Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Ghosts in the machine

Ghosts in the machine

Jim

A friend has just called me up to say that when she switched
off her light last night the computer started up (!) and she
had a message saying "Your computer is being used by other
people and you are now connected." Well, spooky!

I installed Norton, ZoneAlarm and Spybot on her PC a few
weeks ago and updated XP with all the latest patches. To be
honest she may be allowing stuff through on Zonealarm that
shouldn't and could be opening odd emails ...

What could be going on here? Thanks.

trout

Jim wrote:

> A friend has just called me up to say that when she switched
> off her light last night the computer started up (!) and she
> had a message saying "Your computer is being used by other
> people and you are now connected." Well, spooky!
>
> I installed Norton, ZoneAlarm and Spybot on her PC a few
> weeks ago and updated XP with all the latest patches. To be
> honest she may be allowing stuff through on Zonealarm that
> shouldn't and could be opening odd emails ...
>
> What could be going on here? Thanks.

Sounds like Windows Messenger Service. Not too spooky.
Here's a pasted reply of °Mike°'s:

[paste]

Your firewall should be configured to block ports 137-139 (NETBIOS),
which is used by the messenger service..

To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
open the Services panel by typing...

services.msc /s

....into the Start / Run box.
In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
Right click and choose 'Properties'.
Click the 'Stop' button.
From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
'Apply / Ok'.

More information:

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q330904

Windows Messages
http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger Service
http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/m...erService.html

How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
XP-Based Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q302089

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...e/stopspam.asp

Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

[end paste]
--
"That'd be *my* guess."

Jim

"trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sounds like Windows Messenger Service. Not too spooky.
>Here's a pasted reply of °Mike°'s:

Okay thanks. I was a little surprised at the machine
starting up by itself... did that really happen? Anyway,
I'll check ZA and try disabling Messenger...

Jim

Ghosts? Marta Computer Support 18 05-12-2005 10:13 AM
ghosts? Toolman Tim Computer Support 11 01-15-2005 05:06 PM
Cursor Blinking Leaving Artifacts / Ghosts in NS7.1 -- Can it be resolved? Matthew HTML 0 01-15-2004 03:06 PM
Messenger & Ghosts Jim Computer Support 9 09-27-2003 02:04 PM

Advertisments