Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP

Windows XP

Anne

Have to reformat my hard drive I thought I would install Windows XP.
Installed ok but...........There's always a But
it no longer recognises my on board sound and modem.
I looked in device manager and under other devices there's two pci things
with a question mark over them
One is pci comms the other is pci audio where can I obtain these drivers.
I've looked on the xp disk and on the internet but no luck.
My modem is a motorola I think
Not sure what my on board sound is.

any help would be appreciated

Anne

---

Graham

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 12:10:05 +0100, "Anne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have to reformat my hard drive I thought I would install Windows XP.
>Installed ok but...........There's always a But
>it no longer recognises my on board sound and modem.
>I looked in device manager and under other devices there's two pci things
>with a question mark over them
>One is pci comms the other is pci audio where can I obtain these drivers.
>I've looked on the xp disk and on the internet but no luck.
>My modem is a motorola I think
>Not sure what my on board sound is.

Didn't you get a drivers disk when you bought your computer ?

12NooN Search Engine - http://www.12noon.net
65% payout to all our affiliates. Join today !

MESSAGE BOARD - http://www.12noon.net/forum

Thund3rstruck

Anne Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
<Ea_5b.196$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Have to reformat my hard drive I thought I would install Windows XP.
> Installed ok but...........There's always a But
> it no longer recognises my on board sound and modem.
> I looked in device manager and under other devices there's two pci
> things with a question mark over them
> One is pci comms the other is pci audio where can I obtain these
> drivers. I've looked on the xp disk and on the internet but no luck.
> My modem is a motorola I think
> Not sure what my on board sound is.
>
> any help would be appreciated

Here's what I would try. Connect to the net, then go intodevice
manager, click on the audio one, then properties.
From that point, tell it to update the driver from Windows Update.

HTH

NOI

Patrick

Anne wrote:
> Have to reformat my hard drive I thought I would install Windows XP.
> Installed ok but...........There's always a But
> it no longer recognises my on board sound and modem.
> I looked in device manager and under other devices there's two pci
> things with a question mark over them
> One is pci comms the other is pci audio where can I obtain these
> drivers. I've looked on the xp disk and on the internet but no luck.
> My modem is a motorola I think
> Not sure what my on board sound is.
>
> any help would be appreciated
>
> Anne
>

> ---

More info is required.
Goto 'System Information'
to get to 'System Information, do;

start button>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information

From System Information, look at the first display, see what usefull
information is thiere.
(Computer make/Model etc)

Then, in the lefthand panel:
click the '+' against 'Components'

Select 'Sound' or/and 'Modem' (if thiere) and take note of the make/model
of the parts.

Have a general look around in 'System Information' as you think fit (you
cannot change any settings).

Make note of the details that would identify the components (Make/Model)

Another Airnet User

You need the sound and modem drivers for that machine. It sounds like the
sound is built into the motherboard. Got any of the drivers disks or
documentation? If not, can you find out what they are from who sold you
the machine?

If you don't have the motherboard drivers disk, then try to determine what
kind of motherboard you have and get the drivers from their web site. You
may be able to ID the board from what ever written documentation you have,
looking at any writing on the board or running a software application that
gives you hardware information, like Sisoft Sandra.

If you have a modem card (newer ones are PCI), then you need to ID that as
well if you don't have the modem driver disk. Again, you may be able to ID
it from the writing on the modem or using something like Sisoft Sandra.

In article <Ea_5b.196$(E-Mail Removed)>,