Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Internet sharing

Internet sharing

JONI

Hi

Does anyone know the best way to share Internet access (broadband) for 8
users on windows 98se.
The network setup has been done by some data engineer and Ive been left to
pick up the pieces.
There is a cabinet of 2x 20 port patch panels and a 20 port switch -
The network only consists of 8 clients peer 2 peer.

Do I need a router to share everyone on a single B/band connection
or can it be set up another way via third party software.
Every machine needs to be able to send and receive emails as well/.

Thankyou for any advice

Suenet

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:35:48 +0100, JONI wrote:

> Hi
>
> Does anyone know the best way to share Internet access (broadband) for 8
> users on windows 98se.
> The network setup has been done by some data engineer and Ive been left to
> pick up the pieces.
> There is a cabinet of 2x 20 port patch panels and a 20 port switch -
> The network only consists of 8 clients peer 2 peer.
>
> Do I need a router to share everyone on a single B/band connection
> or can it be set up another way via third party software.
> Every machine needs to be able to send and receive emails as well/.
>

> Thankyou for any advice

A single port router would do just fine.

lee

Sounds easy how you put it.
Any Idea where to position the router cause it looks kinda messy in the cab
Can you elaberate please on the single port route or give me some bumf.

Ta

"Suenet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:35:48 +0100, JONI wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Does anyone know the best way to share Internet access (broadband) for 8
> > users on windows 98se.
> > The network setup has been done by some data engineer and Ive been left

> > pick up the pieces.
> > There is a cabinet of 2x 20 port patch panels and a 20 port switch -
> > The network only consists of 8 clients peer 2 peer.
> >
> > Do I need a router to share everyone on a single B/band connection
> > or can it be set up another way via third party software.
> > Every machine needs to be able to send and receive emails as well/.
> >

> > Thankyou for any advice

> A single port router would do just fine.

Ron Martell

"JONI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Does anyone know the best way to share Internet access (broadband) for 8
>users on windows 98se.
>The network setup has been done by some data engineer and Ive been left to
>pick up the pieces.
>There is a cabinet of 2x 20 port patch panels and a 20 port switch -
>The network only consists of 8 clients peer 2 peer.
>
>Do I need a router to share everyone on a single B/band connection
>or can it be set up another way via third party software.
>Every machine needs to be able to send and receive emails as well/.
>

>Thankyou for any advice

Get a Cable/DSL router. They are widely available and prices are
dropping. Saw one in the local Staples the other day for $39 CDN
after rebate.

These routers will have a WAN port that connects to your broadband
modem and 4 LAN ports which can connect direct to PCs or to your
switch. You may need a "crossover" wired cable to connect the Router
to the Switch.

Good luck.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

lee

Thanx ron
You sound like you know the bobby more//
Will check it out

"Ron Martell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "JONI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >Does anyone know the best way to share Internet access (broadband) for 8
> >users on windows 98se.
> >The network setup has been done by some data engineer and Ive been left

> >pick up the pieces.
> >There is a cabinet of 2x 20 port patch panels and a 20 port switch -
> >The network only consists of 8 clients peer 2 peer.
> >
> >Do I need a router to share everyone on a single B/band connection
> >or can it be set up another way via third party software.
> >Every machine needs to be able to send and receive emails as well/.
> >

> >Thankyou for any advice
> >

> Get a Cable/DSL router. They are widely available and prices are
> dropping. Saw one in the local Staples the other day for $39 CDN
> after rebate.
>
> These routers will have a WAN port that connects to your broadband
> modem and 4 LAN ports which can connect direct to PCs or to your
> switch. You may need a "crossover" wired cable to connect the Router
> to the Switch.
>
> Good luck.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

AlanG

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:35:48 +0100, "JONI" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>Does anyone know the best way to share Internet access (broadband) for 8
>users on windows 98se.
>The network setup has been done by some data engineer and Ive been left to
>pick up the pieces.
>There is a cabinet of 2x 20 port patch panels and a 20 port switch -
>The network only consists of 8 clients peer 2 peer.
>
>Do I need a router to share everyone on a single B/band connection
>or can it be set up another way via third party software.

A router would be best but you could stick another NIC in a pc and use
that. Not satisfactory IME.
try http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2000.htm

>Every machine needs to be able to send and receive emails as well/.

Depends on what your ISP allows.
You can usually set up as many accounts as your ISP allows on as many
machines as you like.

--
Alan G
"The corporate life [of society] must be

BananaPannaPoe-

Get a router. Plug your switch into it.

--
Want someone to fix your computer remotely?
Check out Network info at this site:

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/tips.htm
"JONI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bk9nvf$t63$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Does anyone know the best way to share Internet access (broadband) for 8
> users on windows 98se.
> The network setup has been done by some data engineer and Ive been left to
> pick up the pieces.
> There is a cabinet of 2x 20 port patch panels and a 20 port switch -
> The network only consists of 8 clients peer 2 peer.
>
> Do I need a router to share everyone on a single B/band connection
> or can it be set up another way via third party software.
> Every machine needs to be able to send and receive emails as well/.
>

> Thankyou for any advice

---