Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > question about music downloading

question about music downloading

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as E_\_______F continued:

> Well the person asked if it was illegal... no its not all illegal...
> but if you weigh out the copyrighted material on kazaa against the
> non copyrighted material I think the scale will tip just a weee lil'
> bit towards copyrighted. Ok, perhaps I was being a bit hasty and I
> apologize for that... I'm just saying this person needs to take some
> serious consideration before they download from kazaa or any ither
> P2P network. as was stated earlier by philip:
>
>> And there are currently 436 cases being brought by the RIAA, against
>> 3,984,024 file sharers on the Kazaa network at this time. Do the
>> math.

> This adds up. People will eventually start getting caught esp. the
> ones who least expect it. No, not everyone.... but still...

No it doesn't. Think about how many /new/ users download, install and
use Kazaa, Soulseek, WinMX etc every year. How many people can
realistically be prosecuted each year ? How long before they start to
make a dent in the total ? Forever seems a good guess.

I accept it is illegal to download copyright files from the internet,
but stopping the sharing of files is impossible. Will they close every
binary newsgroup, and stop people hosting websites with hidden pages
full of ".xxx(rename to mp3)" files ?

Too little too late, RIAA.
--
slumpy
no more

E_\\_______F

No, you're right it will never come to an end completely. Once the
RIAA realizes they're spending more $ in court than they are losing
to kazaa they will slack off a bit but until then, theres gonna be
some scared people who will stop sharing and del. their stash to save
their ass (as I did).

"slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bkd2tu$cj65$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
| "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you
?" I
| threw back my head and roared with laughter as E_\_______F
continued:

| No it doesn't. Think about how many /new/ users download, install
and
| use Kazaa, Soulseek, WinMX etc every year. How many people can
| realistically be prosecuted each year ? How long before they start
| make a dent in the total ? Forever seems a good guess.
|
| I accept it is illegal to download copyright files from the
internet,
| but stopping the sharing of files is impossible. Will they close
every
| binary newsgroup, and stop people hosting websites with hidden
pages
| full of ".xxx(rename to mp3)" files ?
|
| Too little too late, RIAA.
| --
| slumpy
| no more
| no less
| just slumpy

Gloria

Could someone direct me to a newsgroup where I can get legitimate answers to
real questions? Apparently this group isn't keen on helping newbies. Sorry I
dropped in and intruded amongst you 'techies'. Seems that my question
stirred up everything but answers. Can any of you remember when you were new
to something? Never mind directing me, I'll find my own way out.

Gloria

"E_\_______F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0elab.8116$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> No it is not legal and yes if they keep this up I am sure you will
> one day be caught. If the RIAA is sueing 12 year old little girls for
> downloading nursery rhymes, what makes you any different?
>
> "Gloria" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bkcmsh$7u6u$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> | I am new to computing and I'd like to know the ins and outs and the
> pros and
> | cons about sites such as kazaa and WinMx. How do they work? Can
> others get
> | into your computer this way? Is it legal? Thanks for any replies.

Me

B'Bye...

Gloria wrote:

> Could someone direct me to a newsgroup where I can get legitimate answers to
> real questions? Apparently this group isn't keen on helping newbies. Sorry I
> dropped in and intruded amongst you 'techies'. Seems that my question
> stirred up everything but answers. Can any of you remember when you were new
> to something? Never mind directing me, I'll find my own way out.
>
> Gloria
>
> "E_\_______F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0elab.8116$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > No it is not legal and yes if they keep this up I am sure you will
> > one day be caught. If the RIAA is sueing 12 year old little girls for
> > downloading nursery rhymes, what makes you any different?
> >
> > "Gloria" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bkcmsh$7u6u$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > | I am new to computing and I'd like to know the ins and outs and the
> > pros and
> > | cons about sites such as kazaa and WinMx. How do they work? Can
> > others get
> > | into your computer this way? Is it legal? Thanks for any replies.

SgtMinor

Gloria wrote:

> Could someone direct me to a newsgroup where I can get legitimate answers to
> real questions? Apparently this group isn't keen on helping newbies. Sorry I
> dropped in and intruded amongst you 'techies'. Seems that my question
> stirred up everything but answers. Can any of you remember when you were new
> to something? Never mind directing me, I'll find my own way out.

Huh? "Could someone direct me..." and "Never mind directing me...? I
am sooo confused.

--
"sic gloria transit mundi"

> Gloria
>
> "E_\_______F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0elab.8116$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > No it is not legal and yes if they keep this up I am sure you will
> > one day be caught. If the RIAA is sueing 12 year old little girls for
> > downloading nursery rhymes, what makes you any different?
> >
> > "Gloria" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bkcmsh$7u6u$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > | I am new to computing and I'd like to know the ins and outs and the
> > pros and
> > | cons about sites such as kazaa and WinMx. How do they work? Can
> > others get
> > | into your computer this way? Is it legal? Thanks for any replies.

trout

Gloria wrote:

> Could someone direct me to a newsgroup where I can get legitimate
> answers to real questions? Apparently this group isn't keen on
> helping newbies. Sorry I dropped in and intruded amongst you
> 'techies'. Seems that my question stirred up everything but answers.
> Can any of you remember when you were new to something? Never mind
> directing me, I'll find my own way out.
>
> Gloria

Sure you don't want a hand? Must be hard to stride dramatically away
in a huff with that stick up your ass.
--
"Try alt.whiners."

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as E_\_______F continued:

>> No it doesn't. Think about how many /new/ users download, install and
>> use Kazaa, Soulseek, WinMX etc every year. How many people can
>> realistically be prosecuted each year ? How long before they start to
>> make a dent in the total ? Forever seems a good guess.
>>
>> I accept it is illegal to download copyright files from the internet,
>> but stopping the sharing of files is impossible. Will they close
>> every binary newsgroup, and stop people hosting websites with hidden
>> pages full of ".xxx(rename to mp3)" files ?
>>
>> Too little too late, RIAA.

> No, you're right it will never come to an end completely. Once the
> RIAA realizes they're spending more $ in court than they are losing
> to kazaa they will slack off a bit but until then, theres gonna be
> some scared people who will stop sharing and del. their stash to save
> their ass (as I did).

The RIAA are stamping their feet and making lots of noise to try to get
that very reaction from people. They know that their only approach is to
close the P2P netwroks down, but they are soon replaced so they know
they will never win.
--
slumpy
no more

Brian H

SgtMinor said:

> Gloria wrote:
>>
>> Could someone direct me to a newsgroup where I can get legitimate answers to
>> real questions? Apparently this group isn't keen on helping newbies. Sorry I
>> dropped in and intruded amongst you 'techies'. Seems that my question
>> stirred up everything but answers. Can any of you remember when you were new
>> to something? Never mind directing me, I'll find my own way out.

> Huh? "Could someone direct me..." and "Never mind directing me...? I
> am sooo confused.
>

> --
> "sic gloria transit mundi"

What was Gloria doing in the back of your transit on Monday?