Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Playing MP3 Files on DVD Player

Playing MP3 Files on DVD Player

rfdjr1@optonline.net

I'm researching buying a combination DVD/VCR player and want one that
will also play audio CD's and mp3 files. I've narrowed the search down,
but in looking into them, I have a concern about the mp3 filenames. One
of the online manuals mentions iso9660 file names. From what I can
understand of the technical gobbledygook, this is a filename with only
eight characters and a three character extension, so basically the old
filename standards. All my mp3 files are long names, the name of the
tune. Does this mean that the DVD/VCR player won't be able to play them,
or won't show the title on the display? I realize I can rename the ones
I'll burn to CD, but then I don't know which tune is which without a
printed directory. I'd appreciate any information from someone who has
experience in this. Thanks much.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm researching buying a combination DVD/VCR player and want one that
> will also play audio CD's and mp3 files. I've narrowed the search down,
> but in looking into them, I have a concern about the mp3 filenames. One
> of the online manuals mentions iso9660 file names. From what I can
> understand of the technical gobbledygook, this is a filename with only
> eight characters and a three character extension, so basically the old
> filename standards. All my mp3 files are long names, the name of the
> tune. Does this mean that the DVD/VCR player won't be able to play them,
> or won't show the title on the display? I realize I can rename the ones
> I'll burn to CD, but then I don't know which tune is which without a
> printed directory. I'd appreciate any information from someone who has
> experience in this. Thanks much.

My JVC displays the short name, but plays them fine.

RwP

rfdjr1@optonline.net

Thanks. But what do you mean by "the short name", the eight character
filename? JVC is one I'm looking, as well as an RCA, Philips and
Panasonic.

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I'm researching buying a combination DVD/VCR player and want one that
>> will also play audio CD's and mp3 files. I've narrowed the search down,
>> but in looking into them, I have a concern about the mp3 filenames. One
>> of the online manuals mentions iso9660 file names. From what I can
>> understand of the technical gobbledygook, this is a filename with only
>> eight characters and a three character extension, so basically the old
>> filename standards. All my mp3 files are long names, the name of the
>> tune. Does this mean that the DVD/VCR player won't be able to play them,
>> or won't show the title on the display? I realize I can rename the ones
>> I'll burn to CD, but then I don't know which tune is which without a
>> printed directory. I'd appreciate any information from someone who has
>> experience in this. Thanks much.

> My JVC displays the short name, but plays them fine.
>
> RwP

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks. But what do you mean by "the short name", the eight character
> filename? JVC is one I'm looking, as well as an RCA, Philips and
> Panasonic.

Yes, the 8.3 name.

Best bet is to take a MP3 CD in, and play them at the store you're
going to buy from.

That way, you'll know exactly how that model works.

RwP

rfdjr1@optonline.net

Good point about bringing in a CD with mp3 files on it and try. Thanks.