Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Network Mail Service

Network Mail Service

geopelia

Is the following genuine or a virus please?

From Network Mail Service
to Internet mailservice receiver
Subject Mail

There is nothing in the message, but the following attachments are shown
ATT00042.txt(432 bytes)
ATT00045.txt (444 bytes)

Is this safe to open please ?

Geopelia

Rifleman

geopelia wrote:
> Is the following genuine or a virus please?
>
> From Network Mail Service
> to Internet mailservice receiver
> Subject Mail
>
> There is nothing in the message, but the following attachments are
> shown ATT00042.txt(432 bytes)
> ATT00045.txt (444 bytes)
>
> Is this safe to open please ?
>
> Geopelia

There's usually no problems with opening a text file - but do a virus sweep
of it first just to be on the safe side.

Micron

You usually get this as an email that is returned due to it not being
delivered. the ATT00042.txt is just an attachment with your origional
message. Its not a Virus, but could still contain one.

Micron

http://www.experiencewindows.com
Professional Help & Support

"geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8u_5b.138139$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is the following genuine or a virus please?
>
> From Network Mail Service
> to Internet mailservice receiver
> Subject Mail
>
> There is nothing in the message, but the following attachments are shown
> ATT00042.txt(432 bytes)
> ATT00045.txt (444 bytes)
>
> Is this safe to open please ?
>
> Geopelia

geopelia

news:YW_5b.1781$(E-Mail Removed)...

-
> Micron
>
> http://www.experiencewindows.com
> Professional Help & Support

> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8u_5b.138139$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is the following genuine or a virus please?
> >
> > From Network Mail Service
> > to Internet mailservice receiver
> > Subject Mail
> >
> > There is nothing in the message, but the following attachments are

shown
> > ATT00042.txt(432 bytes)

THIS CONTAINS A VIRUS
> > ATT00045.txt (444 bytes)

THIS CONTAINS A VIRUS

> > Is this safe to open please ?

No.

> > Geopelia

Thank you.

I clicked both attachments and each contained a virus. Xtra removed them
both and advised that is what they were.
No harm done, but look out if this message and the attachments are sent to
you. I find xtra is very good, reasonably priced and great at removing
viruses.

It looks like "Network Mail Service" is like these messages that purport to
come from Microsoft.

Any comments please?

Geopelia

trout

geopelia wrote:

> "Micron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:YW_5b.1781$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You usually get this as an email that is returned due to it not being
>> delivered. the ATT00042.txt is just an attachment with your origional
>> message. Its not a Virus, but could still contain one.
>>
>> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:8u_5b.138139$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Is the following genuine or a virus please?
>>>
>>> From Network Mail Service
>>> to Internet mailservice receiver
>>> Subject Mail
>>>
>>> There is nothing in the message, but the following attachments are
>>> shown ATT00042.txt(432 bytes)

> THIS CONTAINS A VIRUS
>>> ATT00045.txt (444 bytes)

> THIS CONTAINS A VIRUS
>>>
>>> Is this safe to open please ?

> No.
>>>
>>> Geopelia
>>>

> Thank you.
>
> I clicked both attachments and each contained a virus. Xtra removed
> them both and advised that is what they were.
> No harm done, but look out if this message and the attachments are
> sent to you. I find xtra is very good, reasonably priced and great at
> removing viruses.
>
> It looks like "Network Mail Service" is like these messages that
> purport to come from Microsoft.
>
> Any comments please?
>
> Geopelia

It's very difficult to say, without seeing the headers of the
original message, or knowing which virus it actually was.
There are two main possibilities. It could be a virus-created fake
address in a mail that was sent to you. It could be a mail that was sent
from an infected computer (of someone with your address in their book)
that spoofed your address as a 'return' address; that was 'sent back' as
undeliverable.
Either way, you did the right thing (although it would have been
nice to be able to inform the infected party or their ISP of what had
happened).
--
"Suspicion is healthy."

geopelia

news:bje43t$i53ae$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> geopelia wrote:
>
> > "Micron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:YW_5b.1781$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> You usually get this as an email that is returned due to it not being
> >> delivered. the ATT00042.txt is just an attachment with your origional
> >> message. Its not a Virus, but could still contain one.
> >>
> >> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:8u_5b.138139$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > THIS CONTAINS A VIRUS

> > THIS CONTAINS A VIRUS

> > No.

> > Thank you.
> >
> > I clicked both attachments and each contained a virus. Xtra removed
> > them both and advised that is what they were.
> > No harm done, but look out if this message and the attachments are
> > sent to you. I find xtra is very good, reasonably priced and great at
> > removing viruses.
> >
> > It looks like "Network Mail Service" is like these messages that
> > purport to come from Microsoft.
> >
> > Any comments please?
> >
> > Geopelia

> It's very difficult to say, without seeing the headers of the
> original message, or knowing which virus it actually was.
> There are two main possibilities. It could be a virus-created fake
> address in a mail that was sent to you. It could be a mail that was sent
> from an infected computer (of someone with your address in their book)
> that spoofed your address as a 'return' address; that was 'sent back' as
> undeliverable.
> Either way, you did the right thing (although it would have been
> nice to be able to inform the infected party or their ISP of what had
> happened).
> --
> "Suspicion is healthy."

Thank you. I have been trying to contact this Network Mail as they keep
sending me a message that I need to update urgently. When I click their
message frame I see that with Windows ME and Outlook Express 5.5 I don't
need to update. I have no idea what is going on, but now I know about the
virus I will just ignore them.

Geopelia