Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Network

Network

Fogler

Hi guys, can you tell me exactly what I need to network a laptop to my home
PC,
the laptop has a 10/100 network card installed but my home pc doesn't and I
have no cabling !
Also will I be able to access the internet on the laptop via my cable modem
I have installed
on home pc.
Thanks in Advance
Foglerman

Miggsee

How is the cable hooked up to the desktop? USB?
Install a card, buy a cable, and get a router.

"Fogler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xq39b.1453$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys, can you tell me exactly what I need to network a laptop to my

home
> PC,
> the laptop has a 10/100 network card installed but my home pc doesn't and

> have no cabling !
> Also will I be able to access the internet on the laptop via my cable

modem
> I have installed
> on home pc.
> Thanks in Advance
> Foglerman

Fogler

USB connector, what type of router should I get ?

"Miggsee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bk2gsv$obs1n$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> How is the cable hooked up to the desktop? USB?
> Install a card, buy a cable, and get a router.
>
> "Fogler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xq39b.1453$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi guys, can you tell me exactly what I need to network a laptop to my

> home
> > PC,
> > the laptop has a 10/100 network card installed but my home pc doesn't

and
> > have no cabling !
> > Also will I be able to access the internet on the laptop via my cable

> modem
> > I have installed
> > on home pc.
> > Thanks in Advance
> > Foglerman

trotsky

"Fogler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xq39b.1453$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys, can you tell me exactly what I need to network a laptop to my

home
> PC,
> the laptop has a 10/100 network card installed but my home pc doesn't and

> have no cabling !
> Also will I be able to access the internet on the laptop via my cable

modem
> I have installed
> on home pc.
> Thanks in Advance
> Foglerman

Get an ethernet cablemodem, router and hub. Install a network card in the pc
and connect both pc and laptop directly to the hub over utp-cabling.
/ pc
modem -> router -> hub {
\ laptop

or make your pc function as a server for the laptop, for this you will need
to install 2 network cards. Not sure if you can do this with a
USB-modem-router-hub.

modem -> router -> hub -> (incoming NIC)pc(outgoing NIC) -> laptop

LT

Miggsee

I'm satisfied with my Linksys BEFSX41.
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=23&prid=433 or
http://tinyurl.com/nc83 Cnet.com shopping

Also, loads of help here:
www.practicallynetworked.com

"Fogler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4J39b.1636$(E-Mail Removed)...
> USB connector, what type of router should I get ?
>
> "Miggsee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bk2gsv$obs1n$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > How is the cable hooked up to the desktop? USB?
> > Install a card, buy a cable, and get a router.
> >
> > "Fogler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Xq39b.1453$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi guys, can you tell me exactly what I need to network a laptop to my

> > home
> > > PC,
> > > the laptop has a 10/100 network card installed but my home pc doesn't

> and
> > > have no cabling !
> > > Also will I be able to access the internet on the laptop via my cable

> > modem
> > > I have installed
> > > on home pc.
> > > Thanks in Advance
> > > Foglerman

Fogler

Thanks for the info guys

"trotsky" <1@2.3> wrote in message
news:3f64c89f$0$137$(E-Mail Removed)4all. nl...
> "Fogler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xq39b.1453$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi guys, can you tell me exactly what I need to network a laptop to my

> home
> > PC,
> > the laptop has a 10/100 network card installed but my home pc doesn't

and
> > have no cabling !
> > Also will I be able to access the internet on the laptop via my cable

> modem
> > I have installed
> > on home pc.
> > Thanks in Advance
> > Foglerman
> >

> Get an ethernet cablemodem, router and hub. Install a network card in the

pc
> and connect both pc and laptop directly to the hub over utp-cabling.
> / pc
> modem -> router -> hub {
> \ laptop
>
> or make your pc function as a server for the laptop, for this you will

need
> to install 2 network cards. Not sure if you can do this with a
> USB-modem-router-hub.
>
> modem -> router -> hub -> (incoming NIC)pc(outgoing NIC) -> laptop
>
> LT

Miggsee

"trotsky" <1@2.3> wrote in message
news:3f64c89f$0$137$(E-Mail Removed)4all. nl...
> "Fogler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xq39b.1453$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi guys, can you tell me exactly what I need to network a laptop to my

> home
> > PC,
> > the laptop has a 10/100 network card installed but my home pc doesn't

and
> > have no cabling !
> > Also will I be able to access the internet on the laptop via my cable

> modem
> > I have installed
> > on home pc.
> > Thanks in Advance
> > Foglerman
> >

> Get an ethernet cablemodem, router and hub. Install a network card in the

pc
> and connect both pc and laptop directly to the hub over utp-cabling.
> / pc
> modem -> router -> hub {
> \ laptop
>
> or make your pc function as a server for the laptop, for this you will

need
> to install 2 network cards. Not sure if you can do this with a
> USB-modem-router-hub.
>
> modem -> router -> hub -> (incoming NIC)pc(outgoing NIC) -> laptop

The laptop has a card, so he would just need to get a nic card, cat5 or 6
cabling, and a router (depending on what modem he is using). Why do you
suggest a hub? I've got 4 pcs networked without a hub.

trotsky

> The laptop has a card, so he would just need to get a nic card, cat5 or 6
> cabling, and a router (depending on what modem he is using). Why do you
> suggest a hub? I've got 4 pcs networked without a hub.

There are several modems that can function as a DHCP server, yet have only
one utp-out, so you need a hub to get more pc's connected, or take the
server option.

Miggsee

"trotsky" <1@2.3> wrote in message
news:3f64d380$0$133$(E-Mail Removed)4all. nl...
> > The laptop has a card, so he would just need to get a nic card, cat5 or

6
> > cabling, and a router (depending on what modem he is using). Why do you
> > suggest a hub? I've got 4 pcs networked without a hub.
> >

> There are several modems that can function as a DHCP server, yet have only
> one utp-out, so you need a hub to get more pc's connected, or take the
> server option.

Thanks for explaining.