Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can someone recommend any s/w to checkout comm ports ?

Can someone recommend any s/w to checkout comm ports ?

Steve

Hi All,
I've just upgraded to an abit NF7S (reformatted and reinstalled
everything the way it was before, old system was a p4 on an via chipset
mb) and now all my phone s/w (for ring tones and graphics) can't
communicate with the phones ?

I've tried 2 sets of leads with 3 phones on both ports (all of which
worked before the upgrade) and none of them will work now.
I'm running W2k, device manager claims no problems with either port. So,
I'd like to test the comms ports before I take the mb back (if I could
just find an old comm port mouse....doh).

Steve

why?

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:33:08 +0100, Steve wrote:

>Hi All,
> I've just upgraded to an abit NF7S (reformatted and reinstalled
>everything the way it was before, old system was a p4 on an via chipset
>mb) and now all my phone s/w (for ring tones and graphics) can't
>communicate with the phones ?

<snip.
>I'm running W2k, device manager claims no problems with either port. So,
>I'd like to test the comms ports before I take the mb back (if I could

External modem?

Serial cable DCC link to second PC
http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/dccmain.htm

>just find an old comm port mouse....doh).
>
>Any help would be very much appreciated.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml
Portmon v3.02
Monitor serial and parallel port activity with this advanced monitoring
tool. It knows about all standard serial and parallel IOCTLs and even
shows you a portion of the data being sent and received. Version 3.x has
powerful new UI enhancements and advanced filtering capabilities.

Or somethng like a hardware tester
http://rswww.com/

Comtest RS-232 Line Monitor, RS232LM
410-0463 £36.04

or
mini-tester 9
202-537 £25.49

VBHexTerm.
http://www.beyond-designs.com/PC_ports.htm
has LED/line status shown on screen.

Another option is making a loopback tester
http://www.passmark.com/support/loopback.htm

making one with LED indicator
http://www.airborn.com.au/rs232.html

another software monitor