Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Network Dropout?

Network Dropout?

Cyrus Bharda

Howdy all,

Well yet again I am going to use you all as a helpdesk, if you dont mind.

I have googled high and low, tried changing a thousand different settings,
installed programs, uninstalled programs but the same problem just keeps
happening and I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

Problem:

Everyday between 4:30pm and 5:00pm (seemingly random time in between) for
some reason a mapped drive on all our 98 boxes gets disconnected.

The map is to a share on a windows 2000 server and I have checked the share
settings and security settings, all set to read/write access for everyone.

The map is put in there via a login script which works fine, maps it to M:
and there is sits and gets accessed all day long.

Now there is nothing on the server that is scheduled to run anytime between
4pm and 10pm and I have looked at countless logs which dont give me any
clue, so I enabled some perfmon counters to try to see what is happening and
they all look fine.

This only happens to 98 boxes, any 2000 box with this share does not miss a
beat.

Everyone gets their IP settings from DHCP from the same 2000 server, and any
mapped drive to other 2000/98 boxes stay connected and are fine.

Is there anything I have missed?

I dont really need answers like "install a real os" or "what do you expect
from using a M$ product" type suggestions, I am just so totally annoyed that
this keeps happening, and those boxes that are on 98 have to stay on 98 so
no hope of upgrading them

Is there a setting in 2000 server to drop connections or something?

Thanks for your time,

Cyrus Bharda

George

Have you tried a force refresh of all IP address just before this happens?
It might be a system protocol in 98 that is built in to force a refresh
everyday ie for security reasons. Other than that, I cant think why that
should be happening at all.

"Cyrus Bharda"
<(E-Mail Removed) r.email.replies> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Howdy all,
>
> Well yet again I am going to use you all as a helpdesk, if you dont mind.
>
> I have googled high and low, tried changing a thousand different settings,
> installed programs, uninstalled programs but the same problem just keeps
> happening and I'll be damned if I can figure it out.
>
> Problem:
>
> Everyday between 4:30pm and 5:00pm (seemingly random time in between) for
> some reason a mapped drive on all our 98 boxes gets disconnected.
>
> The map is to a share on a windows 2000 server and I have checked the

share
> settings and security settings, all set to read/write access for everyone.
>
> The map is put in there via a login script which works fine, maps it to M:
> and there is sits and gets accessed all day long.
>
> Now there is nothing on the server that is scheduled to run anytime

between
> 4pm and 10pm and I have looked at countless logs which dont give me any
> clue, so I enabled some perfmon counters to try to see what is happening

and
> they all look fine.
>
> This only happens to 98 boxes, any 2000 box with this share does not miss

> beat.
>
> Everyone gets their IP settings from DHCP from the same 2000 server, and

any
> mapped drive to other 2000/98 boxes stay connected and are fine.
>
> Is there anything I have missed?
>
> I dont really need answers like "install a real os" or "what do you expect
> from using a M$ product" type suggestions, I am just so totally annoyed

that
> this keeps happening, and those boxes that are on 98 have to stay on 98 so
> no hope of upgrading them
>
> Is there a setting in 2000 server to drop connections or something?
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Cyrus Bharda

why?

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:42:35 +1000, Cyrus Bharda wrote:

>Howdy all,
>
>Well yet again I am going to use you all as a helpdesk, if you dont mind.
>
>I have googled high and low, tried changing a thousand different settings,

<snip>

Please don't post binary files to a text group , frown.gif.

Me