Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP activation query

XP activation query

Philip SC

A colleague has a corrupted installation of XP Pro on his machine, and has
genuinely lost the original installation CD (pause for snorts of derision).

He got an activation code for his setup a year ago when he first got the
machine, so does anyone have experience of approaching Microsoft with that
activation code/product key (I guess Belarc can get that) and a different XP
CD (say the one I bought and used on my own installation)? I don't want to
tell him to go out and buy another copy of XP unless he absolutely has to.

Many thanks.

Rajesh

You can get the only media. You can tell them lost the media

Thanks

"Philip SC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bk4gom$am4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> A colleague has a corrupted installation of XP Pro on his machine, and has
> genuinely lost the original installation CD (pause for snorts of

derision).

> He got an activation code for his setup a year ago when he first got the
> machine, so does anyone have experience of approaching Microsoft with that
> activation code/product key (I guess Belarc can get that) and a different

XP
> CD (say the one I bought and used on my own installation)? I don't want

> tell him to go out and buy another copy of XP unless he absolutely has to.
>
> Many thanks.

Gordon Burgess-Parker

Philip SC wrote:

> A colleague has a corrupted installation of XP Pro on his machine,
> and has genuinely lost the original installation CD (pause for snorts
> of derision).
>
> He got an activation code for his setup a year ago when he first got
> the machine, so does anyone have experience of approaching Microsoft
> with that activation code/product key (I guess Belarc can get that)
> and a different XP CD (say the one I bought and used on my own
> installation)? I don't want to tell him to go out and buy another
> copy of XP unless he absolutely has to.
>
> Many thanks.

You can certainly use your XP CD with his product key as long as it's
the same edition AFAIK

--
Google is your Friend
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

Ed

"Philip SC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bk4gom$am4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> A colleague has a corrupted installation of XP Pro on his machine, and has
> genuinely lost the original installation CD (pause for snorts of

derision).

> He got an activation code for his setup a year ago when he first got the
> machine, so does anyone have experience of approaching Microsoft with that
> activation code/product key (I guess Belarc can get that) and a different

XP
> CD (say the one I bought and used on my own installation)? I don't want

> tell him to go out and buy another copy of XP unless he absolutely has to.
>
> Many thanks.

I ran into a similar issue with MS Office XP... I ordered several new PCs
for my office and when attempting to activate Office I wasn't sure which CD
Keys I had used and which I hadn't. If the activation failed I simply called
Microsoft on the phone # listed during activation, and politely and honestly
explained the situation. After a brief slap-on-the-wrist and a comment about
keeping the media with the correct PC, they provided the unlock code. I've
done this 2-3 times successfully.

Good luck.

Patrick

Philip SC wrote:
> A colleague has a corrupted installation of XP Pro on his machine,
> and has genuinely lost the original installation CD (pause for snorts
> of derision).
>
> He got an activation code for his setup a year ago when he first got
> the machine, so does anyone have experience of approaching Microsoft
> with that activation code/product key (I guess Belarc can get that)
> and a different XP CD (say the one I bought and used on my own
> installation)? I don't want to tell him to go out and buy another
> copy of XP unless he absolutely has to.
>
> Many thanks.

Belarc Advisor gives what it calls a Software Licence, it has the form (on
my OEM HE edition);
#####-OEM-#######-##### where '#' is a numerical digit.
This is *not* the number/code that would be needed to re-install/re-activate
the OS

The Product Activation Code (POA) is the number/code that you would get when
you bought the OS(CD)
The POA can be recovered from an installed system with a utility that can be
obtained (free) at link below (also worth reading the page)..
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ViewKeyXP.htm

If the XP-CD that you have is exactly the same type (Retail/OEM Upgrade/Full
Pro/Home) as your colleague then your CD would do the job, or make a copy
(CD image).

However
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;326246

Eddie Grant

"Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zCk9b.276$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Philip SC wrote:
> > A colleague has a corrupted installation of XP Pro on his machine,
> > and has genuinely lost the original installation CD (pause for snorts
> > of derision).
> >
> > He got an activation code for his setup a year ago when he first got
> > the machine, so does anyone have experience of approaching Microsoft
> > with that activation code/product key (I guess Belarc can get that)
> > and a different XP CD (say the one I bought and used on my own
> > installation)? I don't want to tell him to go out and buy another
> > copy of XP unless he absolutely has to.
> >
> > Many thanks.

