Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND!!

OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND!!

hugh jass

Hello All,
I am getting this message "operating system not found" when booting up my
notebook (P2-266). Sometimes when I boot from the win98se CD, I can get
access to the c: drive, but it is dicey.
My questions are...
1/ What can I do? I have tried a scandisk and no bad sectors were found. I
have all the data that I need from the hard disk, but don't know how to
fix/clean it so that I no longer have this problem.
2/ Can I just reformat to clean things and then do a reinstall of win or
linux?
3/ How do I find out if I do indeed have a corrupt hard drive?

thanks very much, hj.

--
______________________

MacG

I've seen this happen with a loose ide cable.

"hugh jass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Yx99b.525$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All,
> I am getting this message "operating system not found" when booting up my
> notebook (P2-266). Sometimes when I boot from the win98se CD, I can get
> access to the c: drive, but it is dicey.
> My questions are...
> 1/ What can I do? I have tried a scandisk and no bad sectors were found.

> have all the data that I need from the hard disk, but don't know how to
> fix/clean it so that I no longer have this problem.
> 2/ Can I just reformat to clean things and then do a reinstall of win or
> linux?
> 3/ How do I find out if I do indeed have a corrupt hard drive?
>
> thanks very much, hj.
>
> --
> ______________________
> please remove the obvious from my email...

°Mike°

You asked this same question on the 10th.
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=9d77821f2c81ffe3

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:33:33 -0400, in
<Yx99b.525$(E-Mail Removed)>
hugh jass scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

BTW, do you own the domain moonman.com? If not, you
should change your email munge.

Query : moonman.com
Addresses = 208.133.128.93

whois -h whois.networksolutions.com moonman.com

Registrant:
Conrad Promotions, LLC (MOONMAN2-DOM)
105 EXECUTIVE DRIVE
SLIDELL, LA 70460
US

Domain Name: MOONMAN.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Polk, Scott (SP2299) http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Quantum Computer Services
105 EXECUTIVE DR
SLIDELL, LA 70460-5222
US
(504)847-1537 fax: (504)649-3406

Record expires on 11-May-2004.
Record created on 09-Sep-2002.
Database last updated on 14-Sep-2003 23:00:36 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.CONRADPROMOTIONS.COM 208.158.96.118
NS2.CONRADPROMOTIONS.COM 208.133.128.103

--
Basic computer maintenance

trout

°Mike° wrote:

> You asked this same question on the 10th.
> http://groups.google.com/groups?th=9d77821f2c81ffe3

He got even more replies to the same question yesterday:
http://tinyurl.com/ndks
--
"the 'similar' results initially omitted by Google."

> On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:33:33 -0400, in
> <Yx99b.525$(E-Mail Removed)>
> hugh jass scrawled:
>
>> Hello All,
>> I am getting this message "operating system not found" when booting
>> up my notebook (P2-266). Sometimes when I boot from the win98se CD,
>> I can get access to the c: drive, but it is dicey.
>> My questions are...
>> 1/ What can I do? I have tried a scandisk and no bad sectors were
>> found. I have all the data that I need from the hard disk, but
>> don't know how to fix/clean it so that I no longer have this problem.
>> 2/ Can I just reformat to clean things and then do a reinstall of
>> win or linux?
>> 3/ How do I find out if I do indeed have a corrupt hard drive?
>>
>> thanks very much, hj.

hugh jass

Yes, I posted this on the 10th and got two replies that didn't help me...
Trying to do this on my own without it costing an arm and a leg. This
machine isn't worth spending a lot on.
Regarding yesterday's post... I came back to look for replies, but couldn't
find my original post or any replies (hence the other post asking why there
seems to be a 12 hour gap).
I am going to check out the links you both provided. Your help is
appreciated.
thnx, hj.

