Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Recover Deleted Partition

Recover Deleted Partition

Shawn

Hi,
I am using a HP Pavilion running on XP Home. I decided to fool around with
it this weekend and tried installing linux. But somewhere along the line I
deleted my D(recovery) drive. It was actually part of my C drive. That's
the way it came when I bought it. I need this D drive (or partition,
whatever it's called) back! But I don't know how to do it.

I downloaded some software from partition-recovery.com but it doesn't seem
to work well. I get a "This application has attempted to directly access
the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This program may function
incorrectly" error message. Does anyone know a way I can recover my deleted
partition?

BTW, I downloaded the "EasyRecovery DataRecovery Tool". That seems to work
well, but you have to buy it before it does anything. Kinda expensive.
I'll go this route if nobody has a cheaper alternative. Thanks.

-Shawn

Gray Ghost

"Shawn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Hi,
> I am using a HP Pavilion running on XP Home. I decided to fool around
> with it this weekend and tried installing linux. But somewhere along
> the line I deleted my D(recovery) drive. It was actually part of my C
> drive. That's the way it came when I bought it. I need this D drive
> (or partition, whatever it's called) back! But I don't know how to do
> it.
>
> I downloaded some software from partition-recovery.com but it doesn't
> seem to work well. I get a "This application has attempted to
> directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This
> program may function incorrectly" error message. Does anyone know a
> way I can recover my deleted partition?
>
> BTW, I downloaded the "EasyRecovery DataRecovery Tool". That seems to
> work well, but you have to buy it before it does anything. Kinda
> expensive. I'll go this route if nobody has a cheaper alternative.
> Thanks.
>
> -Shawn

Shawn my friend... most likely your data is gone. As it would be when you
installed Linux it formatted the partition that your data on your "d" drive
lived. If it had merely erased the FAT or file allocation table you might
be able to get it back, but most likely it's toast as new files have been
written over it when you installed Linux.

-gg-

Boomer

Gray Ghost said:

> "Shawn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> Hi,
>> I am using a HP Pavilion running on XP Home. I decided to fool
>> around with it this weekend and tried installing linux. But
>> somewhere along the line I deleted my D(recovery) drive. It
>> was actually part of my C drive. That's the way it came when I
>> bought it. I need this D drive (or partition, whatever it's
>> called) back! But I don't know how to do it.
>>
>> I downloaded some software from partition-recovery.com but it
>> doesn't seem to work well. I get a "This application has
>> attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be
>> supported. This program may function incorrectly" error
>> message. Does anyone know a way I can recover my deleted
>> partition?
>>
>> BTW, I downloaded the "EasyRecovery DataRecovery Tool". That
>> seems to work well, but you have to buy it before it does
>> anything. Kinda expensive. I'll go this route if nobody has a
>> cheaper alternative. Thanks.
>>
>> -Shawn
>>

> Shawn my friend... most likely your data is gone. As it would
> be when you installed Linux it formatted the partition that your
> data on your "d" drive lived. If it had merely erased the FAT
> or file allocation table you might be able to get it back, but
> most likely it's toast as new files have been written over it
> when you installed Linux.
>
> -gg-

It's a ghost!!!

How the heck are you??

Gray Ghost

Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3f5bfdd3$0$51608
$(E-Mail Removed):

> Gray Ghost said:
>
>> "Shawn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

<snipped for its lack of relevancy to what is to be said
below...professionally by the ghost with the most>

>> Shawn my friend... most likely your data is gone. As it would
>> be when you installed Linux it formatted the partition that your
>> data on your "d" drive lived. If it had merely erased the FAT
>> or file allocation table you might be able to get it back, but
>> most likely it's toast as new files have been written over it
>> when you installed Linux.
>>
>> -gg-

> It's a ghost!!!
>
> How the heck are you??

Hey there Miss Boomer
*hands you a kiwi from Austrailia*
Enjoy

I've been here and there and everywhere. On the plus side I've only been
in the office like 8 days in two months... yay for being single and on
the road a lot.

Oh well, I just thought that I would pop onto here from my new pad here
near the DC.

But yeah, things are going good. I've learned a lot about Unix and
troubleshooting it and thinking that there's going to be an increase in
my paycheck once I get my certifications out of the way and what not.

24 years old and ready to rock some shell scripts baby!

Hmmm, okay, Timmy, Yahoo and Google are demanding that I hang out with
them as I haven't been around the house that much recently.

Tah tah,
-gg-

By the way, how are you?

