Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP activation query

XP activation query

Ghostrider

Patrick wrote:

<<snipped>>

> I may have used the wrong terms !
> The 'Product Key' that is written on the 'Certificate of Authenticity' (COA)
> is a string of 5*5(25) alphanumeric characters of the form ;
> ?????-?????-?????-?????-?????
> This is not shown on my version of 'Belarc Adviser' (I've searched the page
> for first three alphanumerics).

Download Belarc Advisor 6.0 and install. This version will show the
Product Key.

Patrick

Ghostrider wrote:
> Patrick wrote:
>
> <<snipped>>
>
>> I may have used the wrong terms !
>> The 'Product Key' that is written on the 'Certificate of
>> Authenticity' (COA) is a string of 5*5(25) alphanumeric characters
>> of the form ; ?????-?????-?????-?????-?????
>> This is not shown on my version of 'Belarc Adviser' (I've searched
>> the page for first three alphanumerics).

> Download Belarc Advisor 6.0 and install. This version will show the
> Product Key.

Thanks Ghostrider (and apologies to other bloke that I near-as called a
liar)
Damned if you aren't right (nobody reminded *me* to update)
I might have known the devil would be in the detail.

The link I gave though,
had the advantage of giveing explanation of matters (OEM version etc.,).

Ron Martell

"Philip SC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A colleague has a corrupted installation of XP Pro on his machine, and has
>genuinely lost the original installation CD (pause for snorts of derision).
>
>He got an activation code for his setup a year ago when he first got the
>machine, so does anyone have experience of approaching Microsoft with that
>activation code/product key (I guess Belarc can get that) and a different XP
>CD (say the one I bought and used on my own installation)? I don't want to
>tell him to go out and buy another copy of XP unless he absolutely has to.
>
>Many thanks.

To get the Windows XP Product key see
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tips_fixes.htm

If you have, or can borrow, a CD from the *same version* of Windows XP
then that plus the original product key can be used for the reinstall.

However it may possible to repair the corrupted install of XP without
resorting to a reinstall. The recovery tools in Windows XP are pretty
good.

Can you provide some specific details of this corruption, including
the symptoms that it displays, and also some information about just
what caused it, or what might have caused it. Also how long ago did
this corruption occur and has the computer been at all usable since
then?

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--