Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Freezing whilst in IE

Freezing whilst in IE

cowlingfamily

Hi
For the past couple of days I have been unable to sustain a proper use of
IE. I can connect no problem both to IE and OE however when I am in IE and I
want to navigate using the tool bar at the top it wont work. If I want to
click on something within the page I can but then I get a white hand that
stays like that all the time therefore not allowing access to anything else.
I have to keep using Ctrl, Alt +Del to escape. MS then asks if I want to
send an error report and I have said yes, it informs me that there could be
fix for it by updating to the next version of IE - I click on the link and I
get the same thing - a white hand.
I scan for viruses every night and nothing has been picked up.
Anyone with suggestions please help me.
Regards
Anne

area 51

"cowlingfamily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjene4$d45$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> For the past couple of days I have been unable to sustain a proper use

of
> IE. I can connect no problem both to IE and OE however when I am in IE

and I
> want to navigate using the tool bar at the top it wont work. If I want

> click on something within the page I can but then I get a white hand

that
> stays like that all the time therefore not allowing access to anything

else.
> I have to keep using Ctrl, Alt +Del to escape. MS then asks if I want

> send an error report and I have said yes, it informs me that there

could be
> fix for it by updating to the next version of IE - I click on the link

and I
> get the same thing - a white hand.
> I scan for viruses every night and nothing has been picked up.
> Anyone with suggestions please help me.
> Regards
> Anne

If your anti virus is not completely up to date and you want to put your
mind to rest, use housecall for a online check.
It does take a bit of time if you are on dialup, so be patient.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

cowlingfamily

Hi
Thanks for replying, I have automatic update that will hopefully ensure that
i am covered!!, do you have any other suggestions?
Cheers
Anne
"area 51" <top @secret..org> wrote in message
news:bjesfi$jtk$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

anything
> else.
> > I have to keep using Ctrl, Alt +Del to escape. MS then asks if I

want
> > send an error report and I have said yes, it informs me that there

> could be
> > fix for it by updating to the next version of IE - I click on the

link
> and I
> > get the same thing - a white hand.
> > I scan for viruses every night and nothing has been picked up.
> > Anyone with suggestions please help me.
> > Regards
> > Anne
> >

> If your anti virus is not completely up to date and you want to put

your
> mind to rest, use housecall for a online check.
> It does take a bit of time if you are on dialup, so be patient.

Have you a disc, could try reinstalling IE?

cowlingfamily

Hi
As far as I am aware I don't have a disc - should I??
"area 51" <top @secret..org> wrote in message
news:bjf2sm$6lr$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "area 51" <top @secret..org> wrote in message
> news:bjesfi$jtk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "cowlingfamily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bjene4$d45$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi
> > > For the past couple of days I have been unable to sustain a proper

> use
> > of
> > > IE. I can connect no problem both to IE and OE however when I am in

> IE
> > and I
> > > want to navigate using the tool bar at the top it wont work. If I

> want
> > > click on something within the page I can but then I get a white hand

> > that
> > > stays like that all the time therefore not allowing access to

> anything
> > else.
> > > I have to keep using Ctrl, Alt +Del to escape. MS then asks if I

> want
> > > send an error report and I have said yes, it informs me that there

> > could be
> > > fix for it by updating to the next version of IE - I click on the

> link
> > and I
> > > get the same thing - a white hand.
> > > I scan for viruses every night and nothing has been picked up.
> > > Anyone with suggestions please help me.
> > > Regards
> > > Anne
> > >

> > If your anti virus is not completely up to date and you want to put

> your
> > mind to rest, use housecall for a online check.
> > It does take a bit of time if you are on dialup, so be patient.
> > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
> >

> Have you a disc, could try reinstalling IE?

area 51

"cowlingfamily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjf9h3$9ra$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> As far as I am aware I don't have a disc - should I??
> "area 51" <top @secret..org> wrote in message
> news:bjf2sm$6lr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "area 51" <top @secret..org> wrote in message
> > news:bjesfi$jtk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "cowlingfamily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bjene4$d45$(E-Mail Removed)...

proper
> > use
> > > of

in
> > IE
> > > and I

> > want

hand
> > > that

> > anything
> > > else.

> > want

there
> > > could be

the
> > link
> > > and I
> > > >
> > > If your anti virus is not completely up to date and you want to

put
> > your
> > > mind to rest, use housecall for a online check.
> > > It does take a bit of time if you are on dialup, so be patient.
> > > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
> > >

> > Have you a disc, could try reinstalling IE?

Any computer magazine will have IE6 on the cover disc in the utilities
section

cowlingfamily

Thanks for your help

"area 51" <top @secret..org> wrote in message
news:bjf9rn$d77$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "cowlingfamily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bjf9h3$9ra$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> > As far as I am aware I don't have a disc - should I??
> > "area 51" <top @secret..org> wrote in message
> > news:bjf2sm$6lr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "area 51" <top @secret..org> wrote in message
> > > news:bjesfi$jtk$(E-Mail Removed)...

> proper
> > > use

> in
> > > IE

> > > want

> hand
> > > anything
> > > want

> there

> the
> > > link

> put
> > > your
> > > >
> > > Have you a disc, could try reinstalling IE?
> > >

> Any computer magazine will have IE6 on the cover disc in the utilities
> section

Boomer

cowlingfamily said:

> Hi
> For the past couple of days I have been unable to sustain a
> proper use of IE. I can connect no problem both to IE and OE
> however when I am in IE and I want to navigate using the tool
> bar at the top it wont work. If I want to click on something
> within the page I can but then I get a white hand that stays
> like that all the time therefore not allowing access to anything
> else. I have to keep using Ctrl, Alt +Del to escape. MS then
> asks if I want to send an error report and I have said yes, it
> informs me that there could be fix for it by updating to the
> next version of IE - I click on the link and I get the same
> thing - a white hand. I scan for viruses every night and nothing
> has been picked up. Anyone with suggestions please help me.
> Regards
> Anne

Hi

Have you tried to repair IE?
Control Panel> Add-Remove Programs.
Highlight your IE entry and click on the "Add/Remove" button.
Choose to repair.

If you need to update and can't you might try
Windows Update Troubleshooter
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

HTH

Mike0000

Use another browser to goto the IE download site and download the IE 6
installer. Download the .exe and run it.

--
Mike
Block Banner Ads Now