> Belarc Advisor gives what it calls a Software Licence, it has the form (on
> my OEM HE edition);
> #####-OEM-#######-##### where '#' is a numerical digit.
> This is *not* the number/code that would be needed to

re-install/re-activate
> the OS

Belarc also gives the Product ID which was used to install it
originally.....

Patrick

Eddie Grant wrote:
> "Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:zCk9b.276$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Philip SC wrote:
>>> A colleague has a corrupted installation of XP Pro on his machine,
>>> and has genuinely lost the original installation CD (pause for
>>> snorts of derision).
>>>
>>> He got an activation code for his setup a year ago when he first got
>>> the machine, so does anyone have experience of approaching Microsoft
>>> with that activation code/product key (I guess Belarc can get that)
>>> and a different XP CD (say the one I bought and used on my own
>>> installation)? I don't want to tell him to go out and buy another
>>> copy of XP unless he absolutely has to.
>>>
>>> Many thanks.

>> Belarc Advisor gives what it calls a Software Licence, it has the
>> form (on my OEM HE edition);
>> #####-OEM-#######-##### where '#' is a numerical digit.
>> This is *not* the number/code that would be needed to
>> re-install/re-activate the OS

> Belarc also gives the Product ID which was used to install it
> originally.....

I may have used the wrong terms !
The 'Product Key' that is written on the 'Certificate of Authenticity' (COA)
is a string of 5*5(25) alphanumeric characters of the form ;
?????-?????-?????-?????-?????
This is not shown on my version of 'Belarc Adviser' (I've searched the page
for first three alphanumerics).

Philip SC

> >> Belarc Advisor gives what it calls a Software Licence, it has the
> >> form (on my OEM HE edition);
> >> #####-OEM-#######-##### where '#' is a numerical digit.
> >> This is *not* the number/code that would be needed to
> >> re-install/re-activate the OS

> > Belarc also gives the Product ID which was used to install it
> > originally.....

> I may have used the wrong terms !
> The 'Product Key' that is written on the 'Certificate of Authenticity'

(COA)
> is a string of 5*5(25) alphanumeric characters of the form ;
> ?????-?????-?????-?????-?????
> This is not shown on my version of 'Belarc Adviser' (I've searched the

page
> for first three alphanumerics).

I think the version my colleague installed was a full copy of XP Pro (but
I'm not 100% certain) and mine is and upgrade copy. My concern is that if
even if we manage to extract the product key (and software license if
applicable - I'm being deliberately loose with my terms!) and install using
my copy of XP Pro, when it comes to activation he'll get stuck and more
worryingly, so will my machine.

Patrick

Philip SC wrote:

>>> Belarc also gives the Product ID which was used to install it
>>> originally.....

>> I may have used the wrong terms !
>> The 'Product Key' that is written on the 'Certificate of
>> Authenticity' (COA) is a string of 5*5(25) alphanumeric characters
>> of the form ; ?????-?????-?????-?????-?????
>> This is not shown on my version of 'Belarc Adviser' (I've searched
>> the page for first three alphanumerics).

> I think the version my colleague installed was a full copy of XP Pro
> (but I'm not 100% certain) and mine is and upgrade copy. My concern
> is that if even if we manage to extract the product key (and software
> license if applicable - I'm being deliberately loose with my terms!)
> and install using my copy of XP Pro, when it comes to activation
> he'll get stuck and more worryingly, so will my machine.

The *important* thing is to keep *your* 'Product Key' *secret* (or to
yourself anyway).
Thiere would indeed be hell to pay if you tried to use the same 'Product
Key' (5*5=25 digit code) on two different machines.

If your colleague does have a full retail version then get on to MS (link
given) to get a replacement CD for a nominal price (cost of CD etc.), they
might want proof of purchase or the like.

Apparently though, if colleagues XP-CD is an OEM (Original Equipment
Manufacture) version,
then it may well be that MS won't help.
Would need to get a replacement CD from OEM (or an Image-Copy from someone
else).

Also it would be advisable to recover the 'Product Key' from the corrupt
installation if possible and see that it matches the one he apparently has
(keep all the numbers, but the recoverd 5*5=25 digit is the important one).

Note that if you activate by phone then you would put your ProductKey
the machine would return you a number that you would read to MS,
MS would then give you another number to enter in the machine,
you'd enter it, then be activated, niether of the last two numbers is your
'Product Key' and might well change if you reactivated.

Sorry if this all seems a bit long-winded, but I do hope that it helps.

Peter Ambrose

dear Sir,

Turf ****.