Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Explorer Annoyance

Windows Explorer Annoyance

Richard Owlett

Whenever I am online, if I try to search a directory "Windows
Explorer" attempts to access the web [ as reported by Zonealarm ].

How do I prevent this.
I have NO local network running.

As far as I'm concerned, NOTHING but my browser and/or email program
should be accessing the web.

Brian H供

Richard Owlett said:

> Whenever I am online, if I try to search a directory "Windows
> Explorer" attempts to access the web [ as reported by Zonealarm ].
>
> How do I prevent this.
> I have NO local network running.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, NOTHING but my browser and/or email program
> should be accessing the web.

Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer.

Richard Owlett

Brian H供 wrote:
> Richard Owlett said:
>

>>Whenever I am online, if I try to search a directory "Windows
>>Explorer" attempts to access the web [ as reported by Zonealarm ].
>>
>>How do I prevent this.
>>I have NO local network running.
>>
>>As far as I'm concerned, NOTHING but my browser and/or email program
>>should be accessing the web.

> Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer.

Ok, that says why the the problem exists. NOT how to solve it!
I'm typically searching for a specific or partial filename.
If the query went to web, there would be so many hits that it would be
a worlwide DOS attack.

Even Bill'$ software can't be that broken, can it ?

Brian H供

Richard Owlett said:

> Brian H供 wrote:
>> Richard Owlett said:
>>

>>> Whenever I am online, if I try to search a directory "Windows
>>> Explorer" attempts to access the web [ as reported by Zonealarm ].
>>>
>>> How do I prevent this.
>>> I have NO local network running.
>>>
>>> As far as I'm concerned, NOTHING but my browser and/or email program
>>> should be accessing the web.

>> Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer.
>>

> Ok, that says why the the problem exists. NOT how to solve it!

What problem?

Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer as the steering wheel is part of
your car.

Brian H供 said:

> Richard Owlett said:
>
>> Brian H供 wrote:

>>> Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer.
>>>

>> Ok, that says why the the problem exists. NOT how to solve it!

> What problem?
>
> Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer as the steering wheel is part of
> your car.
>
>> I'm typically searching for a specific or partial filename.
>> If the query went to web, there would be so many hits that it would be
>> a worlwide DOS attack.
>>
>> Even Bill'$ software can't be that broken, can it ?

Oh, you are searching on your hard drive.
Delete the rule for Windows Explorer in Zone Alarm, if it attempts to reconnect
to the web, deny it.
Make sure you don't set a rule for server access.

Richard Owlett

Brian H供 wrote:
> Brian H供 said:
>

>>Richard Owlett said:

>>>Ok, that says why the the problem exists. NOT how to solve it!

>>What problem?
>>
>>Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer as the steering wheel is part of
>>your car.
>>

>>>I'm typically searching for a specific or partial filename.
>>>If the query went to web, there would be so many hits that it would be
>>>a worlwide DOS attack.
>>>
>>>Even Bill'$ software can't be that broken, can it ?

> Oh, you are searching on your hard drive.
> Delete the rule for Windows Explorer in Zone Alarm, if it attempts to reconnect
> to the web, deny it.
> Make sure you don't set a rule for server access.

In other words Windows Explorer is fatally broken.
I am after all telling it to search a specific drive and usually a
specific subdirectory.

Brian H供

Richard Owlett said:

> Brian H供 wrote:
>> Brian H供 said:

>>> What problem?
>>>
>>> Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer as the steering wheel is part
>>> of your car.

>> Oh, you are searching on your hard drive.
>> Delete the rule for Windows Explorer in Zone Alarm, if it attempts to
>> reconnect to the web, deny it.
>> Make sure you don't set a rule for server access.
>>

> In other words Windows Explorer is fatally broken.
> I am after all telling it to search a specific drive and usually a
> specific subdirectory.

No it's not fatally broken, you have probably allowed it to access the web
through ZA at some time, and possibly gave it server access too, as you don't
say what rules and conditions are set in ZA it's hard to second guess.

癕ike

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:24:22 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Richard Owlett scrawled:

>Brian H供 wrote:
>> Richard Owlett said:
>>

>>>Whenever I am online, if I try to search a directory "Windows
>>>Explorer" attempts to access the web [ as reported by Zonealarm ].
>>>
>>>How do I prevent this.
>>>I have NO local network running.
>>>
>>>As far as I'm concerned, NOTHING but my browser and/or email program
>>>should be accessing the web.

>> Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer.
>>

>Ok, that says why the the problem exists. NOT how to solve it!
>I'm typically searching for a specific or partial filename.
>If the query went to web, there would be so many hits that it would be
>a worlwide DOS attack.
>
>Even Bill'$ software can't be that broken, can it ?

Deny Windows Explorer in your firewall rules, and don't
search your drive from the address bar. Use Find Files.

--
Basic computer maintenance

pcbutts1

It's not broken it's called User Error.

"Richard Owlett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Brian H供 wrote:
> > Brian H供 said:

> >>What problem?
> >>
> >>Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer as the steering wheel is

part of
> >>your car.

> > Oh, you are searching on your hard drive.
> > Delete the rule for Windows Explorer in Zone Alarm, if it attempts to

reconnect
> > to the web, deny it.
> > Make sure you don't set a rule for server access.
> >

> In other words Windows Explorer is fatally broken.
> I am after all telling it to search a specific drive and usually a
> specific subdirectory.

Bay0Wulf

To me it seems that you are not limiting where your search is going ... for
instance when I look for something I select "search for files & folders" and
then select "my computer" or a particular hard drive or folder where I
believe the file resides.

I do have an option that allows me to search the internet in the listing but
I have never actually tried to do that.

Good Luck