posting the same / some of previous links

http://www.microsoft.com/security/

Hoax circulating: Microsoft never distributes software through e-mail.
If you receive an e-mail message that appears to be from Microsoft and
that contains an attachment, delete the message immediately. Do not open
the attachment. To learn more, click here.

<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/policy/swdist.asp>

http://www.sophos.com/
www.mcafee.com

http://www.symantec.com/ says -
W32.Swen.A@mm is a mass-mailing worm that also attempts to spread
through file-sharing networks, such as KaZaA and IRC, and will attempt
to de-activate antivirus and personal firewall programs running on the
computer.
STEP 1: Read Critical Information

> I'm a bit worried about opening them. Anyone else noticed this lately?

Only a few 10,000 maybe even a somewhere in the 100,000 but not
everyone.... it appears, Oh I forgot a link.

Drat, I thought I would have to goto the help pages but no, it's on the
home page, http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/

Me

gangle

"Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:Xns93FB3A79F722F24680@209.98.50.131...
> Frank Aston. said:
>
> > In the last day or so I've been getting an usual number of e
> > mails, via Outlook Express, relating to critical upgrades,
> > message non delivery, error letters and similar issues.
> > I'm a bit worried about opening them. Anyone else noticed this
> > lately? Kind regards,
> >
> > Frank.

> Only poted a few times in this group.
>
> W32.Swen.A@mm or W32/Gibe-F, or Worm Swen.A
>
> "W32.Swen.A@mm is a mass-mailing worm that attempts to spread through
> file-sharing networks, such as KaZaA and IRC, and attempts to kill
> antivirus and personal firewall programs running on a computer.
>
> The worm arrives as an email attachment. The subject, body, and From:
> address of the email may vary. Some examples claim to be patches for
> Microsoft Internet Explorer, or delivery failure notices from qmail."
>
> "The worm can also impersonate mail delivery failure notices..."
>
> "The worm spreads through email, KaZaA, IRC, Network Shares, and
> newsgroups."
>
> Further information at:
> http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/(E-Mail Removed)
> AVG
> http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_vir_tt.php#1
>
> And at this newsgroup: alt.comp.anti-virus
>
> Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me,
> Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP
>
> Systems Not Affected: DOS, Linux, Macintosh, Microsoft IIS, OS/2,
> UNIX, Windows 3.x

It seems almost no one bothers to scan through headers to
see if their question has already been answered, which is
newsgroup 101. Alas, my mind has become a festering
cesspool of ennui.

Boomer

gangle said:

> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Frank Aston. said:
>>
>> > In the last day or so I've been getting an usual number of e
>> > mails, via Outlook Express, relating to critical upgrades,
>> > message non delivery, error letters and similar issues.
>> > I'm a bit worried about opening them. Anyone else noticed
>> > this lately? Kind regards,
>> >
>> > Frank.

>> Only poted a few times in this group.
>>
>> W32.Swen.A@mm or W32/Gibe-F, or Worm Swen.A
>>
>> "W32.Swen.A@mm is a mass-mailing worm that attempts to spread
>> through file-sharing networks, such as KaZaA and IRC, and
>> attempts to kill antivirus and personal firewall programs
>> running on a computer.
>>
>> The worm arrives as an email attachment. The subject, body, and
>> From: address of the email may vary. Some examples claim to be
>> patches for Microsoft Internet Explorer, or delivery failure
>> notices from qmail."
>>
>> "The worm can also impersonate mail delivery failure
>> notices..."
>>
>> "The worm spreads through email, KaZaA, IRC, Network Shares,
>> and newsgroups."
>>
>> Further information at:
>> http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/(E-Mail Removed)
>> AVG
>> http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_vir_tt.php#1
>>
>> And at this newsgroup: alt.comp.anti-virus
>>
>> Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98,
>> Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP
>>
>> Systems Not Affected: DOS, Linux, Macintosh, Microsoft IIS,
>> OS/2, UNIX, Windows 3.x

> It seems almost no one bothers to scan through headers to
> see if their question has already been answered, which is
> newsgroup 101. Alas, my mind has become a festering
> cesspool of ennui.

No one knows what Google or Google groups are either.

