Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > should I upgrade this system to win2k??

should I upgrade this system to win2k??

hugh jass

I read somewhere that atleast 64Mb is recommended for a machine to run
win2k.
I have inherited an AMD-K6 3D processor with 56 Mb RAM. Is it a bad idea to
install win2k? I have just put win98 on it and can't believe that i am
reaching that far back to an OS that I never really liked!
Also, I will be putting this on a shared internet network with a winXP
machine
and I anticipate problems with trying to connect the win98 machine.
Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks, hj

--
______________________
"peace - it's worth killing for"

why?

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:27:56 -0400, hugh jass wrote:

>I read somewhere that atleast 64Mb is recommended for a machine to run
>win2k.
>I have inherited an AMD-K6 3D processor with 56 Mb RAM. Is it a bad idea to
>install win2k? I have just put win98 on it and can't believe that i am

<snip>

No answers to your earlier post? It was only 9h55m ago, then again are
you still planning on keeping Win98 as per the 9h45m ago post?

Would not use any NT type OS with less than 192MB (since I have some old
P133's that's the max otherwise prefer 256MB).

Me

OLT

It will run alright.
I installed Windows 2000 Pro on a system with P 120 and only 48MB ram,
ran perfectly.
Also installed it on a system with a 200MHz processor and 48MB ram. It
too works great.

hugh jass wrote:
> I read somewhere that atleast 64Mb is recommended for a machine to run
> win2k.
> I have inherited an AMD-K6 3D processor with 56 Mb RAM. Is it a bad idea to
> install win2k? I have just put win98 on it and can't believe that i am
> reaching that far back to an OS that I never really liked!
> Also, I will be putting this on a shared internet network with a winXP
> machine
> and I anticipate problems with trying to connect the win98 machine.
> Any advice would be appreciated.
> thanks, hj

Morg

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I read somewhere that atleast 64Mb is recommended for a machine to run
>win2k.
>I have inherited an AMD-K6 3D processor with 56 Mb RAM. Is it a bad idea to
>install win2k? I have just put win98 on it and can't believe that i am
>reaching that far back to an OS that I never really liked!
>Also, I will be putting this on a shared internet network with a winXP
>machine
>and I anticipate problems with trying to connect the win98 machine.
>Any advice would be appreciated.
>thanks, hj

will run ok just dont push it too far!

why cant you just stick a 128MB DIMM in there, it is so cheap

Ron Martell

"hugh jass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I read somewhere that atleast 64Mb is recommended for a machine to run
>win2k.
>I have inherited an AMD-K6 3D processor with 56 Mb RAM. Is it a bad idea to
>install win2k? I have just put win98 on it and can't believe that i am
>reaching that far back to an OS that I never really liked!
>Also, I will be putting this on a shared internet network with a winXP
>machine
>and I anticipate problems with trying to connect the win98 machine.
>Any advice would be appreciated.
>thanks, hj

Should be no problems networking Windows 98 with Windows XP. See the
web page Add Windows 98 or Me to installed XP:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

Windows 2000 with 64 mb of RAM sounds a bit marginal to me, depending
on what types of application programs you are going to run on that
machine.

If it is for games or multimedia type applications then I suspect that
Windows 98 will be a better choice than Windows 2000, as these items
were not given high priorities in the design or testing of Windows
2000.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

PhilGreg

"hugh jass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Jts7b.2874$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I read somewhere that atleast 64Mb is recommended for a machine to

run
> win2k.
> I have inherited an AMD-K6 3D processor with 56 Mb RAM. Is it a bad

idea to
> install win2k? I have just put win98 on it and can't believe that i

am
> reaching that far back to an OS that I never really liked!
> Also, I will be putting this on a shared internet network with a

winXP
> machine
> and I anticipate problems with trying to connect the win98 machine.
> Any advice would be appreciated.
> thanks, hj

==> It'll work but don't expect blazing performance. If you're going
to use it in a network setup why not put Linux on it, install a
firewall and use it for you network's server? Once up and running it
won't even need a monitor.

--
Phil

\\\///
( o o )
--------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

hugh jass

Yeah, that's what I'll probably do... Just wanted to know if it was worth
the effort with this processor too.
thnx, hj

--
______________________
"peace - it's worth killing for"
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: >I read somewhere that atleast 64Mb is recommended for a machine to run
: >win2k.
: >I have inherited an AMD-K6 3D processor with 56 Mb RAM. Is it a bad idea
: >install win2k? I have just put win98 on it and can't believe that i am
: >reaching that far back to an OS that I never really liked!
: >Also, I will be putting this on a shared internet network with a winXP
: >machine
: >and I anticipate problems with trying to connect the win98 machine.
: >Any advice would be appreciated.
: >thanks, hj
:
: will run ok just dont push it too far!
:
: why cant you just stick a 128MB DIMM in there, it is so cheap

hugh jass

Interesting idea. Though I don't have any network experience, I am thinking
of attempting something like that.
I also have an old notebook (P2-266Mhz) which is a candidate. One of these
machines needs to be my wife's own work machine. Would it be a bad idea to
use the notebook as a server? Probably get overheated!?
thnx, hj
--
______________________
"peace - it's worth killing for"
"PhilGreg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
[...]
: --
: Phil
:
: \\\///
: ( o o )
: --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------
: (E-Mail Removed)
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

hugh jass

Hmmm... Is this the link you meant to post? It seems like info. on
installing win98 to the same machine where XP is installed.
What I am trying to do is network two separate machines, one that is running
winXP and the other win98.
hj
--
______________________
"peace - it's worth killing for"
"Ron Martell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]
: "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

PhilGreg

"hugh jass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fsE7b.3071$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Interesting idea. Though I don't have any network experience, I am

thinking
> of attempting something like that.
> I also have an old notebook (P2-266Mhz) which is a candidate. One

of these
> machines needs to be my wife's own work machine. Would it be a bad

idea to
> use the notebook as a server? Probably get overheated!?
> thnx, hj

==> I'm not sure if I'd use a notebook as a server. Even assuming an
electric plug in there would still be a prob w/overheating, I think.

--
Phil

\\\///
( o o )