Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Swen

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Deity knows I hate to spread virus rumours, but here goes with the latest:

A new mass-mailing virus is on the loose on the Internet, this one
masquerading as a message from Microsoft Corp. about a cumulative
security patch. Known as either Swen or Gibe, the virus is mainly found
in Europe right now, but anti-virus experts say it has the potential to
spread quickly and widely.

Like some other recent worms and viruses, Swen attempts to spread
through several different methods, including peer-to-peer file sharing
networks and IRC channels. It takes advantage of a two-year-old flaw in
Microsoft Outlook and is capable of automatically executing the infected
attachment once the message is opened.
Swen arrives in an e-mail message with a subject line of "Microsoft
Critical Patch" and an executable attachment with a random file name.
The message body itself is a somewhat realistic looking HTML message
that includes Microsoft's logo and links to the company's Web site. The
body instructs the user to install the included attachment, which is
described as the "February 2003, Cumulative Patch" for Outlook, Outlook
Express and Internet Explorer.

The virus then copies itself to the folder used to share files on the
Kazaa network, if it exists on the infected machine. Swen applies names
to the infected files in the Kazaa folder that make the files appear to
be patches for other viruses, such as Bugbear and SoBig, according to an
analysis of the virus by iDefense Inc., in Reston, Va.

Swen was first discovered early Thursday morning and has yet to make
much of a mark in North America. But, rare is the mass-mailing worm that
goes away quietly without enticing a few thousand people into opening
the infected e-mail.

Boomer

I just read about it over at alt.comp.anti-virus
From: "Thomas Krug" <(E-Mail Removed)>

<Quote>
F-Prot, CAI and several others developed new signature files very
fast.

Find info here:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/(E-Mail Removed)
</Quote>

DC

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 22:05:16 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Deity knows I hate to spread virus rumours, but here goes with the latest:
>
> A new mass-mailing virus is on the loose on the Internet, this one
> masquerading as a message from Microsoft Corp. about a cumulative
> security patch. Known as either Swen or Gibe, the virus is mainly found
> in Europe right now, but anti-virus experts say it has the potential to
> spread quickly and widely.

[snip]

Yeah, I've received over 40 of the goddamn things in the last 2 hours.
At 154KB a pop.

Ridiculous. }:O(

--
DC

Microsoft is not the answer, it is the question. The answer is NO.