Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problem with home page

Problem with home page

Tricia

Hi - I am a first time visitor to your newsgroup. I need some help, please.
I have had my home page set so that when I log on to the internet, it opens
to the Google website. However, a couple of days ago, without changing my
settings, my home page changed to this website: object.passthison.com. I
have no idea why this happened, but I immediately changed my home page back
to google.com Since that time, something is causing my settings to
consistently change my home page to the object.passthison.com web site.
Each time I change it back. Any ideas why this is happening? I don't even
know what kind of web site this is because I immediately "X" out of it & all
the ads that accompany it when it opens. Is there any way to block this web
page from opening on my computer? Any help you can provide would be greatly
appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help.
Tricia

Kraftee

Tricia wrote:
> Hi - I am a first time visitor to your newsgroup. I need some
> help, please. I have had my home page set so that when I log on to
> the internet, it opens to the Google website. However, a couple of
> days ago, without changing my settings, my home page changed to
> this website: object.passthison.com. I have no idea why this
> happened, but I immediately changed my home page back to google.com
> Since that time, something is causing my settings to consistently
> change my home page to the object.passthison.com web site. Each
> time I change it back. Any ideas why this is happening? I don't
> even know what kind of web site this is because I immediately "X"
> out of it & all the ads that accompany it when it opens. Is there
> any way to block this web page from opening on my computer? Any
> help you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in
> advance for your help.
> Tricia

You appear to have downloaded a little apps onto your machine, suggest
you go to..

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

& download the latest version of their program Ad-aware, install that
& then update it, then run it.

It willmost probably find a few things it is not happy about & it
normally is ok to get rid of them all.

That should sort out your problem (be a little bit more careful on
what you are clicking on next time)..

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Boomer

Tricia said:

> Hi - I am a first time visitor to your newsgroup. I need some
> help, please. I have had my home page set so that when I log on
> to the internet, it opens to the Google website. However, a
> couple of days ago, without changing my settings, my home page
> changed to this website: object.passthison.com. I have no idea
> why this happened, but I immediately changed my home page back
> to google.com Since that time, something is causing my settings
> to consistently change my home page to the object.passthison.com
> web site. Each time I change it back. Any ideas why this is
> happening? I don't even know what kind of web site this is
> because I immediately "X" out of it & all the ads that accompany
> it when it opens. Is there any way to block this web page from
> opening on my computer? Any help you can provide would be
> greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help.
> Tricia

Hi

You might want to serch for "homepage hijacking"

Install, at least, the first three.
Check for updates weekly and use often.

Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans, hijackers and
security/privacy issues.
http://security.kolla.de/

Spyware Blaster

http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

Info on above and more.

~ Spyware Information ~
http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

--Unsolicited commercial software list and info--
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

--Other software--
http://www.wilders.org/

Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware

Boomer

Boomer said:

> Tricia said:
>
>> Hi - I am a first time visitor to your newsgroup. I need some
>> help, please. I have had my home page set so that when I log on
>> to the internet, it opens to the Google website. However, a
>> couple of days ago, without changing my settings, my home page
>> changed to this website: object.passthison.com.

[snip]
>> Tricia

> Hi
>
> You might want to serch for "homepage hijacking"

^ ^ ^ search
[snip]

Tricia

news:3f60ecbd$0$51635$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> Tricia said:
>
> > Hi - I am a first time visitor to your newsgroup. I need some
> > help, please. I have had my home page set so that when I log on
> > to the internet, it opens to the Google website. However, a
> > couple of days ago, without changing my settings, my home page
> > changed to this website: object.passthison.com. I have no idea
> > why this happened, but I immediately changed my home page back
> > to google.com Since that time, something is causing my settings
> > to consistently change my home page to the object.passthison.com
> > web site. Each time I change it back. Any ideas why this is
> > happening? I don't even know what kind of web site this is
> > because I immediately "X" out of it & all the ads that accompany
> > it when it opens. Is there any way to block this web page from
> > opening on my computer? Any help you can provide would be
> > greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help.
> > Tricia

> Hi
>
> You might want to serch for "homepage hijacking"
>
> Install, at least, the first three.
> Check for updates weekly and use often.
>
> Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>
> SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans, hijackers and
> security/privacy issues.
> http://security.kolla.de/
>
> Spyware Blaster
>
> A-spy For trojans hiding in startup entries.
> http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html
>
> Info on above and more.
> http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/spyware.htm
>
> ~ Spyware Information ~
> http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm
>
> --Unsolicited commercial software list and info--
> http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/
>
> --Other software--
> http://www.wilders.org/
>
> Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware

This information was very helpful. I've downloaded the first and will be
sure to check out the others tomorrow. Since the download....no problems
yet! Thank you very much!
Tricia

Tricia

"Kraftee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kZ58b.659$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tricia wrote:
> > Hi - I am a first time visitor to your newsgroup. I need some
> > help, please. I have had my home page set so that when I log on to
> > the internet, it opens to the Google website. However, a couple of
> > days ago, without changing my settings, my home page changed to
> > this website: object.passthison.com. I have no idea why this
> > happened, but I immediately changed my home page back to google.com
> > Since that time, something is causing my settings to consistently
> > change my home page to the object.passthison.com web site. Each
> > time I change it back. Any ideas why this is happening? I don't
> > even know what kind of web site this is because I immediately "X"
> > out of it & all the ads that accompany it when it opens. Is there
> > any way to block this web page from opening on my computer? Any
> > help you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in
> > advance for your help.
> > Tricia

> You appear to have downloaded a little apps onto your machine, suggest
> you go to..
>
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
>
> & download the latest version of their program Ad-aware, install that
> & then update it, then run it.
>
> It willmost probably find a few things it is not happy about & it
> normally is ok to get rid of them all.
>
> That should sort out your problem (be a little bit more careful on
> what you are clicking on next time)..
>
> --
> B-)
> Life is pain.....
> Deal with it!!

Thanks for your quick response. I did what you said and it seems to have
fixed the problem! I really appreciate your help.
Tricia

Boomer

Tricia said:

> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Tricia said:
>>
>> > Hi - I am a first time visitor to your newsgroup. I need
>> > some help, please. I have had my home page set so that when I
>> > log on to the internet, it opens to the Google website.
>> > However, a couple of days ago, without changing my settings,
>> > my home page changed to this website: object.passthison.com.
>> > I have no idea why this happened, [snip]

>> Hi
>>
>> You might want to serch for "homepage hijacking"
>>
>> Install, at least, the first three.
>> Check for updates weekly and use often.
>>
>> Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>>
>> SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans, hijackers and
>> security/privacy issues.
>> http://security.kolla.de/
>>
>> Spyware Blaster
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html

[snip]
>> Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware

> This information was very helpful. I've downloaded the first
> and will be sure to check out the others tomorrow. Since the
> download....no problems yet! Thank you very much!
> Tricia

You're welcome.