Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > OT: Gateway connected DVD

OT: Gateway connected DVD

Ken Briscoe

Hi all,
I know it's off topic, but here goes...I just got my Gateway connected DVD
player, it's all set up and everything's working great. Seeing as it is
connected to my home network, and my network is connected to the
internet....is there any way to get the DVD player to see "beyond" the
computers on my network? Say, to a friend's computer over the internet? Or
failing that, is there a way to meander around the internet using the DVD
player? I'm assuming this would require either a firmware upgrade or a
physical mod to the player. And since Gateway doesn't have any new firmware,
this would be a hack job basically. But has anyone heard of such a thing? Is
it even do-able? Also, could anyone point me to an appropriate newsgroup
where there are "experts" in this? Thanks.

KB

---
Virus? In the computer? Are you serious?

gangle

This is not OT, therefore I do not understand how you
could "know" that it was.

"Ken Briscoe" wrote
> Hi all,
> I know it's off topic, but here goes...I just got my Gateway connected DVD
> player, it's all set up and everything's working great. Seeing as it is
> connected to my home network, and my network is connected to the
> internet....is there any way to get the DVD player to see "beyond" the
> computers on my network? Say, to a friend's computer over the internet? Or
> failing that, is there a way to meander around the internet using the DVD
> player? I'm assuming this would require either a firmware upgrade or a
> physical mod to the player. And since Gateway doesn't have any new firmware,
> this would be a hack job basically. But has anyone heard of such a thing? Is
> it even do-able? Also, could anyone point me to an appropriate newsgroup
> where there are "experts" in this? Thanks.

Ken Briscoe

> This is not OT, therefore I do not understand how you
> could "know" that it was.

You're such a big help. The post was not typical of what is usually found in
this NG. 99% of posts are about computers. This is not. Hence, OT. But
thanks anyways.

---
Virus? In the computer? Are you serious?