Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > McAfee Firewall...

McAfee Firewall...

tRuthvalue

I'm running a LinkSys home router which is addressed at 192.168.1.1. If I
enable McAfee Firewall, it logs the following violation approximately every
5-10 seconds. This occurs even when nothing like ICQ or AIM is running.
These packets being "blocked" don't seem to be causing a problem, but I'd
like to know what's going on. I've paid my dues in the McAfee help system,
but can't find an answer.

Here is the message appearing every 5-10 seconds:

'McAfee Firewall blocked an incoming UDP packet. The remote address
associated with the traffic was 192.168.1.1 (port 12842). The local port on
your PC was 162. The template rule in effect for this traffic was "Unknown
traffic".'

Thanks for any insight and/or advice.

Spider

> I'm running a LinkSys home router which is addressed at 192.168.1.1. If I
> enable McAfee Firewall, it logs the following violation approximately every
> 5-10 seconds. This occurs even when nothing like ICQ or AIM is running.
> These packets being "blocked" don't seem to be causing a problem, but I'd
> like to know what's going on. I've paid my dues in the McAfee help system,
> but can't find an answer.
>
> Here is the message appearing every 5-10 seconds:
>
> 'McAfee Firewall blocked an incoming UDP packet. The remote address
> associated with the traffic was 192.168.1.1 (port 12842). The local port on
> your PC was 162. The template rule in effect for this traffic was "Unknown
> traffic".'
>
> Thanks for any insight and/or advice.

Do you have any port forwarding going on in your Linksys configs? Do you or have you used music sharing software? As long as the firewall is blocking it there probably is not much to worry about. It's the ones that you don't get notified of that causes problems

Spider
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

--
Composed with Newz Crawler 1.5 http://www.newzcrawler.com/

tRuthvalue

Thanks Spider,

No music sharing now but in the past there was. I restarted the router,
getting a new IP number, and the UDP's stopped.

--tRuth

"Spider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1vfab.2852$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > I'm running a LinkSys home router which is addressed at 192.168.1.1. If

> > enable McAfee Firewall, it logs the following violation approximately

every
> > 5-10 seconds. This occurs even when nothing like ICQ or AIM is running.
> > These packets being "blocked" don't seem to be causing a problem, but

I'd
> > like to know what's going on. I've paid my dues in the McAfee help

system,
> > but can't find an answer.
> >
> > Here is the message appearing every 5-10 seconds:
> >
> > 'McAfee Firewall blocked an incoming UDP packet. The remote address
> > associated with the traffic was 192.168.1.1 (port 12842). The local

port on
> > your PC was 162. The template rule in effect for this traffic was

"Unknown
> > traffic".'
> >
> > Thanks for any insight and/or advice.

> Do you have any port forwarding going on in your Linksys configs? Do you

or have you used music sharing software? As long as the firewall is
blocking it there probably is not much to worry about. It's the ones that
you don't get notified of that causes problems

> Spider
> http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1
>
> --
> Composed with Newz Crawler 1.5 http://www.newzcrawler.com/

Plato

tRuthvalue wrote:

> like to know what's going on. I've paid my dues in the McAfee help system,
> but can't find an answer.

So, What did you get for your money????

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Firefox 1.0.6 and Mcafee VirusScan Zygon Curry Firefox 3 09-13-2005 01:33 PM
Using McAfee with FF 1.0.4 Dave \Doc\ Corio Firefox 1 05-26-2005 12:39 AM
McAfee compatible? balado Firefox 3 02-10-2005 05:49 PM
Re: McAfee AV update kills McAfee AV tonight Chris Mayhew NZ Computing 3 06-20-2004 05:00 AM
Re: McAfee AV update kills McAfee AV tonight Porkster NZ Computing 4 06-19-2004 09:19 AM

Advertisments