Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > COM Ports Question

COM Ports Question

Robert11

Hello:

Have a two year old Dell Dimension running W98.

Very confused over COM ports.

I am trying via an RTS232 serial cable to get my PC (using a radio control
software package) to talk to
a new radio I have.

Have always thought I was connected to what's called COM 1

Anyway, I get an error message that says COM Port is in use by another
application.

Could it be my dial-up internet connection that is using it ?

a. How many COM ports "might" I have ?

b. How do I check what might be using which ?

c. Can I just tell it (the RS232 connection to radio) to use COM 2, eg. ?

if so, how ?

Might I ask if someone has a few spare minutes to also describe generally
for me, a bit, about these COM Ports; how used, setup, etc.
Am a true beginner with this.

Thanks,
Bob

why?

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:34:06 GMT, Robert11 wrote:

>Hello:
>
>Have a two year old Dell Dimension running W98.
>
>Very confused over COM ports.
>
>I am trying via an RTS232 serial cable to get my PC (using a radio control

RS232, without the 'T'. There are serial cables and serial cables, then
there is the nonstandard serial cables and the different standard ones.

>software package) to talk to
>a new radio I have.
>
>Have always thought I was connected to what's called COM 1

That's the right name, there is also COM2 (like COM1, a physical port)
then modems etc can use / create others like virtual COM 3,4,5. COM 3/4
can also be a plug in card. However there are not enough resources
interrupts (IRQ) or ports so COM1/3 and 2/4 share some common settings
and can cause problems.

>Anyway, I get an error message that says COM Port is in use by another
>application.
>
>Could it be my dial-up internet connection that is using it ?

Well it could, except it's not normal practice to connect a modem and
something else to the same port.

You didn't say if the modem is connected via a serial cable or simply a
phone cable into a card in an expansion slot.

>a. How many COM ports "might" I have ?

2 physical COM1 / 2, quite often only 1 physical port. Then virtual ones
if your modem is built into the PC.

>b. How do I check what might be using which ?

Look at the back of the PC? The COM ports are usually labelled COM1 / 2
oddly enough or even A / B. Check which cables go where.

>c. Can I just tell it (the RS232 connection to radio) to use COM 2, eg. ?

Usually, but you didn't mention either the radio type or name of the
software. Neither did you mention which of the many models of DELL
Dimension it was either.

> if so, how ?
>
>Might I ask if someone has a few spare minutes to also describe generally
>for me, a bit, about these COM Ports; how used, setup, etc.

It's simpler to give you links to tutorials, saves a lot more typing,
from www.google.com

http://www.arcelect.com/rs232.htm
http://www.computerhope.com/help/serial.htm
http://www.lvr.com/serport.htm

http://www.hosenose.com/radio/suppor...t_problems.htm
LOGic shows only a few ports in its dropdown COM port menus. I thought
it supported any COM port.

Me

°Mike°

Use a different COM port for your project.

General info on COM ports
http://www.firmware.com/support/bios/comports.htm

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:34:06 GMT, in
<2ZZ7b.490$%(E-Mail Removed) >