Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wired network with one wireless connection

Wired network with one wireless connection

Barry OGrady

I have a wired network with five computers connected via a wired switch.
I want to connect one notebook via wireless. What hardware do I need?
Is it just one wireless desktop card and one wireless notebook card, so
that I have two network cards in one desktop computer?

-Barry
========
Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

why?

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 01:10:40 +1000, Barry OGrady wrote:

>I have a wired network with five computers connected via a wired switch.
>I want to connect one notebook via wireless. What hardware do I need?
>Is it just one wireless desktop card and one wireless notebook card, so
>that I have two network cards in one desktop computer?

Some thing I want to do myself as well, without replacing my existing
router/switch.

If you have a spare switch port then you can (simply, so I understand)
buy a WAP - wireless access point and plug it into the switch. Then the
wireless NIC for the notebook.

You could of course do as you suggest, put a 2nd NIC, wireless into a PC
but then you have to route through that PC and it would have to be on
all the time as well.

Usual places to look
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.helmig.com/
http://www.homenethelp.com/
http://www.homepcnetwork.com/

Me

Mangusta

Belkin have a great little WNAP (Wireless Network Access Point) very easy to
work with, and it looks great hung on the wall!

I have one hooked up to my Billion 4 port router, and the DSL.... Works a
charm, and has good range

Cheers
Paul

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 01:10:40 +1000, Barry OGrady wrote:
>
> >I have a wired network with five computers connected via a wired switch.
> >I want to connect one notebook via wireless. What hardware do I need?
> >Is it just one wireless desktop card and one wireless notebook card, so
> >that I have two network cards in one desktop computer?
> >

> Some thing I want to do myself as well, without replacing my existing
> router/switch.
>
> If you have a spare switch port then you can (simply, so I understand)
> buy a WAP - wireless access point and plug it into the switch. Then the
> wireless NIC for the notebook.
>
> You could of course do as you suggest, put a 2nd NIC, wireless into a PC
> but then you have to route through that PC and it would have to be on
> all the time as well.
>
> Usual places to look
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
> http://www.helmig.com/
> http://www.homenethelp.com/
> http://www.homepcnetwork.com/
>
> Me

why?

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:14:10 +0800, Mangusta wrote:

>Belkin have a great little WNAP (Wireless Network Access Point) very easy to
>work with, and it looks great hung on the wall!
>
>I have one hooked up to my Billion 4 port router, and the DSL.... Works a
>charm, and has good range

Thanks.

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 01:10:40 +1000, Barry OGrady wrote:
>>
>> >I have a wired network with five computers connected via a wired switch.
>> >I want to connect one notebook via wireless. What hardware do I need?

<snip>