Steve Freides

I appear to be a victim of this, although my AV software
(Norton/Symantec) is running just fine as is my firewall.

Could someone explain exactly what's happening here? Is *my* computer
infected or is it just that someone who has my address is infected and
therefore sending me tons of emails?

-S-

why? wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:40:59 +0100, Frank Aston. wrote:
>
> >In the last day or so I've been getting an usual number of e mails, via
> >Outlook Express, relating to critical upgrades, message non delivery, error
> >letters and similar issues.

> Yet again posting the same / some of previous links
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp
> Hoax circulating: Microsoft never distributes software through e-mail.
> If you receive an e-mail message that appears to be from Microsoft and
> that contains an attachment, delete the message immediately. Do not open
> the attachment. To learn more, click here.
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/policy/swdist.asp>
>
> http://www.sophos.com/
> www.mcafee.com
>
> http://www.symantec.com/ says -
> W32.Swen.A@mm is a mass-mailing worm that also attempts to spread
> through file-sharing networks, such as KaZaA and IRC, and will attempt
> to de-activate antivirus and personal firewall programs running on the
> computer.
> STEP 1: Read Critical Information
>
> > I'm a bit worried about opening them. Anyone else noticed this lately?

> Only a few 10,000 maybe even a somewhere in the 100,000 but not
> everyone.... it appears, Oh I forgot a link.
>
> Drat, I thought I would have to goto the help pages but no, it's on the
> home page, http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/
>
> Me

why?

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:50:21 -0400, Steve Freides wrote:

>I appear to be a victim of this, although my AV software
>(Norton/Symantec) is running just fine as is my firewall.
>
>Could someone explain exactly what's happening here? Is *my* computer
>infected or is it just that someone who has my address is infected and
>therefore sending me tons of emails?

*** Could be both. ***

You have tried reading the info from the other links?
I have not had 1 yet and don't expect to be able to get one either.

From the info at - (not the full text)
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/defau...er&hcName=swen

Sometimes posing as a Microsoft Security Update, this worm is intended
to spread via the following methods:

* Mailing itself to recipients extracted from the victim's machine
* Copying itself over network shares (mapped drives)
* Sharing itself over the KaZaa P2P network
* Sending itself via IRC

The worm terminates processes relevant to various security and
anti-virus products. Additionally, the worm contains its own SMTP engine
to create outgoing messages to harvested email addresses from the
victim's machine.

Various outgoing messages are created,

When the worm is run on the victim's machine, a series of fraudulent
message boxes are displayed. The worm installs itself (using a random
filename) into %WinDir%, for example: C:\WINDOWS\ZNFUL.EXE.

How do you know if you've been infected?
* Display of a series of dialog boxes
* Unexpected termination of various security and anti-virus products
* Inability to run RegEdit on the victim's machine

Further Info
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/defau...virus_k=100662

>-S-
>
>why? wrote:

>> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:40:59 +0100, Frank Aston. wrote:
>>
>> >In the last day or so I've been getting an usual number of e mails, via
>> >Outlook Express, relating to critical upgrades, message non delivery, error
>> >letters and similar issues.

>> Yet again posting the same / some of previous links
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp
>> Hoax circulating: Microsoft never distributes software through e-mail.
>> If you receive an e-mail message that appears to be from Microsoft and

<snip>

Me

Paul - xxx

Boomer tried to scribble ...

> gangle said:
>
>> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> It seems almost no one bothers to scan through headers to
>> see if their question has already been answered, which is
>> newsgroup 101. Alas, my mind has become a festering
>> cesspool of ennui.

> No one knows what Google or Google groups are either.

I think gangle has it spot on .. A lack of knowledge about Google can be
understandable, but not reading a newsgroup, where one is asking a specific
question, is well nigh unforgivable. (IMHO)

--
.............................Paul - xxx

Boomer

Steve Freides said:

> I appear to be a victim of this, although my AV software
> (Norton/Symantec) is running just fine as is my firewall.
>
> Could someone explain exactly what's happening here? Is *my*
> computer infected or is it just that someone who has my address
> is infected and therefore sending me tons of emails?
>
> -S-

[snip]

Further information at: