Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mapping users to a network drive on a microsoft server

Mapping users to a network drive on a microsoft server

cromi

We are moving off a Novell server and onto a microsoft one and want to
know how to map all the users drives so for example all the users z
drive points at the users data. Thanks for your help

why?

On 5 Sep 2003 23:06:56 -0700, cromi wrote:

>We are moving off a Novell server and onto a microsoft one and want to
>know how to map all the users drives so for example all the users z
>drive points at the users data. Thanks for your help

RTFM(s) and setup a test server to work out the config / user and group
rights first.

Admin Tools / User Manager / <user account> / Profile , for NT4.
Admin Tools / Computer Management / Local Users and Goups.

Do it in the login script

net use z: \\<server>\<path>\%username%
sort of thing.

Create the individual user shares using $ as the last char.

Whatever OS (you didn't say) get the Resource kit CD, there are adduser
tools, which will read a CSV file and create the accounts in a batch and
the policy tools.

Me

Thund3rstruck

cromi Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
<(E-Mail Removed) >:

> We are moving off a Novell server and onto a microsoft one and want
> to know how to map all the users drives so for example all the users
> drive points at the users data. Thanks for your help

Here's a simple .bat file you can use

net use z: /delete
# used to keep from throwing errors if the mapping exists
net use z: \\<computername>\share
# drive mapping of course

===

Now, where this file goes depends on the server you're using. Once
it's in the proper location, just add it's name to the 'logon script'
section of the user's settings on the server, and it'll run when they
login...

HTH

NOI