Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Empty Folders ...

Empty Folders ...

Raine

Hi all,
Windows XP Home IE6.

In my Documents and Settings folder for Administrator(me), Applications
Data, Identities, is a list of numbers. When I click them they tell me
the folders are empty.
Can I safely delete them, please?

Raine.

I just do what the little voices tell me to do!!

Sentient Fluid

"Raine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VQ16b.2980$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> Windows XP Home IE6.
>
> In my Documents and Settings folder for Administrator(me), Applications
> Data, Identities, is a list of numbers. When I click them they tell me
> the folders are empty.
> Can I safely delete them, please?
>
> Raine.

Can't answer your question, but it's more secure if you create a different
account to log into your computer on, rather than using the Administrator
account. The Admin account has access to *everything* on your computer and
if someone/thing happens to gain access to that account, they/it can change
pretty much anything they want to... Just an FYI...

~SF~

Liz

"Raine" wrote
> Windows XP Home IE6.
>
> In my Documents and Settings folder for Administrator(me), Applications
> Data, Identities, is a list of numbers. When I click them they tell me
> the folders are empty.
> Can I safely delete them, please?

No. Read here on How to Maintain Your OE Store Folder
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm

How to clean up your Hard Drive
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/howto-16.html

By the way, you need to reboot your PC before proceeding
with: Start> Search> Files and Folders> Search for *.tmp
This will prevent you from deleting files that are in use.

As for IE temp files, you can right-click the IE icon,
go to properties, click Delete files, check Offline Content>
OK.

Raine

"Sentient Fluid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0256b.98188$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "Raine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VQ16b.2980$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> > Windows XP Home IE6.
> >
> > In my Documents and Settings folder for Administrator(me),

Applications
> > Data, Identities, is a list of numbers. When I click them they tell

me
> > the folders are empty.
> > Can I safely delete them, please?
> >
> > Raine.

> Can't answer your question, but it's more secure if you create a

different
> account to log into your computer on, rather than using the

Administrator
> account. The Admin account has access to *everything* on your

computer and
> if someone/thing happens to gain access to that account, they/it can

change
> pretty much anything they want to... Just an FYI...
>
> ~SF~

Hi SF,

Now you have got me curious, how do I create a different account?
I'm the main user, I log on under Main Identity. Please explain further,
I need further details.
Take the *bright* out of my email address if you want to email me.
Thanks.
Raine.

Sentient Fluid

"Raine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8866b.7130$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Sentient Fluid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0256b.98188$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > "Raine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:VQ16b.2980$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi all,
> > > Windows XP Home IE6.
> > >
> > > In my Documents and Settings folder for Administrator(me),

> Applications
> > > Data, Identities, is a list of numbers. When I click them they tell

> me
> > > the folders are empty.
> > > Can I safely delete them, please?
> > >
> > > Raine.

> > Can't answer your question, but it's more secure if you create a

> different
> > account to log into your computer on, rather than using the

> Administrator
> > account. The Admin account has access to *everything* on your

> computer and
> > if someone/thing happens to gain access to that account, they/it can

> change
> > pretty much anything they want to... Just an FYI...
> >
> > ~SF~

> Hi SF,
>
> Now you have got me curious, how do I create a different account?

You said "In my Documents and Settings folder for Administrator(me)..."
which indicates that you are using the Administrator account that was
created when you installed Windows. To create a new User Account, just go
to Start>Control Panel> User Accounts. It is pretty much self-explanatory
from that point on

http://tinyurl.com/mepi for more info.

> I'm the main user, I log on under Main Identity. Please explain further,
> I need further details.

Are you talking about OE here? Just go to File>Manage Identities>Add New
Identity.

http://tinyurl.com/mepr for more info.

