Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Vaio fan

Vaio fan

D Bagshaw

Hi all,

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-FX705 laptop and the fan only works on slow speed and
it keeps on crashing! Cannot find any adjustments in the power panel to
check if its a software problem or some kind of hardware problem. Can
anyone help?

Thanx.

°Mike°

Maybe the fan needs replacing. Here is a tutorial on taking a Sony
laptop apart:
http://www.myplc.com/sony/laptop_dis..._processor.htm

If you don't feel confident doing that, take it to a professional.

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 15:24:12 +0100, in
<b6m6b.401$(E-Mail Removed)>
D Bagshaw scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

JabberSmith

"D Bagshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:b6m6b.401$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Sony Vaio PCG-FX705 laptop and the fan only works on slow speed

and
> it keeps on crashing! Cannot find any adjustments in the power panel to
> check if its a software problem or some kind of hardware problem. Can
> anyone help?
>
> Thanx.

Might try getting new chipset drivers (for the motherboard).

I think Vaios use software to control the fan speeds (not hardware on the
MOBO like a sensible company would do). I use various bootable CD versions
of Linux on mine and the fan NEVER runs on it with those OSs.

Could have a bad fan switch though, in that case it's an expensive fix.