Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireless network for newbie question

Wireless network for newbie question

Paul

I have recently connected my main PC with my laptop and another
computer using a Linksys Wireless Access Point router. These function
fine except I have a speed question. On my main machine I show a
Local Area Connection with a speed of 100 mbps. Using a Linksys USB
Wireless Adapter the other computers show a healthy connection but a
speed of only 11 mbps. I can live with that but wonder: Is this
normal?
PH

Adam Gross

Unfortunately, yes it is normal. The fastest residential grade wireless
routers available at the moment only do 54mbps. Standard wireless is
11mbps.

-Adam

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have recently connected my main PC with my laptop and another
> computer using a Linksys Wireless Access Point router. These function
> fine except I have a speed question. On my main machine I show a
> Local Area Connection with a speed of 100 mbps. Using a Linksys USB
> Wireless Adapter the other computers show a healthy connection but a
> speed of only 11 mbps. I can live with that but wonder: Is this
> normal?
> PH

JabberSmith

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have recently connected my main PC with my laptop and another
> computer using a Linksys Wireless Access Point router. These function
> fine except I have a speed question. On my main machine I show a
> Local Area Connection with a speed of 100 mbps. Using a Linksys USB
> Wireless Adapter the other computers show a healthy connection but a
> speed of only 11 mbps. I can live with that but wonder: Is this
> normal?
> PH

USB has a limit well below 10 or 100 mbps for home ethernet routers. It
would be a bottleneck anyway.

Computer Guy

Yup!
The main machine is wire connected and an internal network will run at 100
mbps.
It is inherent for an 802.11 connection to run at 11 mbps. However it is
sufficient to
keep up with any broadband connection.
So, the answer is yes, it is completely normal.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...