Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Slowing up

Slowing up

Janet Sanderson

My computer is grinding to a halt - well seriously slowing up, can
anyone help please?

1.3 GHz P4 with windows XP service pack 1. I have run disk clean up,
and defragmenter, but its still very slow. It all started to happen
after getting the new security patches from microsoft. I have also run
a virus check, and all seems clear.

Thanks
Janet

PJB

"Janet Sanderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My computer is grinding to a halt - well seriously slowing

up, can
> anyone help please?
>
> 1.3 GHz P4 with windows XP service pack 1. I have run disk

clean up,
> and defragmenter, but its still very slow. It all started

to happen
> after getting the new security patches from microsoft. I

have also run
> a virus check, and all seems clear.

think you've already put your finger on the problem Janet,
remove the patch(s) you recently installed, one at a time,
and see if it speeds things up..(Control Panel > Add/Remove
Programs)

P.

Janet Sanderson

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:39:35 +0100, "PJB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>think you've already put your finger on the problem Janet,
>remove the patch(s) you recently installed, one at a time,
>and see if it speeds things up..(Control Panel > Add/Remove
>Programs)
>
>P.

Will that not leave me vulnerable to all these nasties going round?
Janet

°Mike°

Basic computer maintenance

Control your startups:
----------------------
StartupList
http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

Startup Monitor
http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

Startup Control Panel
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Check what's necessary and what isn't
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...tartup_all.php

Also, go back and install ALL of MS updates; there was an issue
with one that slowed XP down. That has been superceded,
and fixed now.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:16:48 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Janet Sanderson scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Meat-->Plow

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:41:39 +0100, ?Mike? <(E-Mail Removed)>,wrote:

>Basic computer maintenance
>http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
>
>Control your startups:
>----------------------
>StartupList
>http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/
>
>Startup Monitor
>http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
>
>Startup Control Panel
>http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
>
>Check what's necessary and what isn't
>http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...tartup_all.php
>http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html
>http://www.greatis.com/regrun3appdatabase.htm
>

>Also, go back and install ALL of MS updates; there was an issue
>with one that slowed XP down. That has been superceded,
>and fixed now.
>

>On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:16:48 +0100, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Janet Sanderson scrawled:
>
>>My computer is grinding to a halt - well seriously slowing up, can
>>anyone help please?
>>
>>1.3 GHz P4 with windows XP service pack 1. I have run disk clean up,
>>and defragmenter, but its still very slow. It all started to happen
>>after getting the new security patches from microsoft. I have also run
>>a virus check, and all seems clear.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Janet

Janet, I had the same problem and Mike said to replace my CMOS battery.

°Mike°

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:22:42 -0400, in
<bjt6g4$fci$(E-Mail Removed)>
Meat-->Plow scrawled:

>On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:41:39 +0100, ?Mike? <(E-Mail Removed)>,wrote:
>
>>Basic computer maintenance
>>http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
>>
>>Control your startups:
>>----------------------
>>StartupList
>>http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/
>>
>>Startup Monitor
>>http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
>>
>>Startup Control Panel
>>http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
>>
>>Check what's necessary and what isn't
>>http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...tartup_all.php
>>http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html
>>http://www.greatis.com/regrun3appdatabase.htm
>>

>>Also, go back and install ALL of MS updates; there was an issue
>>with one that slowed XP down. That has been superceded,
>>and fixed now.
>>

>>On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:16:48 +0100, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Janet Sanderson scrawled:
>>
>>>My computer is grinding to a halt - well seriously slowing up, can
>>>anyone help please?
>>>
>>>1.3 GHz P4 with windows XP service pack 1. I have run disk clean up,
>>>and defragmenter, but its still very slow. It all started to happen
>>>after getting the new security patches from microsoft. I have also run
>>>a virus check, and all seems clear.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Janet

>Janet, I had the same problem and Mike said to replace my CMOS battery.

Oh, lookee! MeatHead can't even peddle his lies to the correct person.

--
"How about trying to be just a *little* bit smarter?"

trout

°Mike° wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:22:42 -0400, in
> <bjt6g4$fci$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Meat-->Plow scrawled:

<snip>

>> Janet, I had the same problem and Mike said to replace my CMOS
>> battery.

> Oh, lookee! MeatHead can't even peddle his lies to the correct
> person.

(He's killfiled, here.) I'm just amazed that Plowboy is still
beeping the same noise at you. I guess he's plowed himself into a rut he
can't find his way out of.
--
"Is there a prize this year for Most Ineffectual Troll?"

°Mike°

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 19:52:32 -0700, in
<bju0pn$n8s9t$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
trout scrawled:

>°Mike° wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:22:42 -0400, in
>> <bjt6g4$fci$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Meat-->Plow scrawled:

><snip>
>
>>> Janet, I had the same problem and Mike said to replace my CMOS
>>> battery.

>> Oh, lookee! MeatHead can't even peddle his lies to the correct
>> person.

> (He's killfiled, here.) I'm just amazed that Plowboy is still
>beeping the same noise at you. I guess he's plowed himself into a rut he
>can't find his way out of.

Well, morons do tend to repeat the same drivel over and over, don't they?

--
"MeatHead - the troll that never was."

Janet Sanderson

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:20:38 +0100, °Mike°
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well, morons do tend to repeat the same drivel over and over, don't they?

Thanks Mike, I did post a reply thismorning, but not sure where it
went - probably e mail by mistake sorry.
All very usefull advise, of course I did not change my battery, and
just don't understand why people have to do these things, just so glad
I am a positive person and not a negative one.
thanks all again
Janet

°Mike°

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:12:33 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Janet Sanderson scrawled:

>On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:20:38 +0100, °Mike°
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Well, morons do tend to repeat the same drivel over and over, don't they?

>Thanks Mike, I did post a reply thismorning, but not sure where it
>went - probably e mail by mistake sorry.
>All very usefull advise, of course I did not change my battery, and
>just don't understand why people have to do these things, just so glad
>I am a positive person and not a negative one.
>thanks all again
>Janet

You're welcome.

I'm glad you saw through Meat-->Plow's lying drivel.

--
Basic computer maintenance