Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Finding drivers

Finding drivers

Emrys Davies

I am trying to educate myself in the art of finding device drivers.

My Display driver is an Ati XPERT98AGP2X(English) and is working
perfectly. I have been trying to find it on the Ati site, without
success.

Would someone kindly guide me through the necessary procedure, bearing
in mind that my knowledge of it is somewhat limited.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Stevo

Emrys Davies wrote:
> I am trying to educate myself in the art of finding device drivers.
>
> My Display driver is an Ati XPERT98AGP2X(English) and is working
> perfectly. I have been trying to find it on the Ati site, without
> success.
>
> Would someone kindly guide me through the necessary procedure, bearing
> in mind that my knowledge of it is somewhat limited.
>
> Regards,
> Emrys Davies.

Finding drivers for some hardware can be quite time consuming and
frustrating.. particularly with smaller, obscure manufacturers..

The first step is to correctly identify the hardware - either from a
manufacturers code or possibly from an FCC ID.

Another option is to Google for a driver using "XPERT+98+AGP+2X+Driver" for
example, as the search text and see what turns up..

The ATi site http://www.ati.com/products/multimedia.html has a link on the
left for Product Identification and is the best place to start.

In your case, I think the ATi 'name' for the product is something like
"XPERT@Play™ 98 AGP"

From http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/1998/4101.html it is known that
the card uses the Rage Pro chipset and with that information a browse
through the drivers and software section should turn up the correct driver
for you..

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

Stevo

Stevo wrote:

> Finding drivers for some hardware can be quite time consuming and
> frustrating.. particularly with smaller, obscure manufacturers..
>
> The first step is to correctly identify the hardware - either from a
> manufacturers code or possibly from an FCC ID.

My apologies, I forgot to give this URL...

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/..

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

DanOne

" Emrys Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message
news:bjhlsr$iu6jt$(E-Mail Removed)-b
erlin.de...
| I am trying to educate myself in the
art of finding device drivers.

| My Display driver is an Ati
XPERT98AGP2X(English) and is working
| perfectly. I have been trying to find
it on the Ati site, without
| success.
|
| Would someone kindly guide me through
the necessary procedure, bearing
| in mind that my knowledge of it is
somewhat limited.

| Regards,
| Emrys Davies.

Why would you need drivers if it works
perfectly?

Paul - xxx

Emrys Davies tried to scribble ...

> I am trying to educate myself in the art of finding device drivers.
>
> My Display driver is an Ati XPERT98AGP2X(English) and is working
> perfectly. I have been trying to find it on the Ati site, without
> success.
>
> Would someone kindly guide me through the necessary procedure, bearing
> in mind that my knowledge of it is somewhat limited.
>
> Regards,
> Emrys Davies.

http://www.drivershq.com/Main.asp
http://www.rosyscomputers.com/drivers.htm
http://www.drivers.com/

Have all been (for me) useful driver sources. They do also offer a certain
amount of help when looking for more obscure drivers as well ..

--
.............................Paul - xxx
Seti 1947 wu in 14832 hours

B.Al.Zeebub

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:32:55 +0100, B.Al.Zeebub witnessed another prime example of Darwinism when he read:

> My Display driver is an Ati XPERT98AGP2X(English)

A search of the Ati website came up with this.

http://tinyurl.com/mmb4

Then this:

http://tinyurl.com/mmba

Take your pick...drivers listed for Win98, Win2000, WinME, NT 4.0

Emrys Davies

'DanOne',

Trust you to ask that. I said that I am trying to educate myself in the
art of finding device drivers.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"DanOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjhths$e2r$(E-Mail Removed)...

> " Emrys Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in message
> news:bjhlsr$iu6jt$(E-Mail Removed)-b
> erlin.de...
> | I am trying to educate myself in the
> art of finding device drivers.
> |
> | My Display driver is an Ati
> XPERT98AGP2X(English) and is working
> | perfectly. I have been trying to find
> it on the Ati site, without
> | success.
> |
> | Would someone kindly guide me through
> the necessary procedure, bearing
> | in mind that my knowledge of it is
> somewhat limited.
> |
> | Regards,
> | Emrys Davies.
> |

> Why would you need drivers if it works
> perfectly?

Emrys Davies

Thanks everyone. This is my first introduction into drivers proper and
you have done me proud.

Having digested your advice, I finished up getting the relevant details
from off my expansion cards and then searching 'Driver's Guide' with
them.

Pleasingly, I was successful when I found my way around that site but,
thanks to you, I have had a good day.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.