Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New Computer Advice

New Computer Advice

John

I have managed to save £1500 for a new computer !!!-
I am a complete Novice and would welcome any suggestions on a Good reliable
Machine.
Would I need a 3.2 G/Hrts processor or a 2.8 ? - I have been looking at
Hewlett Packard - and Fujitsu Siemans - as well as Dell -which I have at the
moment - it's five years old now and it's time for a change !!! Has anybody
got any recommendations ??? I use it mainly for buying and selling on ebay -
writing letters - keeping track of household accounts ... watching the odd
DVD now and again ... and that's about it .
Thanks
John From Cornwall

-= Hawk =-

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:33:33 +0000 (UTC), "John"
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>I have managed to save £1500 for a new computer !!!-
>I am a complete Novice and would welcome any suggestions on a Good reliable
>Machine.
>Would I need a 3.2 G/Hrts processor or a 2.8 ? - I have been looking at
>Hewlett Packard - and Fujitsu Siemans - as well as Dell -which I have at the
>moment - it's five years old now and it's time for a change !!! Has anybody
>got any recommendations ??? I use it mainly for buying and selling on ebay -
>writing letters - keeping track of household accounts ... watching the odd
>DVD now and again ... and that's about it .

If that's all you use the machine for why bother getting a new one?
And if you must, you certainly don't NEED a 2.8 or 3.2 or any top
end machine, a 2gHz Celeron would be more than sufficient.

--

Exxy is my hero!

why?

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:33:33 +0000 (UTC), John wrote:

>I have managed to save Ā£1500 for a new computer !!!-

You could almost get 2 for that in some places. Otherwise lots of addons
like printer, scanner , speakers, etc.

Check the UK computer mags for reviews, PC Plus Issue 208 Nov 2003 had a
system Ā£999 inc VAT. In a group test of 9 systems.

>I am a complete Novice and would welcome any suggestions on a Good reliable
>Machine.
>Would I need a 3.2 G/Hrts processor or a 2.8 ? - I have been looking at

That's 3.2GHz

>Hewlett Packard - and Fujitsu Siemans - as well as Dell -which I have at the

I prefer kit / home made. However at work the Dells have been very good.
http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/uk/
We also use these as well, Compaq Evo 510 several UK retailers have good
prices on these. If you hunt around the base unit only can be as low as
Ā£500 , you supply OS/monitor/keyboard etc. Sorry I don't have the URL
the guys at work used handy.

Try, this is not the link I was looking for.
http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk

on the Dell website today -

Dell 2400 Dimension
From: Ā£849
Price inc. VAT & Del.
Offer due to end 24/09/2003
IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® 4 Processor 2.80GHz (512K Cache)
Was 256MB, Now 512MB RAM
17" Analogue Flat Panel Monitor (17.0" v.i.s)
80GB IDE Hard Drive (7.200rpm)
Was DVD/CD-ReWriter Combo Drive, Now DVD+RW Drive

>moment - it's five years old now and it's time for a change !!! Has anybody
>got any recommendations ??? I use it mainly for buying and selling on ebay -
>writing letters - keeping track of household accounts ... watching the odd
>DVD now and again ... and that's about it .

3.2GHz seems a bit of overkill for 95% of your requirements.

Magazines, just a couple
www.pcplus.co.uk
www.pcpro.co.uk/

Me

Boomer

John said:

> I have managed to save £1500 for a new computer !!!-
> I am a complete Novice and would welcome any suggestions on a
> Good reliable Machine.
> Would I need a 3.2 G/Hrts processor or a 2.8 ? - I have been
> looking at Hewlett Packard - and Fujitsu Siemans - as well as
> Dell -which I have at the moment - it's five years old now and
> it's time for a change !!! Has anybody got any recommendations
> ??? I use it mainly for buying and selling on ebay - writing
> letters - keeping track of household accounts ... watching the
> odd DVD now and again ... and that's about it .
> Thanks
> John From Cornwall

Don't know why you would need a new machine.
Use the $ and take the family on a vacation.

William Poaster

This is the Flibbydabby Dee Service of the BBC, & on Thu, 18 Sep 2003
10:33:33 +0000, John uttered this:

> I have managed to save £1500 for a new computer !!!-
> I am a complete Novice and would welcome any suggestions on a Good reliable
> Machine.
> Would I need a 3.2 G/Hrts processor or a 2.8 ? - I have been looking at
> Hewlett Packard - and Fujitsu Siemans - as well as Dell -which I have at the
> moment - it's five years old now and it's time for a change !!! Has anybody
> got any recommendations ??? I use it mainly for buying and selling on ebay -
> writing letters - keeping track of household accounts ... watching the odd
> DVD now and again ... and that's about it .
> Thanks
> John From Cornwall

Apart from the other advice given by people, may I also suggest you look
through these newsgroups.....
uk.adverts.computer
uk.comp.vendors
The latter NG, may also give you an idea of whom to buy from, & who to
avoid!

--
"Good Luck!"

Plato

John wrote:

> got any recommendations ??? I use it mainly for buying and selling on ebay -
> writing letters - keeping track of household accounts ... watching the odd
> DVD now and again ... and that's about it .

Buy an used P233 with 128 ram for about 50 quid.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/