Hope that helps you out some, Raine

Raine

"Sentient Fluid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eT86b.903054$(E-Mail Removed). ca...
> "Raine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8866b.7130$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Sentient Fluid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:0256b.98188$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > > "Raine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:VQ16b.2980$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Applications

tell
> > me

> > > Can't answer your question, but it's more secure if you create a

> > different
> > > account to log into your computer on, rather than using the

> > Administrator
> > > account. The Admin account has access to *everything* on your

> > computer and
> > > if someone/thing happens to gain access to that account, they/it

can
> > change
> > > pretty much anything they want to... Just an FYI...
> > >
> > > ~SF~

> > Hi SF,
> >
> > Now you have got me curious, how do I create a different account?

> You said "In my Documents and Settings folder for

Administrator(me)..."
> which indicates that you are using the Administrator account that was
> created when you installed Windows. To create a new User Account,

just go
> to Start>Control Panel> User Accounts. It is pretty much

self-explanatory
> from that point on
>
> http://tinyurl.com/mepi for more info.
>
> > I'm the main user, I log on under Main Identity. Please explain

further,
> > I need further details.

> Are you talking about OE here? Just go to File>Manage Identities>Add

New
> Identity.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/mepr for more info.
>
> Hope that helps you out some, Raine

Actually, no I wasn't. I have 4 email addresses in OE6.
Wires got crossed someplace.

Raine.

Sentient Fluid

"Raine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news596b.8896$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Sentient Fluid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eT86b.903054$(E-Mail Removed). ca...
> > "Raine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:8866b.7130$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Sentient Fluid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:0256b.98188$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> > > Applications

> tell
> > > me

> > > different
> > > Administrator
> > > computer and

> can
> > > change

> > > Hi SF,
> > >
> > > Now you have got me curious, how do I create a different account?

> > You said "In my Documents and Settings folder for

> Administrator(me)..."
> > which indicates that you are using the Administrator account that was
> > created when you installed Windows. To create a new User Account,

> just go
> > to Start>Control Panel> User Accounts. It is pretty much

> self-explanatory
> > from that point on
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/mepi for more info.
> >
> > > I'm the main user, I log on under Main Identity. Please explain

> further,
> > > I need further details.

> > Are you talking about OE here? Just go to File>Manage Identities>Add

> New
> > Identity.
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/mepr for more info.
> >
> > Hope that helps you out some, Raine

> Actually, no I wasn't. I have 4 email addresses in OE6.
> Wires got crossed someplace.
>
> Raine.

Okie.. no problem. I got confused by "Main Identity". It's the default
identity for OE...

And Identities don't necessarily have anything to do with email addresses.
*shrug*

Did anything I said hit the mark??

Raine

"Sentient Fluid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ara6b.903829$(E-Mail Removed). ca...
> "Raine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news596b.8896$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Sentient Fluid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:eT86b.903054$(E-Mail Removed). ca...
> > > "Raine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:8866b.7130$(E-Mail Removed)...

message

they
> > tell

they/it
> > can

account?

> > > You said "In my Documents and Settings folder for

> > Administrator(me)..."
> > > which indicates that you are using the Administrator account that

was
> > > created when you installed Windows. To create a new User

Account,
> > just go
> > > to Start>Control Panel> User Accounts. It is pretty much

> > self-explanatory
> > > from that point on
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/mepi for more info.

> > further,
> > >
> > > Are you talking about OE here? Just go to File>Manage

Identities>Add
> > New
> > > Identity.
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/mepr for more info.
> > >
> > > Hope that helps you out some, Raine

> > Actually, no I wasn't. I have 4 email addresses in OE6.
> > Wires got crossed someplace.
> >
> > Raine.

> Okie.. no problem. I got confused by "Main Identity". It's the

default
> identity for OE...
>
> And Identities don't necessarily have anything to do with email

addresses.
> *shrug*
>
> Did anything I said hit the mark??

Yes it did, ty.
I am the main user of the computer, the Account is in my brother's name.
He gave the computer to me after my accident, mainly to keep me occupied
during the day.
Bit complicated, hehehe. And if you want more then you'll just have to
email me for the details.
Raine.