Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > spell checking web doc on right click?

spell checking web doc on right click?

Paul Eden

Gang,
I know this isn't strictly the right place to do this, but there is such a
depth of knowledge here I thought I'd chance my arm. I (honestly) have
looked around the net for this but haven't found anything suitable.

I'm looking for a XP application or modification which will allow me to
instantly spell check highlighted text in IE form documents.
I spend some time on forums and bulletin boards on the 'net and so my posts
are often typed into a web form. Obviously, there is no spell checking
available here so I find myself pasting it into Word or a spell checking
website.
What I'd really like to be able to do is; In the web form, highlight the
text, right click and in with cut/copy, there'd be an option called
"Spellcheck" which I could click to do the check.
I notice that with the Google Toolbar installed, right click offers "Google
search" along with cut/copy, so it's not hard to do, does anybody know of a
solution for this?

Thanks for reading, sorry I rambled.

Paul

°Mike°

Try this:

Spell Check utility for forum posts
http://www.devicetop.com/site/forum/viewmsg/msg-13337

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:55:52 +0100, in
<eil9b.309$(E-Mail Removed)>
Paul Eden scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

johnski

In news:eil9b.309$(E-Mail Removed),
Paul Eden typed:
> Gang,
> I know this isn't strictly the right place to do this, but there is
> such a depth of knowledge here I thought I'd chance my arm. I
> (honestly) have looked around the net for this but haven't found
> anything suitable.
>
> I'm looking for a XP application or modification which will allow me
> to instantly spell check highlighted text in IE form documents.
> I spend some time on forums and bulletin boards on the 'net and so my
> posts are often typed into a web form. Obviously, there is no spell
> checking available here so I find myself pasting it into Word or a
> spell checking website.
> What I'd really like to be able to do is; In the web form, highlight
> the text, right click and in with cut/copy, there'd be an option
> called "Spellcheck" which I could click to do the check.
> I notice that with the Google Toolbar installed, right click offers
> "Google search" along with cut/copy, so it's not hard to do, does
> anybody know of a solution for this?
>
> Thanks for reading, sorry I rambled.
>
> Paul

Paul

The following script works for me. I'm using Win XP home, IE6, Word 2000.

Copy the below & paste into notpad. Save as spell.js in your favourites
folder.

To use, enter the text in the web form and select it. Run the script by
clicking on it in your favourites. My script is on the links toolbar for
easy access.

It copies the selected text, runs Word, pastes, does a spell check, copies
the corrected text and asks if you want to paste it.

HTH

--
John

oShell= new
ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
oShell.SendKeys( "^c" ); // copy
oWord= new ActiveXObject("Word.Application");
oWord.Visible= true;
oWord.Documents.Add();
oWord.Selection.Paste();
oWord.ActiveDocument.CheckSpelling();
oWord.Selection.WholeStory();
oWord.Selection.Copy();
oWord.ActiveDocument.Close(0);
oWord.Quit();
var nRet= oShell.Popup( "Apply changes?\nClick OK to replace all selected
text.", 0, "Spell Check Complete", 33 );
if ( nRet == 1 ) {
oShell.SendKeys( "^v" ); // paste
}

--
john

trout

Paul Eden wrote:

> Gang,
> I know this isn't strictly the right place to do this, but there is
> such a depth of knowledge here I thought I'd chance my arm. I
> (honestly) have looked around the net for this but haven't found
> anything suitable.
>
> I'm looking for a XP application or modification which will allow me
> to instantly spell check highlighted text in IE form documents.
> I spend some time on forums and bulletin boards on the 'net and so my
> posts are often typed into a web form. Obviously, there is no spell
> checking available here so I find myself pasting it into Word or a
> spell checking website.
> What I'd really like to be able to do is; In the web form, highlight
> the text, right click and in with cut/copy, there'd be an option
> called "Spellcheck" which I could click to do the check.
> I notice that with the Google Toolbar installed, right click offers
> "Google search" along with cut/copy, so it's not hard to do, does
> anybody know of a solution for this?
>
> Thanks for reading, sorry I rambled.
>
> Paul

IESpell:
http://www.iespell.com/
--
"Right-click menu *or* toolbar."

Paul Eden

news:bk5ng2$plcpc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Paul Eden wrote:
>
> > Gang,
> > I know this isn't strictly the right place to do this, but there is
> > such a depth of knowledge here I thought I'd chance my arm. I
> > (honestly) have looked around the net for this but haven't found
> > anything suitable.
> >
> > I'm looking for a XP application or modification which will allow me
> > to instantly spell check highlighted text in IE form documents.
> > I spend some time on forums and bulletin boards on the 'net and so my
> > posts are often typed into a web form. Obviously, there is no spell
> > checking available here so I find myself pasting it into Word or a
> > spell checking website.
> > What I'd really like to be able to do is; In the web form, highlight
> > the text, right click and in with cut/copy, there'd be an option
> > called "Spellcheck" which I could click to do the check.
> > I notice that with the Google Toolbar installed, right click offers
> > "Google search" along with cut/copy, so it's not hard to do, does
> > anybody know of a solution for this?
> >
> > Thanks for reading, sorry I rambled.
> >
> > Paul

> IESpell:
> http://www.iespell.com/
> --
> "Right-click menu *or* toolbar."

I have gone for ieSpell, it does exactly what I want it to.
Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Paul