Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Doing my Head in Now - Internet Optimizer

Doing my Head in Now - Internet Optimizer

Steve 'Wacko'

Hell o all,

This is a follow on to a previous post concerning the Internet Optimizer
parasite.............

I have installed Ad Ware and checked the system, the scan detected Internet
optimizer and placed it in Quarentine. I then scanned using AVG but still
found I had 7 viruses in the _ReSTORE folder..................all off these
are the Dyfuca parasite.

I checked the doxdesk website that was recommended and used their detection
service, before I installed Ad Ware they detected the IO
parasite............after I had run Ad Ware the detector dosnt find
anything.................

I have tried following the instructions on doxdesk site to clear Internet
Optimizer but cannot find any sight of it......

To summerise

AVG finds 7 infected files of DyFuca trojan/worm in the RESTORE files but
wont let me delete or put them in the vault........

Ad Ware finds no sign of anything......

And the doxdesk detection dosnt find anything, but did before I ran the Ad
Ware...........Arrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Can anyone advise me on how to solve this VERY annoying problem, Please

Steve

--
----------Pull The Pin to Reply-------------

°Mike°

Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...b;en-us;263455

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 22:49:50 +0100, in
<bjlhkb$3l5$(E-Mail Removed)>
Steve 'Wacko' scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

PhilGreg

"Steve 'Wacko'" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjlhkb$3l5$(E-Mail Removed)...

[snip]
> I have installed Ad Ware and checked the system, the scan detected

Internet
> optimizer and placed it in Quarentine. I then scanned using AVG but

still
> found I had 7 viruses in the _ReSTORE folder..................all

off these
> are the Dyfuca parasite.

[snip]

Turn off system restore, this will delete the Restore files. Scan
w/AV. Reboot, turn System Restore back on.

--
Phil

\\\///
( o o )
--------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

Steve 'Wacko'

How would I do that Phil ????

I have a large amount of video clips which I have downloaded, I think this
may have tipped the 'amount' of data in the Restore files over the
top...........

What exactly are the Restore files..............

TIA

Steve

--
"PhilGreg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Steve 'Wacko'" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bjlhkb$3l5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> [snip]
> > I have installed Ad Ware and checked the system, the scan detected

> Internet
> > optimizer and placed it in Quarentine. I then scanned using AVG but

> still
> > found I had 7 viruses in the _ReSTORE folder..................all

> off these
> > are the Dyfuca parasite.

> [snip]
>
> Turn off system restore, this will delete the Restore files. Scan
> w/AV. Reboot, turn System Restore back on.
>
> --
> Phil
>
> \\\///
> ( o o )
> --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------
> (E-Mail Removed)

PhilGreg

"Steve 'Wacko'" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjlsm1$nli$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How would I do that Phil ????
>
> I have a large amount of video clips which I have downloaded, I

think this
> may have tipped the 'amount' of data in the Restore files over the
> top...........
>
> What exactly are the Restore files..............
>
> TIA

==> I don't know if you're using ME or XP. I tried ME for @ a month
and got rid of it<G> and then went back to 98. Unfortunately, I forgot
how to do it in ME and I'M on 2K and never bothered w/XP. IOW, I can't
help you there, hopefully someone w/XP will tell you how. At any rate,
the process I listed will work.

--
Phil

\\\///
( o o )
--------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------
(E-Mail Removed)

PhilGreg

"Steve 'Wacko'" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjlsm1$nli$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How would I do that Phil ????
>
> I have a large amount of video clips which I have downloaded, I

think this
> may have tipped the 'amount' of data in the Restore files over the
> top...........
>
> What exactly are the Restore files..............

==> IN XP, Control Panel/System Properties to turn it off. Then in
Control Panel/Services turn it off. Reboot into safe mode and delete
the folder. reboot and resume surfing.

--
Phil

\\\///
( o o )
--------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------
(E-Mail Removed)

Steve 'Wacko'

What actually are the RESTORE files Phil...........????????????

I have ME, *only* because it was on the system and the Win 98 I have is a
little suspect with USB.........

I would once just like to run a PC without any hassle..

Really Appreciate everyones help....

Steve

--
"PhilGreg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Steve 'Wacko'" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bjlsm1$nli$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How would I do that Phil ????
> >
> > I have a large amount of video clips which I have downloaded, I

> think this
> > may have tipped the 'amount' of data in the Restore files over the
> > top...........
> >
> > What exactly are the Restore files..............
> >
> > TIA

> ==> I don't know if you're using ME or XP. I tried ME for @ a month
> and got rid of it<G> and then went back to 98. Unfortunately, I forgot
> how to do it in ME and I'M on 2K and never bothered w/XP. IOW, I can't
> help you there, hopefully someone w/XP will tell you how. At any rate,
> the process I listed will work.
>
> --
> Phil
>
> \\\///
> ( o o )
> --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------
> (E-Mail Removed)

Boomer

Steve 'Wacko' said:

> What actually are the RESTORE files Phil...........????????????
>
> I have ME, *only* because it was on the system and the Win 98 I
> have is a little suspect with USB.........
>
> I would once just like to run a PC without any hassle..
>
> Really Appreciate everyones help....
>
> Steve

Here's further informationon Win ME System Restore:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-
1&q=%22system+restore%22%2Bme

or http://tinyurl.com/mw43

> "PhilGreg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Steve 'Wacko'" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bjlsm1$nli$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > How would I do that Phil ????
>> >
>> > I have a large amount of video clips which I have downloaded,

>> think this
>> > may have tipped the 'amount' of data in the Restore files
>> > over the top...........
>> >
>> > What exactly are the Restore files..............
>> >
>> > TIA

>> ==> I don't know if you're using ME or XP. I tried ME for @ a
>> month and got rid of it<G> and then went back to 98.
>> Unfortunately, I forgot how to do it in ME and I'M on 2K and
>> never bothered w/XP. IOW, I can't help you there, hopefully
>> someone w/XP will tell you how. At any rate, the process I
>> listed will work.

PhilGreg

INTERSPERSED
"Steve 'Wacko'" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjmrcc$qtm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What actually are the RESTORE files Phil...........????????????

==> System files automagically backed up by your OS

> I have ME, *only* because it was on the system and the Win 98 I have

is a
> little suspect with USB.........

==> Personaly, after tryin ME for awhile I went back to 98 before
upgrading to 2K

> I would once just like to run a PC without any hassle..

==> ROFL. So would everybody else<GBG>

> Really Appreciate everyones help....

==> YW
> Steve