Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > multiple workgroups with win98

Reply
Thread Tools

multiple workgroups with win98

 
 
AlanG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2003

I can't get a new installation to see the rest of the workgroups. It
worked before I formatted the HD and reinstalled the OS now it's not
seeing the other workgroups. Indeed it seems to kill the access of the
workgroup it is assigned to other groups. Can't get it to go to
another workgroup though.

We have 4 workgroups. 2 each in separate office buildings connected by
Dlink900+ bridges. The groups and networks are conncted through hubs
in each office. The net access is through a SMC router in one office
which also acts as the DHCP server. All the PCs are using tcp/ip with
dynamic addressing. Gateway is the router address 192.168.2.1. Can't
get this one machine to work like that anymore. I have to give it a
static address to get it to see it's own workgroup but then it freezes
the rest of the workgroup out of the rest of the network. Pinging the
other machines from it takes an appreciable amount of time so I'm
assuming the reason the dynamic address is not being allocated is due
to the time lag.

The procedure is something I've followed many times before with no
problem. The rogue machine is a pc chips pc100 Lm741 about 4 yrs old.
We have a few of these machines and they are fairly reliable office
workhorses.

I have tried using a different network adaptor but the symptoms
remain. Tried a different cat5 cable but no luck. Tried formatting and
reinstalling everything again This is something I haven't seen
before.

I'm not a comms expert. I'm hired to look after databases. The rest of
the stuff is just added on and normally I can manage.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can try on monday morning?




Alan G
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
jeroen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
>
> I'm not a comms expert. I'm hired to look after databases. The rest of
> the stuff is just added on and normally I can manage.
>

Feel free to exchange emails. I could use a database guy who owes me a
favour, I'm a networking guy myself.
> Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can try on monday morning?
>

I'd say take a good look at the browse master situation in that
workgroup.
This should provide some interesting reading:
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/bm.htm



--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Best regards
Jeroen Wijnands
http://spam.pagina.nl
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
AlanG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2003
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:11:35 +0200, jeroen <(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>>
>> I'm not a comms expert. I'm hired to look after databases. The rest of
>> the stuff is just added on and normally I can manage.
>>

>Feel free to exchange emails. I could use a database guy who owes me a
>favour, I'm a networking guy myself.
>> Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can try on monday morning?
>>

>I'd say take a good look at the browse master situation in that
>workgroup.
>This should provide some interesting reading:
>http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/bm.htm


Thanks.

I knew about the browse master situation. It's mentioned in my windows
98 professional reference. Doesn't tell me that it could take up to 50
minutes to refresh though. That is something new.

I'll check on monday and set the machine used for faxing to browse
master and see if that pulls the connection.

Meanwhile, could the slow response time be the reason the machine
isn't getting its IP address from the router?

--
Alan G
"The corporate life [of society] must be
subservient to the lives of the parts instead
of the lives of the parts being subservient to
the corporate life."
(Herbert Spencer)
 
Reply With Quote
 
jeroen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:11:35 +0200, jeroen <(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> >says...
> >>
> >> I'm not a comms expert. I'm hired to look after databases. The rest of
> >> the stuff is just added on and normally I can manage.
> >>

> >Feel free to exchange emails. I could use a database guy who owes me a
> >favour, I'm a networking guy myself.
> >> Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can try on monday morning?
> >>

> >I'd say take a good look at the browse master situation in that
> >workgroup.
> >This should provide some interesting reading:
> >http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/bm.htm

>
> Thanks.
>
> I knew about the browse master situation. It's mentioned in my windows
> 98 professional reference. Doesn't tell me that it could take up to 50
> minutes to refresh though. That is something new.
>

That's extreme. A workgroup usually sorts it out in 20-30 minutes.
> I'll check on monday and set the machine used for faxing to browse
> master and see if that pulls the connection.
>
> Meanwhile, could the slow response time be the reason the machine
> isn't getting its IP address from the router?
>

Quite unlikely. DHCP discover packets are rather small and quite quick.

What you could also try with this machine is make sure all your
powermanagment settings are set to off. Both in the Bios and in windows.

Also....

You did change the network cable I hope?
--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Best regards
Jeroen Wijnands
http://spam.pagina.nl
 
Reply With Quote
 
AlanG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2003
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:28:24 +0200, jeroen <(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>> On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:11:35 +0200, jeroen <(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> >says...
>> >>
>> >> I'm not a comms expert. I'm hired to look after databases. The rest of
>> >> the stuff is just added on and normally I can manage.
>> >>
>> >Feel free to exchange emails. I could use a database guy who owes me a
>> >favour, I'm a networking guy myself.
>> >> Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can try on monday morning?
>> >>
>> >I'd say take a good look at the browse master situation in that
>> >workgroup.
>> >This should provide some interesting reading:
>> >http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/bm.htm

>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I knew about the browse master situation. It's mentioned in my windows
>> 98 professional reference. Doesn't tell me that it could take up to 50
>> minutes to refresh though. That is something new.
>>

>That's extreme. A workgroup usually sorts it out in 20-30 minutes.


That has been my experience. Usually under 10 mins.

>> I'll check on monday and set the machine used for faxing to browse
>> master and see if that pulls the connection.
>>
>> Meanwhile, could the slow response time be the reason the machine
>> isn't getting its IP address from the router?
>>

>Quite unlikely. DHCP discover packets are rather small and quite quick.


When I use winipcfg all I get is the can't connect error message

I did manage to ping a box on the other side once then it wouldn't do
it twice
>
>What you could also try with this machine is make sure all your
>powermanagment settings are set to off. Both in the Bios and in windows.


Check
I have monitor going off timed but HD on all the time.
>
>Also....
>
>You did change the network cable I hope?


Yes. And network card
Same symptoms.

It's possible it is part of a wider fault since we have had reports of
the wireless link going down a couple of times

I've had a thought overnight and decided to swap the box with one from
another office that doesn't get much use. If that works ok then I'll
know it's the box and not the cabling and/or hub. Could have done this
yesterday but I'm not fit enough to carry a box up and down three
flights of stairs anymore


Alan G
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Missing workgroups =?Utf-8?B?VmlyZ2lsaWp1cw==?= Wireless Networking 3 01-18-2006 01:03 AM
Work with Windows workgroups under Python? Karlo Lozovina Python 3 01-03-2006 10:03 AM
Impersonation between different workgroups is failing =?Utf-8?B?bC10b3VjaGVk?= ASP .Net 0 06-01-2004 06:06 PM
Impersonation between different workgroups is failed =?Utf-8?B?bC10b3VjaGVk?= ASP .Net 0 06-01-2004 12:41 AM
98 Workgroups and XP network neigborhood bagman Computer Support 3 02-05-2004 05:21 PM



Advertisments