Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > BIOS update

BIOS update

zim

Hello. I have some Compaq Prosignia's here (PIII 450 256MB) I've recently
upgraded to Windows XP (from 9. Prior to this I installed a BIOS update to
the latest version available (a version recommended for Windows 2000 dated
8/99). These machines have Compaq boards with an Intel chipset (says Intel
FW82443BX).

A couple of these machines have been crashing...a lot.

System event viewer shows Event ID 4 Errors with a source ACPI:

AMLI ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal I/O port address (then
gives a memory address) this could lead to system instability.

All info on this error I've found through google etc. says to update the
BIOS but I have the most recent version (from 1999). I'm wondering what to
try next...

Thanks,

PK

Paul - xxx

zim tried to scribble ...

> Hello. I have some Compaq Prosignia's here (PIII 450 256MB) I've
> recently upgraded to Windows XP (from 9. Prior to this I installed
> a BIOS update to the latest version available (a version recommended
> for Windows 2000 dated 8/99). These machines have Compaq boards with
> an Intel chipset (says Intel FW82443BX).
>
> A couple of these machines have been crashing...a lot.
>
> System event viewer shows Event ID 4 Errors with a source ACPI:
>
> AMLI ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal I/O port address
> (then gives a memory address) this could lead to system instability.
>
> All info on this error I've found through google etc. says to update
> the BIOS but I have the most recent version (from 1999). I'm
> wondering what to try next...
>
> Thanks,
>
> PK

If the update hasn't worked, then go back to the pevious version. You may
need to wipe the BIOS completely to do so .. usually a jumper on the
motherboard can accomplish this. Otherwise, remove the motherboard battery,
wait 15 minutes or more, replace battery.

Be sure you know and can follow _exactly_ the manufacturers instructions ..

--
.............................Paul - xxx

Stevo

Paul - xxx wrote:
> zim tried to scribble ...
>
>> Hello. I have some Compaq Prosignia's here (PIII 450 256MB) I've
>> recently upgraded to Windows XP (from 9. Prior to this I installed
>> a BIOS update to the latest version available (a version recommended
>> for Windows 2000 dated 8/99). These machines have Compaq boards with
>> an Intel chipset (says Intel FW82443BX).
>>
>> A couple of these machines have been crashing...a lot.
>>
>> System event viewer shows Event ID 4 Errors with a source ACPI:
>>
>> AMLI ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal I/O port address
>> (then gives a memory address) this could lead to system instability.
>>
>> All info on this error I've found through google etc. says to update
>> the BIOS but I have the most recent version (from 1999). I'm
>> wondering what to try next...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> PK

> If the update hasn't worked, then go back to the pevious version.
> You may need to wipe the BIOS completely to do so .. usually a jumper
> on the motherboard can accomplish this. Otherwise, remove the
> motherboard battery, wait 15 minutes or more, replace battery.
>
> Be sure you know and can follow _exactly_ the manufacturers
> instructions ..

The jumper will only clear configurable CMOS settings, NOT the BIOS itself.

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

Re: Bios Update Shep© Computer Support 0 07-05-2003 07:59 PM
Re: Bios Update °Mike° Computer Support 0 07-05-2003 02:54 AM

Advertisments