Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer freezes when opening WORD

Computer freezes when opening WORD

msyjsy

Everything else is fine, including programs that use lots of resources, but
when I attempt to open a WORD DOC my computer hangs. And when I cont\alt\del
to close it down I get a box claiming my recourses are DANGEROUSLY LOW. At
that point it will usually hang and I have to do an illegal shutdown, but
once in a while it will let me continue only to get that message at the next
click of anything.
I used ALL of the Norton utilities, and it finds nothing. ( At this point I
have blamed Norton, and have deleted it).
I have even deleted Word and reinstalled it, since it is the only program
that initiates this problem, didn't work.
I have reloaded windows, but it has not erased my primary drive as it has on
other computers. I restart and it as if nothing has happened, everything is
still as it was prior.
HELP.

--
From The
Desk Of: Jesse A. Harrington

Which operating system are you using? This sounds like you are running
Windows 98/98SE and you most likely have had your pc on for a long period of
time, possibly running the screen saver as well.

Chris

--
Great Stock Market Trading Game
You can Even WIN CASH Prizes!
"msyjsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:A4K9b.37700$A%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Everything else is fine, including programs that use lots of resources,

but
> when I attempt to open a WORD DOC my computer hangs. And when I

cont\alt\del
> to close it down I get a box claiming my recourses are DANGEROUSLY LOW. At
> that point it will usually hang and I have to do an illegal shutdown, but
> once in a while it will let me continue only to get that message at the

next
> click of anything.
> I used ALL of the Norton utilities, and it finds nothing. ( At this point

> have blamed Norton, and have deleted it).
> I have even deleted Word and reinstalled it, since it is the only program
> that initiates this problem, didn't work.
> I have reloaded windows, but it has not erased my primary drive as it has

on
> other computers. I restart and it as if nothing has happened, everything

is
> still as it was prior.
> HELP.
>
> --
> From The
> Desk Of: Jesse A. Harrington

Wal

"msyjsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:A4K9b.37700$A%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Everything else is fine, including programs that use lots of resources,

but
> when I attempt to open a WORD DOC my computer hangs. And when I

cont\alt\del
> to close it down I get a box claiming my recourses are DANGEROUSLY LOW. At
> that point it will usually hang and I have to do an illegal shutdown, but
> once in a while it will let me continue only to get that message at the

next
> click of anything.
> I used ALL of the Norton utilities, and it finds nothing. ( At this point

> have blamed Norton, and have deleted it).
> I have even deleted Word and reinstalled it, since it is the only program
> that initiates this problem, didn't work.
> I have reloaded windows, but it has not erased my primary drive as it has

on
> other computers. I restart and it as if nothing has happened, everything

is
> still as it was prior.
> HELP.
>
> --
> From The
> Desk Of: Jesse A. Harrington

When you uninstall early versions of Word it leaves behind the INI file
which has all of your Word settings so when you reinstall nothing has
changed.
I do not known if recent versions do the same but I think they probably do.
So after you uninstall try renaming rather than deleting, to be on the safe
side, any MSoffice or Word ini file and reinstall.

However before you do that check how much free space you have on the drive
with your window swap file, probably C, even if Word is installed on another
drive. Low resources can mean that there is not enough free disk space left
for your windows swap file to grow as large as it needs to. Maybe
all you need to do is to free up some disk space on drive C.

Good luck
Wal

zim

This happened to one of my users lately. It occured because of a corrupt
Normal template. I deleted her Normal.dot template and restarted the
computer. Word recreated the Normal template and worked fine...low system
resources errors also went away.

Do a file search for "Normal.dot" on the computer. When you find it, rename
it to "oldnormal.dot" and then restart the computer and start Word. See if
this helps.

PK
"msyjsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:A4K9b.37700$A%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Everything else is fine, including programs that use lots of resources,

but
> when I attempt to open a WORD DOC my computer hangs. And when I

cont\alt\del
> to close it down I get a box claiming my recourses are DANGEROUSLY LOW. At
> that point it will usually hang and I have to do an illegal shutdown, but
> once in a while it will let me continue only to get that message at the

next
> click of anything.
> I used ALL of the Norton utilities, and it finds nothing. ( At this point

> have blamed Norton, and have deleted it).
> I have even deleted Word and reinstalled it, since it is the only program
> that initiates this problem, didn't work.
> I have reloaded windows, but it has not erased my primary drive as it has

on
> other computers. I restart and it as if nothing has happened, everything

is
> still as it was prior.
> HELP.
>
> --
> From The
> Desk Of: Jesse A. Harrington

Exiddor

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:08:00 GMT, msyjsy wrote:

> Everything else is fine, including programs that use lots of resources, but
> when I attempt to open a WORD DOC my computer hangs. And when I cont\alt\del
> to close it down I get a box claiming my recourses are DANGEROUSLY LOW. At
> that point it will usually hang and I have to do an illegal shutdown, but
> once in a while it will let me continue only to get that message at the next
> click of anything.

This problem is usually caused by a corrupt file "normal.dot". See

Exiddor.