Boomer

Gray Ghost said:

> Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

[snip]
>> It's a ghost!!!
>>
>> How the heck are you??

> Hey there Miss Boomer
> *hands you a kiwi from Austrailia*
> Enjoy

Ooooooh YUM! Thank you very much?

Hands gg two donuts.

> I've been here and there and everywhere. On the plus side I've
> only been in the office like 8 days in two months... yay for
> being single and on the road a lot.

Do you like being on the road? Sounds great to me!

> Oh well, I just thought that I would pop onto here from my new
> pad here near the DC.

Arlington? Georgetown? <bg>

> But yeah, things are going good. I've learned a lot about Unix
> and troubleshooting it and thinking that there's going to be an
> increase in my paycheck once I get my certifications out of the
> way and what not.

When will that be? I'm mucho happy and excited for you!

> 24 years old and ready to rock some shell scripts baby!

You go kid!

> Hmmm, okay, Timmy, Yahoo and Google are demanding that I hang
> out with them as I haven't been around the house that much
> recently.
>
> Tah tah,
> -gg-

Tell them hi for me. (I miss 'um.)

> By the way, how are you?

Same. Same. Not much new. Which is good, I guess.

Take care and please drop by more often!!!!

Gray Ghost

Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3f5d422e$0$51588
$(E-Mail Removed):
> Gray Ghost said:
>
>> Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> [snip]
>>> It's a ghost!!!
>>> How the heck are you??

>> Hey there Miss Boomer
>> *hands you a kiwi from Austrailia*
>> Enjoy

> Ooooooh YUM! Thank you very much?
>
> Hands gg two donuts.

No thanks, I'm trying to cut back on that sort of stuff in honor of Mr.
Al, the super plonker.

>> I've been here and there and everywhere. On the plus side I've
>> only been in the office like 8 days in two months... yay for
>> being single and on the road a lot.

> Do you like being on the road? Sounds great to me!

It's okay as long as I'm with one or two people I know. This week coming
up I'll be on my own the better part of the time. So this week I have in
Florida is going to be okay, but I guess it'll be semi boring since I
won't have anyone to run around town with.

>> Oh well, I just thought that I would pop onto here from my new
>> pad here near the DC.

> Arlington? Georgetown? <bg>

Begins with an 'A', but not Arlington.

>> But yeah, things are going good. I've learned a lot about Unix
>> and troubleshooting it and thinking that there's going to be an
>> increase in my paycheck once I get my certifications out of the
>> way and what not.

> When will that be? I'm mucho happy and excited for you!

Eh, I guess I would have to take the cert courses, but hey, let's just
say that I'm one of the people they like to call in to fix things on the
weekends... fun at times, but sad at others.

>> 24 years old and ready to rock some shell scripts baby!

> You go kid!

Thanks =) How are your daughters?

>> Hmmm, okay, Timmy, Yahoo and Google are demanding that I hang
>> out with them as I haven't been around the house that much
>> recently.

> Tell them hi for me. (I miss 'um.)

Yeah, Timmy is a trouble maker I tell you. Two teddy bears + Timmy, oi
vey.

>> By the way, how are you?

> Same. Same. Not much new. Which is good, I guess.
>
> Take care and please drop by more often!!!!

You're always more than welcome to e-mail me or IM me you know...

gg

Boomer

Gray Ghost said:
[snip]

> You're always more than welcome to e-mail me or IM me you
> know...

I would like to do that!
I'll have to see if I can dig out that info.

Gray Ghost

Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3f5d501e$0$51588
$(E-Mail Removed):

> Gray Ghost said:
> [snip]
>
>> You're always more than welcome to e-mail me or IM me you
>> know...

> I would like to do that!
> I'll have to see if I can dig out that info.

You can always e-mail me...*hug*

Boomer

Gray Ghost said:

> Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:3f5d501e$0$51588 $(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Gray Ghost said:
>> [snip]
>>
>>> You're always more than welcome to e-mail me or IM me you
>>> know...

>> I would like to do that!
>> I'll have to see if I can dig out that info.

> You can always e-mail me...*hug*

I will, once I dig out your addy.

{gg}

Gray Ghost

Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3f5d6dee$0$51631
$(E-Mail Removed):

> Gray Ghost said:
>
>> Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:3f5d501e$0$51588 $(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Gray Ghost said:
>>> [snip]

>>> I would like to do that!
>>> I'll have to see if I can dig out that info.

>> You can always e-mail me...*hug*

> I will, once I dig out your addy.

That might not work since I sort of no longer have a grayghost@____.___

Try