Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > annoying

annoying

whiteMemphis

Hi all, bit hard to explain, but here goes- After installing software
for digital camera, some sort of player installed itself too, although it
was not mentioned anywhere on the CD-Rom, and it's attached its own icons to
all
my image & mp3 files that I never asked for. I could just go to add/remove
programs & delete it but I'm worried I'd lose all the abovementioned files.
It's something called QuickTime player. What does the group think? if it's
good, should I just let it take over & use it from now on, or get rid of it
(if possible). I would be very glad of any advice, thankyou.
Sorry if this is OT for this group, but I couldn't find a dig. cam. ng.

trout

whiteMemphis wrote:

> Hi all, bit hard to explain, but here goes- After installing software
> for digital camera, some sort of player installed itself too,
> although it was not mentioned anywhere on the CD-Rom, and it's
> attached its own icons to all
> my image & mp3 files that I never asked for. I could just go to
> add/remove programs & delete it but I'm worried I'd lose all the
> abovementioned files. It's something called QuickTime player. What
> does the group think? if it's good, should I just let it take over &
> use it from now on, or get rid of it (if possible). I would be very
> glad of any advice, thankyou.
> Sorry if this is OT for this group, but I couldn't find a dig. cam.
> ng.

You may want to keep QuickTime. You could possibly need it for
*some* files. But deleting it wouldn't mean losing files you already
had, that got re-associated with it.
Change the associations to the program of your choice in Windows
Explorer. View > Folder Options > File types.
--
"Don't you hate when that happens?"

°Mike°

There should be an option in Add\Remove Programs for
QuickTime, if you're sure your camera software doesn't
need it. You will not lose any other files.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:57:12 +1000, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
whiteMemphis scrawled:

>Hi all, bit hard to explain, but here goes- After installing software
>for digital camera, some sort of player installed itself too, although it
>was not mentioned anywhere on the CD-Rom, and it's attached its own icons to
>all
>my image & mp3 files that I never asked for. I could just go to add/remove
>programs & delete it but I'm worried I'd lose all the abovementioned files.
>It's something called QuickTime player. What does the group think? if it's
>good, should I just let it take over & use it from now on, or get rid of it
>(if possible). I would be very glad of any advice, thankyou.
>Sorry if this is OT for this group, but I couldn't find a dig. cam. ng.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Boomer

whiteMemphis said:

> Hi all, bit hard to explain, but here goes- After installing
> software for digital camera, some sort of player installed
> itself too, although it was not mentioned anywhere on the
> CD-Rom, and it's attached its own icons to all
> my image & mp3 files that I never asked for. I could just go to
> add/remove programs & delete it but I'm worried I'd lose all the
> abovementioned files. It's something called QuickTime player.
> What does the group think? if it's good, should I just let it
> take over & use it from now on, or get rid of it (if possible).
> I would be very glad of any advice, thankyou. Sorry if this is
> OT for this group, but I couldn't find a dig. cam. ng.

Here's a newsgroup if you ever need it.

rec.photo.digital

mdp

An alternate way to reassociate your picture files without going through Windows Explorer View > Folder Options > File types:

Left click once on one of the pictures to highlight it, then hold the shift key down and right click and hold. Select "Open With".
You'll get a list of applications to choose from. Make sure you check the box that says something like "Always use this program to
open this type of file". Then select the application you prefer to use for that file type. If you don't see it in the list,
there's a Browse button to enable you to locate your preferred application.

--
Please de-spam my address if replying to me
"whiteMemphis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all, bit hard to explain, but here goes- After installing software
> for digital camera, some sort of player installed itself too, although it
> was not mentioned anywhere on the CD-Rom, and it's attached its own icons to
> all
> my image & mp3 files that I never asked for. I could just go to add/remove
> programs & delete it but I'm worried I'd lose all the abovementioned files.
> It's something called QuickTime player. What does the group think? if it's
> good, should I just let it take over & use it from now on, or get rid of it
> (if possible). I would be very glad of any advice, thankyou.
> Sorry if this is OT for this group, but I couldn't find a dig. cam. ng.

-= Hawk =-

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:57:12 +1000, "whiteMemphis"
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>Hi all, bit hard to explain, but here goes- After installing software
>for digital camera, some sort of player installed itself too, although it
>was not mentioned anywhere on the CD-Rom, and it's attached its own icons to
>all
>my image & mp3 files that I never asked for. I could just go to add/remove
>programs & delete it but I'm worried I'd lose all the abovementioned files.

How would removing QuickTime delete your MP3s and images?

>It's something called QuickTime player. What does the group think? if it's
>good, should I just let it take over & use it from now on, or get rid of it
>(if possible). I would be very glad of any advice, thankyou.

Didn't you ask this same question a month ago?

>Sorry if this is OT for this group, but I couldn't find a dig. cam. ng.

You couldn't?

--

Exxy is my hero!

Annoying URL behaviour in Firefox 1.0 WordUP Firefox 4 01-23-2005 09:33 PM
annoying SP2 wireless problem =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?= Wireless Networking 1 08-16-2004 10:16 PM
Annoying Bug Repo Man Firefox 7 09-25-2003 10:55 PM
seriously ANNOYING problems with Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1 Astromannix Firefox 1 08-13-2003 09:03 AM
Annoying Mail message box Steve Firefox 2 08-05-2003 05:53 PM

Advertisments