Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Update

Windows Update

Earl Brant

Using OS XP Home Edition

Windows Update is suggesting I update my Modem Driver.

Does the ole' computer addage...'if it works don't fix it" apply in my case?

Previously Windows Update suggested I udpate my Video Driver...I did and all
works well.

WHAT ARE YOUR SUGGESTIONS & RECOMMENDATIONS

Thanks!!!

trout

Earl Brant wrote:

> Using OS XP Home Edition
>
> Windows Update is suggesting I update my Modem Driver.
>
> Does the ole' computer addage...'if it works don't fix it" apply in
> my case?
>
> Previously Windows Update suggested I udpate my Video Driver...I did
> and all works well.
>
> WHAT ARE YOUR SUGGESTIONS & RECOMMENDATIONS
>
> Thanks!!!

My *opinion*? I regularly check for updates, but do not install one
unless it: a) fixes something that doesn't work; b) let's me do
something that I couldn't, before; or c) improves security/fixes a
vulnerability.
--
"And, at that; I usually wait a week or so, to see if anybody says it's
buggered them up."

Mike0000

I turn them down. In fact I've seen windowsupdate change my video
driver to an older version. Sure, the older version was "signed" by MS
(for all the good that will do), but it hurt 3D performance.

You are completely right to take a conservative approach on updating
drivers. The only time I would consider it if there was a known issue,
even then the manufacturer or OEM probably has a better driver waiting
for you.

--
Mike
Block Banner Ads Now

Earl Brant wrote:

> Using OS XP Home Edition
>
> Windows Update is suggesting I update my Modem Driver.
>
> Does the ole' computer addage...'if it works don't fix it" apply in

my case?

> Previously Windows Update suggested I udpate my Video Driver...I did

and all
> works well.
>
> WHAT ARE YOUR SUGGESTIONS & RECOMMENDATIONS
>
> Thanks!!!

Owdio

Never use Windows update for any peripheral drivers.
I learned that the hard way.
Always use the manufacturers site and even then, I always hold off a while
and see if anyone posts problems.
Having said that, I say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
--
Owdio

news:jWB6b.5341$(E-Mail Removed) ...