Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > pc wont work!

pc wont work!

Šaz ©.

got an old pc given, packard bell amd-k2 500mhz 7gb hd 64 ram- was told it
wasnt working, so I hooked it up to my monitor and keyboard, boot floppy and
formatted it, that went ok, installed windows ok.restarted it and it didnt
load windows, I got a black screen with cannot write AUX error.
would appreciate any advice, people at PC world had a look before I got it
and said it would cost 200 pounds to repair but neglected to say how. if its
only a hard drive problem then its ok cos I got a spare, but if the board
has had it then I may as well strip it for parts

jeroen

In article <5%V8b.1234$(E-Mail Removed)>,
bitemy@.ss.com says...
> got an old pc given, packard bell amd-k2 500mhz 7gb hd 64 ram- was told it
> wasnt working, so I hooked it up to my monitor and keyboard, boot floppy and
> formatted it, that went ok, installed windows ok.restarted it and it didnt
> load windows, I got a black screen with cannot write AUX error.
> would appreciate any advice, people at PC world had a look before I got it
> and said it would cost 200 pounds to repair but neglected to say how. if its
> only a hard drive problem then its ok cos I got a spare, but if the board
> has had it then I may as well strip it for parts

Right...

Actual useful info here, almost zilch.

Hey Mr. PC repair dude, don't you think stating _which_windows would be
a good idea?
--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Best regards
Jeroen Wijnands

HamMan

people at PC world had a look before I got it
> and said it would cost 200 pounds to repair but neglected to say how. if

its

you trusted the people at PCWorld?

New Athlon Mobo + Processor is less than £100, 40Gb HDD's are less than £50

If you told us which windows and some more details about the error we
*might* be able to help you

Šaz ©.

I didnt trust pc world, the person who gave me the pc did. win 98 se, before
I got the hd formatted it said something along the lines of AUX error, then
the usual ,retry abort message, tried em all and still no joy, when abort
selected the pc just shutdown, sorry I didnt give enough info before
news:bk1ekh$7ht$(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: you trusted the people at PCWorld?
:
: New Athlon Mobo + Processor is less than £100, 40Gb HDD's are less than
£50
:
:
: If you told us which windows and some more details about the error we
: *might* be able to help you
:
:

Tim

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 09:52:07 +0100, "Šaz ©." <bitemy@.ss.com> wrote:

> if its
>only a hard drive problem then its ok cos I got a spare,

Errr... why don't you try your spare hard drive? If the problem goes
away, then it was a hard drive problem.

Patrick

Šaz ©. wrote:
> got an old pc given, packard bell amd-k2 500mhz 7gb hd 64 ram- was
> told it wasnt working, so I hooked it up to my monitor and keyboard,
> boot floppy and formatted it, that went ok, installed windows
> ok.restarted it and it didnt load windows, I got a black screen with
> cannot write AUX error.
> would appreciate any advice, people at PC world had a look before I
> got it and said it would cost 200 pounds to repair but neglected to
> say how. if its only a hard drive problem then its ok cos I got a
> spare, but if the board has had it then I may as well strip it for
> parts

Suggestions;
#1, Find out what make/model the HD is, download manufacturers diagnostics
utility.
#2, Take it apart, put it together again.
#3, Try Scandisk/chkdsk from boot-floppy.
#4, Download a comprehensive boot-floppy utility from Booydisk.com.
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Questions;
#1, Can you read the HD from bootfloppy
#2, Can you tell me what next weeks winning lottery numbers are?