Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CHKDSK doesn't run if I have a bad shutdown in WinXP Pro (SP1)

CHKDSK doesn't run if I have a bad shutdown in WinXP Pro (SP1)

Jimmy Dean

clues?

jd

Computer Guy

Hello,
CHKDSK does not automatically run as Scandisk did in earlier versions of
windows.
Go to a command prompt, Type chkdsk /F
When you hit enter it will either run it or prompt you to run at next boot.
Reboot
DennisC
"Jimmy Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> clues?
>
> jd

Jimmy Dean

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 21:05:06 -0700, "Computer Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

Thanks.

>Hello,
>CHKDSK does not automatically run as Scandisk did in earlier versions of
>windows.

That's interesting, though it did..

>Go to a command prompt, Type chkdsk /F
>When you hit enter it will either run it or prompt you to run at next boot.
>Reboot
>DennisC

When I do run CHKDSK /f and it does run at next boot, it seems to
destabilise my system eg. running cmd.exe (which I do regularly)
causes the system to lock up. Norton's Disk Doctor 2003 doesn't report
any errors, even tho CHKDSK does.

cheers
jd

Computer Guy

Hello,
CHKDSK /F will cause the system to check the system disk for errors, the /F
switch means to fix
any and all errors it finds automatically and without prompting you.
You need not run this utility very often. I only run it on some of my
clients
machines and once on one of my own. I had a client whose complaint was
Windows 2000 failed to
boot, I ran chkdsk /f and bigger than life it fixed the problems without the
necessity of going
through the repair process. It is a valuable tool to have in your arsenal.
I also like Symantec products, however I personally like to use the native
tools in Windows.
The fact that chkdsk found problems and Symantec did not suggests to me it
does not run
a very thorough test.
DennisC

"Jimmy Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 21:05:06 -0700, "Computer Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks.
>
> >Hello,
> >CHKDSK does not automatically run as Scandisk did in earlier versions of
> >windows.

> That's interesting, though it did..
>
> >Go to a command prompt, Type chkdsk /F
> >When you hit enter it will either run it or prompt you to run at next

boot.
> >Reboot
> >DennisC

> When I do run CHKDSK /f and it does run at next boot, it seems to
> destabilise my system eg. running cmd.exe (which I do regularly)
> causes the system to lock up. Norton's Disk Doctor 2003 doesn't report
> any errors, even tho CHKDSK does.
>
> cheers
> jd

Timmy

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 14:03:02 +1000, Jimmy Dean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>clues?

Yes you can get it working again. Go to Kelly's corner.
Dave