--
______________________
news:bk3kg6$nln6c$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
: °Mike° wrote:
:
: > You asked this same question on the 10th.
: > http://groups.google.com/groups?th=9d77821f2c81ffe3
:
: He got even more replies to the same question yesterday:
: http://tinyurl.com/ndks
: --
: "the 'similar' results initially omitted by Google."
:
:
: > On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:33:33 -0400, in
: > <Yx99b.525$(E-Mail Removed)>
: > hugh jass scrawled:
: >
: >> Hello All,
: >> I am getting this message "operating system not found" when booting
: >> up my notebook (P2-266). Sometimes when I boot from the win98se CD,
: >> I can get access to the c: drive, but it is dicey.
: >> My questions are...
: >> 1/ What can I do? I have tried a scandisk and no bad sectors were
: >> found. I have all the data that I need from the hard disk, but
: >> don't know how to fix/clean it so that I no longer have this problem.
: >> 2/ Can I just reformat to clean things and then do a reinstall of
: >> win or linux?
: >> 3/ How do I find out if I do indeed have a corrupt hard drive?
: >>
: >> thanks very much, hj.
:
:

hugh jass

Thank you to °Mike° and trout for posting the Google links to my previous
post. I got some useful replies there.
hj.
BTW °Mike°, I don't own the domain name 'moonman,' just have a free webmail
from it (it's part of myownemail.com).
--
______________________
news:vDh9b.1678$(E-Mail Removed)...
: ______________________
: "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:bk3kg6$nln6c$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
: : °Mike° wrote:
: :
: : > You asked this same question on the 10th.
: : > http://groups.google.com/groups?th=9d77821f2c81ffe3
: :
: : He got even more replies to the same question yesterday:
: : http://tinyurl.com/ndks
: : --
: : "the 'similar' results initially omitted by Google."
: :
: :
: : > On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:33:33 -0400, in
: : > <Yx99b.525$(E-Mail Removed)>
: : > hugh jass scrawled:
: : >
: : >> Hello All,
: : >> I am getting this message "operating system not found" when booting
: : >> up my notebook (P2-266). Sometimes when I boot from the win98se CD,
: : >> I can get access to the c: drive, but it is dicey.
: : >> My questions are...
: : >> 1/ What can I do? I have tried a scandisk and no bad sectors were
: : >> found. I have all the data that I need from the hard disk, but
: : >> don't know how to fix/clean it so that I no longer have this problem.
: : >> 2/ Can I just reformat to clean things and then do a reinstall of
: : >> win or linux?
: : >> 3/ How do I find out if I do indeed have a corrupt hard drive?
: : >>
: : >> thanks very much, hj.
: :
: :
:
:

°Mike°

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:59:32 -0700, in
<bk3kg6$nln6c$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
trout scrawled:

>°Mike° wrote:
>
>> You asked this same question on the 10th.
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?th=9d77821f2c81ffe3

> He got even more replies to the same question yesterday:
>http://tinyurl.com/ndks

Yeah, I noticed that, too, after I had posted.

--
"Cell packs low."

°Mike°

You're welcome, and thanks for the clarification on moonman.

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:17:45 -0400, in
<G5i9b.2246$(E-Mail Removed)>
hugh jass scrawled:

>Thank you to °Mike° and trout for posting the Google links to my previous
>post. I got some useful replies there.
>hj.
>BTW °Mike°, I don't own the domain name 'moonman,' just have a free webmail
>from it (it's part of myownemail.com).

--
Basic computer maintenance

Barry OGrady

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:33:33 -0400, "hugh jass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello All,
>I am getting this message "operating system not found" when booting up my
>notebook (P2-266). Sometimes when I boot from the win98se CD, I can get
>access to the c: drive, but it is dicey.
>My questions are...
>1/ What can I do? I have tried a scandisk and no bad sectors were found. I
>have all the data that I need from the hard disk, but don't know how to
>fix/clean it so that I no longer have this problem.
>2/ Can I just reformat to clean things and then do a reinstall of win or
>linux?
>3/ How do I find out if I do indeed have a corrupt hard drive?

I was getting a similar problem with a 386 notebook. It would not boot from the
hardrive but could boot from a floppy then see the hard drive.

Turned out to be the hard drive was not set active.

Use fdisk to check.

>thanks very much, hj.
>
>--
>please remove the obvious from my email...

-Barry
========
Voicemail/fax number +14136227640